Main Forums > The Roundtable

canned vension

(1/4) > >>

charby:
I was busy in the kitchen from 6:30pm last night until shortly after midnight canning several pints of tasty venison. Lot of work trimming the membrane and fat off of all the meat but when I pop one of those jars in the future all the knife work will be worth it.

The funny thing is at work a lot of us always ask each other what we got planned after work and I got a lot of weird looks when I said I was going to can the majority of the deer I shot on Saturday. Not that I shot a deer, I work with a few hunters and a lot "retired" hunters, just that I was canning venison.

So is canning that strange of an ordeal for a 31 year old male to do?

I can all year round, mostly salsa, preserves and jams, thinking about making pickles next summer. Growing up my father always did the canning in our family so I don't find it all that strange myself. I do have a hard time finding new jars after October, but I did find out Sunday that the grocery store up the street has a limited selection year round. I was happy to hear that.

If you want to know about the deer, little yearling button buck, not sure if you can call it a buck because it's package was extra tiny and had ovaries on the insides. (not undescended testicles because I located them too) When I first shot it, I thought it was a young doe, but when I flipped it over, behold the family jewels. The buttons were about the size of a pea on both sides of the brow. So at my best recollection I think I shot a hermaphrodite deer, joking around with a few of hunting buddies we can't decide between Boe or Duck as the proper term. Interesting field dress that turned into a dissection, I wish I had my digital camera with me to photograph it.

mtnbkr:

--- Quote ---So is canning that strange of an ordeal for a 31 year old male to doNo and it's a good skill to have.

I've never had canned meat before, how do you use it when you open a jar?  

I've been hearing more and more about hermaphadite deer in the past few years.  Are they getting more common or are we just hearing about it more frequently...

Chris

SADShooter:
I'm interested in learning more about the whole canning process (and wishing I had cared to pay attention in my grandmother's kitchen....stoopid kid). Any suggested resources?

charby:
mtnbkr

Canned meat usage. The meat is fully cooked inside the jar, but it is recommended that you bring it up to serving temperature before consumption just to be safe. I normally use canned deer as a meat in say deer and egg noodles, also sometimes i drain the juice from the jar and bread the meat chunks and chicken fry them. I have only canned chunked up meat, but I have read you can can everything from a whole steak to hamburger patties.

SSD Shooter

A good start is here.

http://www.homecanning.com/usa/

This is a good book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486278883/002-5386327-6528064?n=283155

and if you can find it

Kerr Home Canning Book (I found mine at a garage sale)

My advice from a young canning sage, skip the water bath canner and just pressure can everything, you can pressure can high acid foods and fruits some much quicker and safer. A new pressure canner is quite an investment at first, but they last forver. I use one that is over 30 years old that I picked up second hand a garage sale for $5 then put another $10 for new seals and inspection.

Also best advice of all Cleanliness is Godliness, plus keeps the microbes in check.

Charby

SADShooter:
Thanks! I'm already a homebrewer, so I've learned the value of sanitation, at the price of skunky beer rather than botulism...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version