Author Topic: Speaking of the "Call to Prayer"...  (Read 1591 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Speaking of the "Call to Prayer"...
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:23:16 PM »
Duke University is going to use the chapel to broadcast the islamic call to prayer Friday:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/15/us/duke-call-to-prayer/

Oh, except in one of the fastest turn-abouts in collegiate history, now they won't:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/duke-hold-weekly-muslim-call-prayer-chapel-tower-28247220

Apparently Mr. Graham knows exactly where to hit the university. It seems liberal hypocrisy does have bounds: their wallets.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Speaking of the "Call to Prayer"...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 04:44:54 PM »
I'd you check the pedigree of the dean who was behind this it's easy to see how it happened.  I am shocked anyone in the admin dared correct her. I expect litigation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Speaking of the "Call to Prayer"...
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »
Muslim students have been holding prayer services in the basement of the chapel for the past two years.

If they've already been holding services for two years, they already know where to find them. And the traditional call to prayer is (a) disrupting to the 14,300 students who DON'T "self identify" as Muslim, and (b) an anachronism in a day and age when everyone carries a smart phone that can be set to sound an alarm at prayer time.

If the Muslims think they need a call to prayer, they should go somewhere that it's the custom. Do you think a university in Saudi Arabia would allow Christian services in the mosque, or allow a Christian hymn to be played or a psalm to be read over a loudspeaker every Sunday?

Every day I learn to despise liberals even more than I did the day before.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:07:22 PM »
If they've already been holding services for two years, they already know where to find them. And the traditional call to prayer is (a) disrupting to the 14,300 students who DON'T "self identify" as Muslim, and (b) an anachronism in a day and age when everyone carries a smart phone that can be set to sound an alarm at prayer time.

If the Muslims think they need a call to prayer, they should go somewhere that it's the custom. Do you think a university in Saudi Arabia would allow Christian services in the mosque, or allow a Christian hymn to be played or a psalm to be read over a loudspeaker every Sunday?

Every day I learn to despise liberals even more than I did the day before.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:59:44 PM »
Kowtowing to the Muslims is about creating another protected class, pure and simple.  If you don't, you're Islmaphobe/racist/don't support freedom of religion, amirite?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
I think it is also a combination of 1) deep down, they really hate Christians, and 2) they know Muslims will atually hurt so they have a Stockholm Syndrome of sorts.  They will never admit this since Liberals are never wrong and will go out of their way to justify their own beliefs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 02:32:25 PM »
Kowtowing to the Muslims is about creating another protected class, pure and simple.  If you don't, you're Islmaphobe/racist/don't support freedom of religion, amirite?

It won't be long until it will be a hate crime, just like with other protected classes of people in our country.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 02:38:30 PM »

Just Sundays?  I time my morning routine by the carillons at the Baptist church half a mile away.  8AM every day, with special selections and a 11AM ringing on Sunday, and even more on Good Friday and Christmas Day.  Wonder how long that would last in a Muslim country.

Then again, wouldn't I Thessalonians 5:17 mean that they should also run a Christian call to prayer 24x7?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:42:46 PM by KD5NRH »

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 07:58:43 PM »
"There was considerable traffic and conversation and even a little bit of confusion, both within the campus and certainly outside, about what Duke was doing," Schoenfeld said. "The purposes and goals and even the facts had been so mischaracterized as to turn it into a divisive situation, not a unifying situation."

He also said there were concerns about safety and security, but he declined to elaborate on whether any specific threats had been received.
The bold part is what is getting play in these parts.  In other words, Duke gave into to "Christian" activists because of a threat of violence.  First time that has ever  showed up in print.  It was an ill-advised move by Duke and they were called out by one man.  Just shows what a little push-back will accomplish.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 08:31:26 AM »
The bold part is what is getting play in these parts.  In other words, Duke gave into to "Christian" activists because of a threat of violence.  First time that has ever  showed up in print.  It was an ill-advised move by Duke and they were called out by one man.  Just shows what a little push-back will accomplish.

He declined to elaborate on what the threats were because the legitimate threats were to their bottom line.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 12:56:23 PM »
I can't imagine being awakened at dawn by an imam making whining sounds in to a microphone. I mean, really, the sound is so obnoxious that they even cover their own ears.