Author Topic: The health care bill: why bother?  (Read 2940 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The health care bill: why bother?
« on: September 17, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »
I've called both my senators (Kohl and Feingold) about the health care bill, the stimulus bill, the bailout of GM and Chrysler, and other controversial issues this year. I've noticed, especially on the health care bill, that the staffers aren't particularly interested in what I have to say. In fact, they don't even take my name.

It's pretty obvious that they don't care what their constituents or the opponents of the bill think. Their minds are made up.

So, why call them? I'm beginning to think it would be better to let them pass some godawful bill and have the public screaming mad next year, and force congress to repeal it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: The health care bill: why bother?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »
Re-peal? What is this re-peal you speak of, Earthling?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:48:04 PM »
Make the honorable gesture; sometimes, even implausibly, it avails.

Are things likely to get worse before they get better, on health care and a slew of other issues? Probably.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
Make the honorable gesture; sometimes, even implausibly, it avails.

Maybe. I make it so I can face the guy in the mirror every morning.

It's pretty obvious that they don't care what their constituents or the opponents of the bill think. Their minds are made up.

If you could call those "minds."
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 04:08:50 PM »
Dick, I'm pickin' up what you're throwin' down. My senator is Debbie Stabenow and she just sends out the standard form letter "All Americans are entitled to health care"
Same kind of thing with everything else, but I keep calling and mailing, for the same reason as Standing Wolf.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »
Play the game by the rules.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 05:55:43 PM »
Play the game by the rules.

Yeah, well right now the rules are "we don't care what the voters say, we're going to do what our party bosses say."

It's time we changed the rules and send them all home.

I think it would be interesting to have a Republican introduce an amendment that requires all federal employees, including presidents, members of congress, civil servants, etc, who have ever worked for the .gov to be covered for the rest of their lives under Obamacare. Whatever they come up with, they won't have any choices. They'll have to live (or die) with it.

They'll vote the amendment down, of course, but it should be given such fanfare that the public can't help but see what happens.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
Yeah, well right now the rules are "we don't care what the voters say, we're going to do what our party bosses say."

I think it would be interesting to have a Republican introduce an amendment that requires all federal employees, including presidents, members of congress, civil servants, etc, who have ever worked for the .gov to be covered for the rest of their lives under Obamacare. Whatever they come up with, they won't have any choices. They'll have to live (or die) with it.

They'll vote the amendment down, of course, but it should be given such fanfare that the public can't help but see what happens.

Call their asses out at the next town hall meeting. I've been wanting to call out our local state rep, but she didn't have one last year and the year before she was absent for one and the other one I was out of town at a family function.

This year I'll skip a family function to get to the meeting. I'll even wear a suit and look as professional as I can before I question her.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »

Actually, one did.  My representative, actually.  Surprised the hell out of me. And yes, it was voted down, pretty quickly.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 08:52:24 PM »

That may not be the tradition, but firing the buggers is the rule.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 01:56:18 AM »
That may not be the tradition, but firing the buggers is the rule.
The big problem is that so many peaople don't play by our rules.  If they did, the bugger would have been out a long time ago.
Watch what the incumbent starts doing when things get tough for them.  They remind the voters of all the money they have brought to their districts , and how much more they will bring into the district if they are re-elected.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »
The big problem is that so many peaople don't play by our rules.  If they did, the bugger would have been out a long time ago.
Watch what the incumbent starts doing when things get tough for them.  They remind the voters of all the money they have brought to their districts , and how much more they will bring into the district if they are re-elected.

that is when we need to remind the voters who the money is stolen from in the first place :angel:

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
If the Democrats pass the health care bill as it has been publicized, there will be such a strong public reaction that the Democrats will loose control of both houses of the government.  I'm guessing that they expect to loose control anyway in the mid-term election and want to get what they can NOW.  Once it is passed, much of the damage is done.  But it really doesn't go into effect for a couple of years, but the funding starts immediately.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »
It could be worse, you could have my senators:  Durbin and Burris.   :| :mad: =( =|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vlZk1ZaslA
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 02:38:48 PM »
If the Democrats pass the health care bill as it has been publicized, there will be such a strong public reaction that the Democrats will loose control of both houses of the government.  I'm guessing that they expect to loose control anyway in the mid-term election and want to get what they can NOW.  Once it is passed, much of the damage is done.  But it really doesn't go into effect for a couple of years, but the funding starts immediately.
It doesn't go into effect until after Obama's first term is finished.  It is so important we need to pass it RIGHT NOW, but we don't need it to go into effect until 2113.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge