Author Topic: What an amazing week  (Read 13229 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: What an amazing week
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »
Politics implies citizenship.  That's where the word comes from: politikos.  The empowerment of human beings with social rights.  We didn't have politics before we had men with rights; what we had was tyrannical and autocratic social orders built on "power and the distribution of resources."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2009, 08:34:18 PM »
Your claim is that individual liberty cannot be separated from economic liberty. 

No, I did not make that claim.  I was saying that these attempts to plot ideology in two-dimensions are not as helpful or as objective as their proponents seem to think.  And the survey questions on such websites are often biased or just downright leading.  Below are two similar attempts, also discussed here.

http://www.politopia.com/interactive_map.htm
http://www.idealog.org/en/index

We don't need to have this discussion again though, if we want to fight we can just read every single thread we interact in and hear the same points.  I'll say government is a social contract and taxation for services is not bad if supported by the people, you'll say the government does not have the authority to tax and the commerce clause is bad.  We disagree.

You have me confused with someone else.  I can't imagine saying any of those things.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Some ideologies claim that individual and economic liberty are fully separable. I have not yet heard anybody explain how they plan to make the distinction.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner