Author Topic: Washington's red ink prompts run on pink paper  (Read 3824 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Washington's red ink prompts run on pink paper
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:52:16 PM »
It seems a way to communicate to the Washington Elitist may have been found.

Washington's red ink prompts run on pink paper
Notices to Congress closing in on 2 million after 1 week
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=111661

A run on pink paper? What?

That's exactly what's happening, largely because of the "Send Congress a Pink Slip" campaign that has reached the 2 million mark and is being called an "unprecedented success" and a historic grass-roots lobbying effort.

Under way just one week, 2 million "pink slips" – individually addressed notices to each member of the House and Senate, complete with sender's name and return address – are on their way to the Capitol by Fed Ex courier letting every member of Congress know there's discontent back on the home front.

Another full pallet of pink paper was delivered today to the printer who is doing the production work of the notices, and he has confirmed his newest order has put a "huge dent" in the overall supply of pink 8.5x11 paper, so he already has placed an order for more to be prepared for the demand.

The "pink slips" specifically warn that senders will oppose in the next election any member of Congress who votes for more spending, intrusive legislation that restricts personal freedom and more big government programs.

(Story continues below)

WND announced the ""Send Congress a Pink Slip" campaign last Friday and it has already surpassed a third of its stated goal of 5 million notices, individually addressed, personalized with senders name and address and delivered to all members of Congress by Fed Ex.

"This looks like a historic effort – comparable to the massive march in Washington, the tea party rallies and the town hall actions," said Joseph Farah, editor and chief executive officer of WND. "I'm quite sure nothing like this has ever before been undertaken."

"It's our version of a stimulus program," said Farah.

The idea was conceived by Janet Porter of Faith2Action and a WND weekly columnist.

"We set a goal of 5 million pink slips to members of Congress," she said. "It looks like we were too conservative in our projections. We will likely surpass that goal. I'm sure this has never been done before – and we're just getting started. This is unprecedented. It's a new record for getting the attention of Congress in such a short span of time."

Porter said the highest priority of members of Congress is re-election. The campaign is designed to put them on notice their hopes of staying in Washington are fading fast.

"There is a revolution brewing across this country," she said. "People are angry about losing their country and they are ready for action. This campaign is just the latest evidence."

The "Send Congress a Pink Slip" campaign ensures that a brief but poignant message will be delivered by Fed Ex to all 535 members of the House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate – all for a remarkably low price based on economies of scale.

The cost of each message translates to 18 cents per message – individually addressed for both the recipient and the sender and shipped by Fed Ex.

"We encourage citizens to take individual actions," said Farah. "But when we act as a group, it's more cost-effective and the results more dramatic. Just try Fed Exing members of Congress yourself and see what it costs. We have learned from past experience that Fed Ex actually ensures delivery to members. What they do with them at that point is their choice."

The program is based on several other successful programs of the past, including one last summer that delivered 705,000 letters to senators protesting a "hate crimes" bill dubbed by critics as "the Pedophile Protection Act."

"I believe this is already the most successful grass-roots effort in history," said Porter. "After all the town halls and tea parties and the massive demonstration in Washington, Congress still hasn't gotten the message. Now it's time to show them just how serious we are with a message aimed at what they most care about – getting re-elected."

The "pink slip" officials are getting is a warning that they work for the taxpayers. It lists four key issues that are deemed unacceptable to participants.

government health care

cap and trade

"hate crimes"

any more spending
"If you vote for any of these, your real pick slip will be issued in the next election," it warns.

The program permits participants to Fed Ex 535 individually addressed messages to members of Congress, each one with the name and address of the sender for a total price of $29.95.

"This is a program that only works with massive numbers of participants that bring paper and printing and shipping costs way down," explains Farah, editor and chief executive officer of WND, which has conducted similar programs in the past – this one being the largest and most ambitious.

Farah and Porter say the campaign will continue indefinitely.

Note: If you're a member of the media and would like to interview Joseph Farah or Janet Porter, e-mail WND.

Send your pink slips to Congress now

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Washington's red ink prompts run on pink paper
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 12:08:01 AM »
Remember that Farah owns/runs WND. He may be exaggerating his own success here.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:15:24 AM »
The thing is, it's a threat to not vote for politicians if they mishbehave.

But the other guy is misbehaving too. They all are. What do they have to lose?

The threat to vote for the other guy isn't going to work because there is no other guy. The only option is to abstain from voting. That doesn't work.

I think a few million slips making threatening consequences more tangible and immediate would be more effective.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

erictank

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 05:29:45 AM »

The threat to vote for the other guy isn't going to work because there is no other guy. The only option is to abstain from voting. That doesn't work.

Y'know, occasionally, there are actually more than two choices on the ballot for a particular seat - sometimes, people with something other than an (R) or (D) beside their names run for office, even! 

Try actually checking out your other options next time, you might find someone better than "the lesser of two evils" to vote for, for a change.  Get enough people to do it, and...

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 06:41:54 AM »
Try actually checking out your other options next time, you might find someone better than "the lesser of two evils" to vote for, for a change.  Get enough people to do it, and...

...ACORN will have to register entire census reports to negate your votes.

(Really, does anybody not think that their involvement in the first place was to get a better list than the phone book/death records/random name generator?)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »
...ACORN will have to register entire census reports to negate your votes.

(Really, does anybody not think that their involvement in the first place was to get a better list than the phone book/death records/random name generator?)

I don't.
Census determines districts.  Districts determine number of congresscritters.
Acorn would have happily lied about the numbers and disproportionately counted states like California and New York so they can have or keep congressional seats.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »

...and you'll secure the election of the "worser of the too evils", a la Ross Perot getting Willy Jeff Clinton elected not once but twice.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 11:23:40 AM »
Even if you are not sure if the other guys is better or worse, sometimes it is good just to kick out the incumbent so they know it can be done.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »

I think a few million slips making threatening consequences more tangible and immediate would be more effective.

Now that is a brilliant strategy for brilliant fail.  The "threat not to vote for politicians" is the threat that worries them.  It doesn't matter to Congressman Corruption that they other guy is misbehaving.  He just wants to keep his job.  This is very simple. 

Making death threats, or whatever you have in mind, just makes them feel like martyrs - which inspires them to keep up the struggle.  And besides, if I were Congressman Corruption, I would be much more worried that I might lose my job, than that some disgruntled citizen is going to hurt me.  The former sounds like a real, "tangible" threat that may very well be fulfilled; the latter just sounds like a hot-head blowing off steam.  I wouldn't take that very seriously. 

I don't.
Census determines districts.  Districts determine number of congresscritters.
Acorn would have happily lied about the numbers and disproportionately counted states like California and New York so they can have or keep congressional seats.

Gerrymandering is the obvious goal. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 11:52:56 AM »
Y'know, occasionally, there are actually more than two choices on the ballot for a particular seat - sometimes, people with something other than an (R) or (D) beside their names run for office, even! 

Wouldn't it be possible to have a more decent candidate by participating in the primaries?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »
Wouldn't it be possible to have a more decent candidate by participating in the primaries?

Do they even run primaries for incumbents in most districts?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »
Do they even run primaries for incumbents in most districts?

I am not sure. But if you have a Democrat representing you, wouldn't there at least be a Republican primary?

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
Yes I am aware of this fact.  When the 3rd party candidates start getting more than 15% of the vote, I will think about trying them.

I have voted against the incumbant in every election for the past 30+ years, but it doesn't seem to do any good.  I even voted against Bush in the primary.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »
I am not sure. But if you have a Democrat representing you, wouldn't there at least be a Republican primary?

Not always.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 09:05:42 AM »
A>Democrats and republicans control local election machinery.

B>Democrats and republicans via state legislatures apportion the vote after each and every census.

Conclusion>Until fact A is changed and Fact B is changed, there never will be a viable third party.  Reality!  Accept it!  Deal with it!  Adapt to it!   
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »
As Waitone said, the two parties draw the districts. They agree to draw district lines so that the districts are solidly Democrat or solidly Republican.

I'm sure it's the same in other states besides Wisconsin, but here the party decides which candidate in a primary gets the money. It's almost always the incumbent. If for some reason it's not (incumbent retiring, for example), it's the candidate who does the best job of toeing the party line.

Thus it's extremely difficult and nearly impossible to get the type of candidate you want elected, no matter how hard you try.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 05:47:50 PM »
Yes I am aware of this fact.  When the 3rd party candidates start getting more than 15% of the vote, I will think about trying them.

Congratulations - you're an integral part of the very problem you decry.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 08:14:18 PM »
Congratulations - you're an integral part of the very problem you decry.
Tell them to run as one of the two main parties and they will probaby win, just like Ron Paul did.  They don't have to change their thoughts, just their label.