Author Topic: Well, Arnold Did It  (Read 7123 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Well, Arnold Did It
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:42:19 PM »
Breaking: Jackass Governor Signs Ammunition Restriction Bill.

Looks like the ammo shortage won't be letting up in CA anytime soon. People are going to flock to the gunshows to prep for 2011.

-----------------
http://www.redding.com/news/2009/oct/12/gov-signs-ammunition-sales-bill/

Schwarzenegger signs ammunition sales bill

By Ryan Sabalow

Originally published 09:18 a.m., October 12, 2009
Updated 09:18 a.m., October 12, 2009

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger today signed into law a bill that requires buyers of handgun ammunition to leave thumbprints and detailed personal information with registered ammo sellers, as well as put restrictions on online bullet sales.

“Assembly Bill 962 reasonably regulates access to ammunition and improves public safety without placing undue burdens on consumers,” Schwarzenegger said in a letter explaining his decision.

The new restrictions will take effect Feb. 1, 2011.

Authored by Assemblyman Kevin de Leon, D-Los Angeles, the bill bans direct shipping to Californians who buy bullets via mail order or over the Internet.

Instead, any ammo they buy would need to be picked up at a licensed handgun ammunition dealer, similar to the way guns are currently bought and sold.

The bill doesn’t require a waiting period to pick up ammunition as there is when purchasing firearms. All handgun ammunition must be kept behind store counters.

Ammunition that can be used in both pistols and rifles — like the popular .22 caliber round used by target shooters and small game hunters — fall under the new restrictions.

The bill also would require that those purchasing ammunition provide photo ID and a thumbprint.

The information would be kept on file and made available to law enforcement agencies.

Around a dozen gang-plagued cities in California have enacted similar local ordinances, geared to keep gang members from buying ammunition or tracking them down when they do.

De Leon spokesman Dan Reeves has said the local laws have helped police track down 200 criminals who bought handgun ammunition. Some were drug dealers and many had large caches of illegal guns or explosives.

Under the law, anyone who knowingly sells handgun ammunition to a felon would be committing a misdemeanor. The law also would make it a misdemeanor for documented gang members to possess handgun ammunition.

The bill has been criticized by gun rights advocates, online ammunition retailers and Republicans.

John Moffett, a clerk at Jones’ Fort gun store in Redding, said today that the bill will put an extra regulatory hurdle on consumers and ammunition dealers.

“It’s going to be a hassle on both ends,” Moffett said.

Though Schwarzenegger vetoed a similar bill in 2004, saying the federal government’s attempt at similar legislation proved to be “unworkable and offered no public safety benefit,” the governor today said that De Leon’s bill struck a fair balance between public safety and didn’t put undue burdens on bullet vendors and firearms dealers.

Reporter Ryan Sabalow can be reached at 225-8344 or at rsabalow@redding.com.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Well, Arnold Did It
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:54:16 PM »
I know we aren't allowed to call out for politicians to be shot, dismembered, defenestrated or such, but are we allowed to call out for them to be slapped for their stupidity? If so, then he should be. (If not, pay no attention to previous statement)
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:59:07 PM »
The law also would make it a misdemeanor for documented gang members to possess handgun ammunition.

Who gets to decide what makes a group a "gang"?

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »
Who gets to decide what makes a group a "gang"?
Your betters of course. Now go back to work, peon. Countless millions of moochers depend on the taxes you pay! Doesn't that give you a warm and tingly feeling?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:04:41 PM »
By the way: Are they going to use the old dye-and-paper method of getting the thumb print, or is it all digital now? If it's the dye-and-paper, I'm sure they'll get lots of usable prints ;) :rolleyes:.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »
Forecast: stores in Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon will be selling more ammo, and auto repair shops will be selling more shock absorbers ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:31:13 PM »
defenestrated

I don't think we have any prohibitions on throwing politicians out of windows. =|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 06:38:09 PM »

I really question the sanity of people who think this is a good idea.  Didn't they used to record purchasing ammo and it got tossed out by FOPA ?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 06:53:56 PM »
When they say 'bullets cannot be shipped' do they really mean hand loading stuff?

I don't imagine many Crips and Bloods are out there with a Dillon in their basement.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »
When they say 'bullets cannot be shipped' do they really mean hand loading stuff?

I don't imagine many Crips and Bloods are out there with a Dillon in their basement.

I imagine they'll just ignore the law and import their ammo.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 07:02:28 PM »
I really question the sanity of people who think this is a good idea.  Didn't they used to record purchasing ammo and it got tossed out by FOPA ?

Around 1978. I forgot when they ended it, but it was only a few years after it started.

Well anyway, I've always wanted to make it up to the Reno gun show, and I've got a 3/4 ton truck, so I'm covered as long as there's ammo. :)

I reload for all my handguns and rarely buy commercial handgun ammo, but my fear is that this will also start a run on reloading components. I'm already contemplating contributing to that by getting a bunch more brass, bullets and primers than I normally keep on hand now, to try and beat the price increases. It's gone start looking like a TEOTWAWKI depot around my place pretty soon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »
You can always count on Republicrats.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 07:07:12 PM »
Just what I need, more kaliforicators moving to Nevada.  Thank you Arnold, go ahead push more libs out of your state.  All the registration data shows that more dems than Republicans are registering.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 08:04:34 PM »
I imagine they'll just ignore the law and import their ammo.   

Or steal it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 08:17:04 PM »
Just what I need, more kaliforicators moving to Nevada.  Thank you Arnold, go ahead push more libs out of your state.

Why would this push leftists out of the state? It will likely have an opposite effect and push more people trying to turn things around into giving up and moving. We'll essentially lose more conservatives to other states.

I have seen leftists move to other states after the taxes they voted for began to affect them, but few if any of them would care about or be affected by an ammunition restriction law -- in fact they will embrace it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 09:40:31 PM »
Why would this push leftists out of the state? It will likely have an opposite effect and push more people trying to turn things around into giving up and moving. We'll essentially lose more conservatives to other states.

Your conservatives are our leftists    :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 09:43:31 PM »
Wonder if I should move to the Nevada border and open a shop. Rent secure storage units too for the inmates to keep their goodies in.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 10:03:06 PM »
Joel 2:3
Before them fire devours, behind them a flame blazes. Before them the land is like the garden of Eden, behind them, a desert waste— nothing escapes them.

http://rgj.com/article/20091008/NEWS07/91008030/-1/news1802

Number of Nevada voters increased by 5 percent

October 8, 2009

CARSON CITY (AP) — The number of registered voters in Nevada as of September is nearly 5 percent higher over the same month a year ago, with the largest percentage increase being in those registered as non-partisan.

Secretary of State Ross Miller says of the 54,451 additional voters who have registered in the past year, 15,670 registered as non-partisan, a 9 percent increase from September 2008.

About 25,000 registered as Democrats, up 5 percent, while 8,200 registered as Republicans, up nearly 2 percent.

When compared to the same month in the last election cycle, September 2007, the total number of registered voters is up 15 percent, or by nearly 160,000 voters.

Of those, 66 percent registered as Democrats, 21 percent at as non-partisan, and 7 percent as Republicans.

Please tell me these people are from some other state than kali

Gemoriah.com

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »
Wonder if I should move to the Nevada border and open a shop. Rent secure storage units too for the inmates to keep their goodies in.

I've thought the same thing.  I'd sell incandescent light bulbs, non-serialed ammo, and high-flow toilets.  =D 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 10:35:30 PM »
I've thought the same thing.  I'd sell incandescent light bulbs, non-serialed ammo, and high-flow toilets.  =D 

Not to mention, computer monitors, just to avoid the $20 disposal fee.  Just don't bring in any bras, you'll loose your shorts on them.  So to speak.

Gemoriah.com

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 10:55:08 PM »
Not to mention, computer monitors, just to avoid the $20 disposal fee.  Just don't bring in any bras, you'll loose your shorts on them.  So to speak.

Hrm?

Is there a $20 tax on new monitors?  And bras?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 10:59:23 PM »
I see ammo shops opening up all along the kali border...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 01:40:26 AM »
according to calguns.net it will fail in Court & in doing so will eliminate
local ordinance that is similar to the State.

Lets hope so, the bill also outlaws speedloaders and moonclips.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »
I should probably just mosey on over to the other side of our server, but being lazy, did Calguns mention who would be doing the suing? It would be great to see it thrown out, but my hopes are not high at getting an unbiased judge.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 10:36:35 AM »
according to calguns.net it will fail in Court & in doing so will eliminate
local ordinance that is similar to the State.

Lets hope so, the bill also outlaws speedloaders and moonclips.
How does it do that?  Or maybe why?

I guess any 45 ACP revolver would be a bit more difficult to use. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge