Author Topic: NFL commissioner says no Limbaugh  (Read 7647 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: NFL commissioner says no Limbaugh
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »
Yup.  I don't think this is 'political' exactly.  Goodell seems to be saying he wants nice, quiet football owners who don't habitually create controversy.

As opposed to many of the players who are now making some very outrageous and politically-motivated statements about Limbaugh?

From the LA Times:

Word that Rush Limbaugh is interested in buying the St. Louis Rams has some African American football players swearing off any future employment with the team.

New York Giants defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka and New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott say they would never play for the Rams if Limbaugh owned the team.

Kiwanuka told the New York Daily News, "I don't want anything to do with a team that he has any part of. He can do whatever he wants, it is a free country. But if it goes through, I can tell you where I am not going to play." Scott said, "He could offer me whatever he wanted, I wouldn't play for him. . . . I wouldn't play for Rush Limbaugh. My principles are greater and I can't be bought." Just what the hapless Rams need: Quality players who refuse to play for them.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 04:54:32 PM »
As opposed to many of the players who are now making some very outrageous and politically-motivated statements about Limbaugh?

From the LA Times:

Word that Rush Limbaugh is interested in buying the St. Louis Rams has some African American football players swearing off any future employment with the team.

New York Giants defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka and New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott say they would never play for the Rams if Limbaugh owned the team.

Kiwanuka told the New York Daily News, "I don't want anything to do with a team that he has any part of. He can do whatever he wants, it is a free country. But if it goes through, I can tell you where I am not going to play." Scott said, "He could offer me whatever he wanted, I wouldn't play for him. . . . I wouldn't play for Rush Limbaugh. My principles are greater and I can't be bought." Just what the hapless Rams need: Quality players who refuse to play for them.

See?  Already creating controversy!   :laugh:

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »
Thing is, it wasn't Limbaugh who created the controversy.  Apparently the deal had been in the works all this year, and Limbaugh hadn't said a word about it.  It was the news goons and professional race-baiters that mouthed off about it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
I'm not sure why Limbaugh's specific politics are assumed to be the reasoning when it makes sense as simple business decision. The guy is very controversial...

We're not assuming that L's politics are "the reasoning," we're knowing it.  Everyone knows it.  It's his political commentary that is, as you say, controversial.  But of course it is a business decision, which is influenced by L's politics. 

and while this choice isn't going to please everyone it seems like an attempt to create the least fuss.

Sure.  Sorta like dissing MLK so as not to upset the racists. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 07:17:24 PM »
I just love people making comments about a person who they probably never listened to at least once or to a few days of his show.  All they do is spout off based on what someone else has said about that person.

Racism is drawing negative conclusions and then taking scurilous action based on an uninformed belief about the worth of another human being based on the color of his skin.  So what would we say is the "ism" when uninformed decisions and scurilous actions are taken based on the worth of another human being that we have never once met or heard speak a word?

Hypocricy they name is.....
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

ronnyreagan

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 10:26:23 PM »
We're not assuming that L's politics are "the reasoning," we're knowing it.  Everyone knows it.  It's his political commentary that is, as you say, controversial.  But of course it is a business decision, which is influenced by L's politics. 

My point is that it is not his specific politics (conservative) that are being rejected, but the controversy that always surrounds him. Some people seem to believe that he is being rejected for being conservative, while I think it's much more likely that it's just due to how controversial he is and that a similarly controversial left wing personality would receive similar treatment. While I will admit that I'm not too familiar with Goodell and his previous decisions, I doubt there's any pattern of political bias that people are using to draw such conclusions. I suspect an equally conservative but less controversial bidder would encounter none of the problems Limbaugh that has. Limbaugh loves being despised by a significant chunk of the country, this type of thing goes with the territory.

Sure.  Sorta like dissing MLK so as not to upset the racists. 

And I thought Obama's "cult of personality" was bad. Next can we compare Limbaugh to Jesus?  :angel:
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 10:56:48 PM »
so the question is, if bill maher or michael moore wanted a team. what would happen? :angel:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 10:57:28 PM »
Methinks you meant [Foghorn Leghorn voice] instead.

jb

Oh, bruddah...  :-[
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 11:02:20 PM »
Oh, bruddah...  :-[

dude, you have 2863 posts. you should be used to the humor here. =D some of us are lucky if we get to laugh once a week :angel:

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 11:02:37 PM »
I think it's much more likely that it's just due to how controversial he is and that a similarly controversial left wing personality would receive similar treatment.
Ha!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 11:12:42 PM »
Has anyone actually read sports reporters? They are teh farthest left of the MSM.

Whether it is becasue they feel like pikers when others write about more serious topics or becasue they see the reality of disproportionate talent allocaation across ethnic groups and work extra-hard to dismiss the reality, they are the most PC group-thinkers to be found.

Of course they are going to go apeshinola on Rush.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »
Quote from: ronnyreagan on Today at 10:26:23 PM
I think it's much more likely that it's just due to how controversial he is and that a similarly controversial left wing personality would receive similar treatment.

You really don't believe that, do you?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »
dude, you have 2863 posts. you should be used to the humor here. =D some of us are lucky if we get to laugh once a week :angel:

Look closely, sanglant, that was the embarrassment smiley I used back there.  =)
A guy makes a widdle mistake... =D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:45:39 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 11:47:47 PM »
I suspect an equally conservative but less controversial bidder would encounter none of the problems Limbaugh that has.

No one has claimed that the NFL gives all potential owners an anal exam on their political views and then rejects all conservatives, so what is your point?  To suggest that Limbaugh was dumped (and dumped on) due to controversy, and not because of his specific brand of controversy, is to ignore a very obvious pattern of modern American society.  We can state without any hesitation that equally controversial leftists would not receive anything like this level of heat; Al Sharpton, Al Franken, Al Gore, Michael Moore, Whoopi Goldberg.  We could go on, but few leftists really equal Limbaugh's level of exposure.  Case in point; George Soros - also a partner in the Checketts group. 

Limbaugh loves being despised by a significant chunk of the country, this type of thing goes with the territory.
I'm not shedding any tears for him.  He's a big boy, and he's been dealing with this for twenty years.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 09:51:07 AM »
I just love people making comments about a person who they probably never listened to at least once or to a few days of his show.  All they do is spout off based on what someone else has said about that person.

Racism is drawing negative conclusions and then taking scurilous action based on an uninformed belief about the worth of another human being based on the color of his skin.  So what would we say is the "ism" when uninformed decisions and scurilous actions are taken based on the worth of another human being that we have never once met or heard speak a word?

Hypocricy they name is.....
Agreed.  Hearing the quotes from a few of those players who commented was nuts.  It was obvious that none of them had ever listened to him or even knew what he said including that ESPN mess a few years ago.  They were solely going by what others told them.  It was pathetic.  I guarantee you that if Rush's team was the only one calling, they wouldn't hesitate to sign that contract.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ronnyreagan

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 09:54:54 AM »
No one has claimed that the NFL gives all potential owners an anal exam on their political views and then rejects all conservatives, so what is your point?  
People have claimed that conservatives can't buy things that liberals can, when really it's divisive loudmouths who are being excluded and not conservatives.

My point has not been about Limbaugh being dumped on in general or saying the controversy surrounding him isn't political, I've been specifically referring to Goodell and his decision. My entire point is that Goodell's decision was the right one to make for the NFL and there's no reason to assume his decision was a political one when it makes sense as a business decision. That much controversy surrounding a buyer is a good enough reason to reject him whether that controversy is political or not.

He would be forced to make the same decision if George Soros' presence in the group caused similar outrage - but it simply does not because George Soros is less controversial. Just because everyone here dislikes him and believes he should cause more of an uproar doesn't make it so. No one really cares enough to make noise about it and because of that Goodell doesn't have to reject him like he did Limbaugh. It's not because he's a liberal and Limbaugh's a conservative, it's because no one is claiming they'll never play for a team because of George Soros. I can't think of a liberal who would cause the same fracas as Limbaugh.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »
Look closely, sanglant, that was the embarrassment smiley I used back there.  =)
A guy makes a widdle mistake... =D

ah, my meds musta been workin good, heh i thought you had this little guy :mad:. and you had this one :-[.

oops :-[

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »
so the question is, if bill maher or michael moore wanted a team. what would happen? :angel:

Actually that is a good example.  If Michael Moore tried to buy a team I imagine there would be similar outcry.  No-one would want to be part of whatever scheme he was working on that required embarrassing and misquoting a NFL team.

(Edit: As a liberal, I would have zero problems partnering with Rush on something like this, but I would never enter a deal like this with Moore.  Ever.)