Author Topic: Helen Thomas Tells WH to Knock it Off  (Read 2468 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Helen Thomas Tells WH to Knock it Off
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »
When Helen Thomas tells the Obama admin to layoff the attacks on Foxnews, you know that he's gone too far -- and also that hell has frozen over.

------------------
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/lachlan-markay/2009/10/19/helen-thomas-warns-white-house-quit-attacking-fox-news

Helen Thomas Warns White House to Quit Attacking Fox News
By Lachlan Markay (Bio | Archive)
October 19, 2009 - 15:38 ET

Veteran White House correspondent Helen Thomas, who has covered every president since Jack Kennedy, advised the White House to abandon their attacks on Fox News today. She attributed the administration's visceral reaction to the cable outlet to a naive sense of invincibility generally held by new presidents (video embedded below the fold).

Asked by Joe Scarborough of MSNBC's 'Morning Joe' what "we want our president to know and do," in reference to the title of her new book, Thomas immediately replied "stay out of these fights... They can only take you down. You can't kill the messenger."

Thomas's coauthor, CQ reporter Craig Crawford, added that "presidents are better off, Joe, when they punch up and not down."

The White House punched down at its hardest yet this weekend, when Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and chief political advisor David Axelrod derided Fox News on the Sunday talk shows.

Emanuel said the cable network is "not a news organization so much as it has a perspective." Axelrod claimed that the channel's programming is "really not news, it's pushing a point of view."

Thomas explained that Presidents generally enter office with a sense of invincibility. "They feel so empowered, they can say anything, do anything." Such a sentiment would explain the White House's apparent shock that Fox would consistently question their major initiatives. As Thomas added, Presidents "soon get slapped back."

The attacks from Axelrod and Emanuel signal a shift in the administration's anti-Fox message to the higher echelons of the executive power structure. Last week, White House Communications Director Anita Dunn spearheaded the campaign against the news network until she admitted--in jest, she claims--that Communist China's brutal former dictator Mao Ze Tung is one of "my two favorite philosophers."

Pundits seized on Dunn's words, including Fox's Glenn Beck, who this morning claimed that "now that we've exposed Anita as yet another radical in the White House, they're going to need to jettison Anita Dunn, especially after what we show you tonight. She'll have to go away, because we're asking too many questions about Anita. So now we get up to the big boys."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Helen Thomas Tells WH to Knock it Off
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »
And in other news, a cold front is moving across Purgatory and into the Ninth Ring...
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 11:25:36 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/20/campaign-mode-obama-raises-cash-dems/

Quite the sinister shot to go with the story.  Good to see fox hitting back.

That pic ain't nothing like these:

Bwahahahahahaha! =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »
Time to censor the media, I guess. :O
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »
Time to censor the media, I guess. :O

That's the next step.  After all, isn't it Cass Sunstein who believes that the First Amendment only protects speech that promotes society and the general good?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:51:33 PM »
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/10/todays-qs-for-os-wh-10202009.html

Wow, more of the media is turning on the White House for their foolishness...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »
Emanuel said the cable network is "not a news organization so much as it has a perspective." Axelrod claimed that the channel's programming is "really not news, it's pushing a point of view."

Straight news reporting of what/where/when/who/how/why died a LONG time ago.  Someone should send a box of these to the White House:

Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:05:54 PM »
Straight news reporting of what/where/when/who/how/why died a LONG time ago

I don't think it ever really lived.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »
Wow, that's a bit of a surprise.  I would have expected all the old media to turn on Fox, not stand up for them.

And wow, what a dangerous game Barry O is playing here.  If he end up alienating the mainstream media, he's humped.  He absolutely cannot afford to have a critical media, or even an objective media, looking into his administration.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:33:37 AM »
I haven't moved past thinking of the feeding frenzy on W., had he tried to "suppress dissent" by saying that MSNBC was not a real news network.  Which is of course true. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 03:42:03 AM »
Wow, that's a bit of a surprise.  I would have expected all the old media to turn on Fox, not stand up for them.

They're starting to catch on that the internet never forgets: if they come out against Fox, then the second a conservative gets in office, their own words will come back to haunt them via Youtube.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 08:36:04 AM »
They're starting to catch on that the internet never forgets: if they come out against Fox, then the second a conservative gets in office, their own words will come back to haunt them via Youtube.
Exactly - if they legitimize attacks by their guy on Fox, then they legitimize future attacks on themselves when a conservative is eventually elected.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain