Author Topic: President Obama's decision to share oversight of next year's Census  (Read 9108 times)

Desertdog

• friends
He's trying to take the census out of the Commerce Department, that has a Republican head, and will keep the Pres. Obama in the loop.  I wonder how this will effect the numbers.

Political Battle Brews Over 2010 Census
President Obama's decision to share oversight of next year's Census has sparked protest from GOP lawmakers.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/07/political-battle-brews-census/

A political battle has erupted over next year's census with Republican lawmakers protesting President Obama's decision to take a bigger role in supervising the process.

The Census Bureau director, who reports to the commerce secretary, now also will keep the White House directly in the loop.

The White House says it is following a historical precedent and that this simply shows that the census is a priority for the president. But Republicans say it looks like a political power grab.

"The United States census should remain independent of politics," House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said. "It should not be directed by political operatives working out of the White House."

"I'm very concerned," Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., told FOX News. "The Census Bureau has worked for decades to get rid of the cronyism and the partisan politics that had permeated that agency.

"And they have done it by bringing professionalism to the agency and making certain that individuals that came there went through a very thorough process. Anytime there is an administration that will tamper with that, this is a concern to anyone."

Blackburn, a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, says the committee will hold hearings to investigate the change.

The census count is supposed to be a non-partisan process. But it also helps to determine how congressional lines are drawn. And it shows the demographic changes of the nation of the past 10 years, which could shift billions of dollars in federal funding for things like schools and roads and job training.

Some Republicans suspect this could be a move by the White House to gerrymander those political boundaries so they benefit Democratic candidates.

The move comes after some advocates worried that Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., Obama's nominee for commerce secretary, wouldn't push hard for a count of Hispanics and other minorities in the census.

Boehner said the White House oversight "appears to be motivated by politics" because Gregg has been picked by Obama to take over the Commerce Department.

But Obama officials insist they're simply returning to the model used under President Clinton.

"I think the historical precedent of this is there's a director of the census that works for the secretary of commerce, the president and also works closely with the White House to ensure a timely and accurate count," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

The Clinton and Bush administrations had different ways of dealing with the census. The Clinton administration placed a panel of experts at the Census Bureau in charge of adjusting data for people the census missed or double-counted. Clinton officials said it would insulate the decision from political pressure.

The Bush administration changed those regulations before that panel ruled on the 2000 results, leaving it up to the commerce secretary to oversee the bureau's work.

FOX News' Caroline Shively contributed to this report.

john828

Re: President Obama's decision to share oversight of next year's Census
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 08:39:30 PM »
Politics 101, Chicago style.  Write, call, e-mail!
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

lone_gunman

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:49:40 PM »
The move comes after some advocates worried that Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., Obama's nominee for commerce secretary, wouldn't push hard for a count of Hispanics and other minorities in the census.

It sounds like oversight of Sen. Gregg might be needed if he is not willing to accurately count Hipsanics and minorities.  In fact he needs to be fired.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »
As it is now, census takers have full background checks are are vetted by the FBI.

Want to bet that'll change to be "more inclusive of disadvantaged youth"?

Want to be there will be some "magazine subscription" home invasions when people open their door for the taker?

Want to bet people will stop opening the door for the census?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »
Wouldn't it already be possible for a person to illegally claim to be a census taker to rob people?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:00:50 PM »
Wouldn't it already be possible for a person to illegally claim to be a census taker to rob people?

Yes. But I believe impersonating a federal official results in incredibly harsh penalties.
Plus you can call the office and make sure they were supposed to be at your house.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »
Yes. But I believe impersonating a federal official results in incredibly harsh penalties.

So does armed robbery.

Plus you can call the office and make sure they were supposed to be at your house.

And the call WILL be logged and used as evidence against them.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:32:50 PM »
Politics 101, Chicago style. 

Now, the dead will truly have a voice.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »
I wonder how this will effect the numbers.

Think Chicago politics. Toss in an order of magnitude. Stir. Bake. Serve to the workers and peasants.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »
We can't have all those dead peacefully resting voters taken off the rosters by those evil Republicans, can we?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

john828

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 02:08:32 AM »
"I'm telling you, we have not seen an increase in voter registration since...well, since I don't know when, but dadgummint, we got ourselves an outright surge of registrees"

How does one apply for an election judge position?  Sometimes I think conservatives (overall) have a MYOB attitude which is good, but maybe we need to get a little more politically active in some ways.
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 10:15:51 AM »
How does one apply for an election judge position?  Sometimes I think conservatives (overall) have a MYOB attitude which is good, but maybe we need to get a little more politically active in some ways.

But I have a job! I can't go and protest or do stuff! It will make me look like a dirty hippie!

john828

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:47:58 AM »
Understood, but loitering on stoops and corners can be a full time job as well.  Seriously, what are the chances that the majority of election officials are bent to the left?
~z

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »
Understood, but loitering on stoops and corners can be a full time job as well.  Seriously, what are the chances that the majority of election officials are bent to the left?

What are the chances that a majority of voters are bent to the left?

john828

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 11:42:53 AM »
Are you referring to the living or the dead?
~z

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 11:50:54 AM »
Are you referring to the living or the dead?

I'm referring to the fact that the majority of Americans have voted for a leftist candidate this past election.

Even among the people who voted against Obama, many have supported leftist candidates in the Republican primaries - like, in fact, John McCain or Mitt Romney.

That is the big problem, not the fact that the Democrats throw in a bad ballot here or the Republicans exclude a voter there.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »
Sounds like O-Man is a micro-manager.  Hopefully, he'll be too busy to actually do anything.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 03:10:57 PM »
We can't have all those dead peacefully resting voters taken off the rosters by those evil Republicans, can we?
Course not. After all, they are only resting until the Second Coming, right?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 05:08:03 PM »
I have visions of ACORN cadre taking the census.  Whaddya think are the chances of an accurate count? 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 05:46:03 PM »
How does one apply for an election judge position? 

Contact your county clerk or local election commission.   I done it twice so far.....

Be prepared though.....

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=10882.0

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 03:33:07 PM »
But I have a job! I can't go and protest or do stuff! It will make me look like a dirty hippie!

Given the epic fail that pretty much all protests are, losing my job (and ability to support my family aside from taking .gov aid) to participate in them would be incredibly foolish.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
Given the epic fail that pretty much all protests are, losing my job (and ability to support my family aside from taking .gov aid) to participate in them would be incredibly foolish.

Why would you lose your job?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »
Why would you lose your job?

They have this odd thing where they like me to, you know, actually be at work. Constantly taking time off to go protest would kinda go against that.

Now, I suppose I could merely burn all my vacation days, and spends thousands of dollars flying all over the place so I could engage in the mass circle jerk delusion that standing around holding signs and yelling does something other than annoy people; but I'd rather spend my limited time, money, and effort doing things that actually work.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
I will immediately inform the public that the anti-draft protests during Vietnam did nothing to cut down support of the war. And that the Civil Rights marches didn't work. Boy, was MLK stupid for starting them.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 06:43:32 PM »
More likely it'll get you fired for absenteeism.