Author Topic: Obama bows before Saudi King?  (Read 9075 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Obama bows before Saudi King?
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »
http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/Obama_bow_king/2009/04/08/201193.html?s=al&promo_code=7DA5-1

Yes, it's newsmax.  But they have video.

My first gut reaction was "WTF?"  Royal peers do not bow to one another, heads of state do not bow to one another.  He subordinated the US to Saudi Arabia, in my opinion.

Only parallel I can come up with is Kennedy kissing the Pope's ring.  That was a situation of personal allegiance clashing with the responsibilities of being head of state.  However.... Kennedy was Catholic.  And he was careful to draw a distinction between personal and public duty when he did it.

Considering that Obama didn't bow to the Queen while in England (and therefor this is not SOP to him), does this then mean he has a personal allegiance to the Saudi King?

As usual... the rest of the press is silent on this.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Obama bows before Saudi King?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:10:39 PM »
I tried this particular subject & it got nuked by mgt.

Good luck, and pass the lead skivvies.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:50:32 PM »
Obama has no class.  I wouldn't read too much into the bow.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:30:03 AM »
I wouldn't read too much into the bow.

Bowing has a meaning and purpose. 

Fortunately, our President was unaware of the message he was sending. 

Unfortunately, our President was unaware of the message he was sending, meaning that he is indeed the lightweight chump many of us have always thought he was. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:15:02 AM »
I was thinking, though....

Do American Diplomats (including the Prez) bow when visiting Japanese persons of interest?

I would opine that bowing in Japan, at least in modern post-SCAP context, is an act done respecting the status of both individuals and replaces the handshake in Western ceremony.  Conversely, bowing in a feudal or monarchical context is an act of subservience as it is not reciprocated.

I notice that there is a japanese (? I can usually tell Chinese/Japanese/Korean/etc... but this guy is hard to make)  man to the left of Obama in jfruser's picture.

Perhaps he greeted the Saudi king prior to Obama, and Obama mimicked the Japanese (?) man?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 02:26:33 AM »
Perhaps he greeted the Saudi king prior to Obama, and Obama mimicked the Japanese (?) man?

I don't think so.  I saw a video of the incident, and it appeared everyone up until Obama was shaking hands.  Then again, the saudi guy wasn't in frame the entire time, so it's hard to say.

Edit:  the video I saw was the same one as the one in the link, but it was much longer.  Just to clarify. Here's the link to a page that has the longer version: http://www.salon.com/opinion/paglia/2009/04/08/bow/index.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:38:37 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 05:57:45 AM »
Technically, he didn't bow.  A bow is performed by bending at the waist.  He bent his knees.

So in reality, he “curtsied”.  :angel:

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 06:33:45 AM »
This isn't any king.  This is the Protector of Medina and Mecca.

Cannot fault Obama.  We all have things we learned as a child that we cannot escape.  Barry learned his lessons at the madrassa.  How do you think any talib would act?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 07:19:53 AM »
The White House's excuse is pathetic. ;/ =D

Obama is taller than the Protector of Medina and Mecca?

Really now?  Why are their hands on the same level on the Spanish television video (shot from the side).

*snicker*
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 08:20:46 AM »
The White House is saying that Obama didn't bow, he just bent over because the king was shorter.

Who are you going to believe, the White House or your own lying eyes?  ;/

(Note that the queen of England is shorter than the Saudi King, and Obama didn't bend over for her.)

Here's a thought: if the White House lies over somthing like this, how can we believe ANYTHING they say?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 08:22:37 AM »
funny how the video looks like a bow, but the picture above has everyone is looking as though there is something else happening.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »
The white house probably lies about things just instinctively by now. When Obama screws up they need to lie to cover their butts, and when he doesn't they probably lie just in case. The only thing I recall Obama telling the truth about is wanting to "spread the wealth around".
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 10:18:34 AM »
At what point does theater of the absurd just become plain old-fashioned mendacity?

Smart kids always think they can con their way through anything.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 11:23:55 AM »
At what point does theater of the absurd just become plain old-fashioned mendacity?

He conned his way through the whole campaign, why not now?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »
I don't give it any great significance. This is simply more ESB or, O's "Empty Suit Behavior". All style, no substance. The fact he did not bow to the Queen of England, and did to the Saudi King, etc. has no greater significance, other than that he's incapable of thinking of his moment-to-moment actions in a greater context. Pure seat-of-the-pants-isim.

The larger pattern.

- "Clinging to Guns and Religion", "Special Olympics" and other gaffes...

- No good without a teleprompter.

- The whole wounded vet benifit fiasco.

- "Off reservation" comments by his cabinet and staff. (i.e. AWB? Yes/No, Yes/No, Yes/No, Yes/No....)

-  No input on the spendulous bill.

etc. etc. etc...

That's exactly what this is. He's "smart" and "charming", and a great speach-reader. He thinks he can wing anything, and his head is not in the game. Perhaps it's unbecoming to even wonder, but I have to consider if his childhood upbringing by white grandparents as a well-spoken token black in many situations has conditioned him to just "coasting".

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:21:08 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 01:18:56 PM »
>Perhaps it's unbecoming to even wonder, but I have to consider if his childhood upbringing by white grandparents as a well-spoken token black in many situations has conditioned him to just "coasting".<

Hater :P
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »
I don't give it any great significance. This is simply more ESB or, O's "Empty Suit Behavior". All style, no substance. The fact he did not bow to the Queen of England, and did to the Saudi King, etc. has no greater significance, other than that he's incapable of thinking of his moment-to-moment actions in a greater context. Pure seat-of-the-pants-isim.

I agree. 

However, though Obama meant nothing by it, and it doesn't mean we'll start paying our taxes to the House of Saud, it is yet significant that a President of the U.S. has bowed to Saudi royalty.  Even if he did it because he thinks everything is a campaign event, and he's there to glad-hand for votes. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »
Considering how the Royal Saudi's treat people of other races, women and thrive upon their tyrannical rule,
IMHO the president of the United States should strive to always maintain status as an equal with their aristocracy.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 08:52:28 AM »
Considering how the Royal Saudi's treat people of other races, women and thrive upon their tyrannical rule,
IMHO the president of the United States should strive to always maintain status as an equal with their aristocracy.

There is no "striving" to it.  The President represents us so he must be (at a minimum) an equal, not merely try for it.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 08:55:15 AM »
I'm sorry, but in that photo it looks to me like he's doing a line.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 09:25:38 AM »
Seems to me the white house saying "it wasn't a bow" is exactly the same as the liberals who claim "but the Queen ASKED for an Ipod." (http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=18855.msg352549#msg352549)

They are willfully blind.

I swear- Obama could be caught with a smoking gun on live television and they'd believe: "It wasn't me".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 09:55:03 AM »
I'm sorry, but in that photo it looks to me like he's doing a line.

Surely the entirety of your post, which you forgot to write, went something like...
"I'm sorry, but in that photo it looks to me like he's doing a line...from the Gilbert & Sullivan comic opera The Mikado, a favorite of the crown prince"

As it is, it seems you are implying that our Dear Leader is snorting coke off the upraised buttock of a Saudi house slave* boy.

* Officially, Saudi Arabia outlawed slavery in 1962, so any reports of continued slavery in the kingdom are most certainly scurrilous rumors from islamophobes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brasshammer

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 01:09:16 PM »
They are willfully blind.

I swear- Obama could be caught with a smoking gun on live television and they'd believe: "It wasn't me".

"I swear, I did not have sex with that king woman."

ronnyreagan

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 02:18:46 PM »
Seems to me the white house saying "it wasn't a bow" is exactly the same as the liberals who claim "but the Queen ASKED for an Ipod."

Not really. There's video of the bow so you have some actual proof to back up your argument that it happened. Pretty convincing proof I'd say and trying to claim it didn't happen is a stupid thing for the white house to do.

If you have proof, or anything other than your gut feeling saying that the queen didn't ask for an iPod I'd love to see it. If you come up with anything - feel free to post it in the other thread. =)
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 03:11:24 PM »
The debate is over.

Geraldo said Obama DID bow.

But not to worry: just a deeply-embedded "cultural reflex" that will end up paying benefits.  Yeah, take that to the bank.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.