Author Topic: sleeping pads  (Read 2999 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
sleeping pads
« on: April 02, 2007, 05:29:35 AM »
I'm getting a new sleeping pad and I am torn between two pads.

One is the Thermarest Ridge Rest Deluxe 25" wide model

http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=55&cID=3

the other is Cabela's XPG pad, 25" wide

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037783&type=pod&cmCat=cat601644_feat

I am only going to use the pad for three season camping and used 50/50 between car camping and backpacking.

I currently have a Cabela's Alaskan pad but it is too bulky and at 4.5 lbs a tad heavy for backpacking.

Any suggestions?

-Charby

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: sleeping pads
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:49:56 AM »
I have two pads, one is the old style full length Thermarest pad (one of the originals) and a shorter (25"x48ish) Cabelas pad of the same design (air/foam).  I use the full length pad for car camping and the shorter pad for backpacking or warm weather camping.

For strictly backpacking, I'd get the shorter pad if it's lighter/smaller than the Thermasest Ridge Rest.

Chris

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:52:26 AM »
I've own a couple Thermarest pads and they were good quality.
Have you thought about a Thermarest self inflating pad? I used one of those in the late 80's and it was great! Much more comfortable than the closed cell foam pads and it was really light.

As for which of those two would be better, I could only give you a WAG.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:06:43 AM »
I have two pads, one is the old style full length Thermarest pad (one of the originals) and a shorter (25"x48ish) Cabelas pad of the same design (air/foam).  I use the full length pad for car camping and the shorter pad for backpacking or warm weather camping.

For strictly backpacking, I'd get the shorter pad if it's lighter/smaller than the Thermasest Ridge Rest.

Chris

I have tried the short pads and just can't do it, I feel like I am sleeping on a ledge. I also spent a week on a thin military pad back when I was a teenager and didn't care for it then either. Up until a couple years ago I did just fine sleeping directly on the ground but know I can't go without a pad, I get cold or wake up with pressure pain from uneven ground and those rocks you can't find when picking a tent site but you do about 2am.

I thought about a thermarest branded pad but I think now you pay for a name tag on it. I like Cabela's xpg because it folds in half and I should be able to stick it in my pack. I like the ridgerest because there is no cover to tear and have to worry about not being able to inflate it. I'm hesitant to buy the closed cell on because of my experiences with the military pad.
-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 08:19:41 AM »
I thought about a thermarest branded pad but I think now you pay for a name tag on it.

Check out the Campmor website. They often have "factory second" sales on Thermarest that are 30-50% off the regular price. I bought both my Thermarest pads as factory seconds from them and never did find whatever the defect/blemish was.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 08:45:08 AM »
I thought about a thermarest branded pad but I think now you pay for a name tag on it.

Check out the Campmor website. They often have "factory second" sales on Thermarest that are 30-50% off the regular price. I bought both my Thermarest pads as factory seconds from them and never did find whatever the defect/blemish was.

Problem is that I want a 25" wide one, I have wide shoulders and I need a wider pad. I check campmor a lot and buy a lot there too if I can't find it on ebay.

-charby

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 10:21:41 AM »
Huh, one of my pads is the "fatboy" extra wide model. I bought it a few years ago though, so they may not have them now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 10:25:50 AM »
Most pads are 20" wide but there are lot of choices 25" and wider.

I don't even want to get started how much of a bitch it is to find a comfortable sleeping bag that weighs less than 4 lbs.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 01:47:46 PM »
My old 3/4 length Thermarest lines the inside of my bag when I'm backpacking. That way I don't have to strap it on the outside and it keeps stuff padded inside. When I used an external frame pack my pad went either under the lid or wrapped around my sleeping bag. I never have had a self-inflating pad.

Ron

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 09:39:09 PM »
I don't have first hand experience with either.

If it were me I would go with the Thermorest. You are buying what they specialize in.

The Cabalas may or may not work for you, the Thermorest is almost a lock it will.

I use a lightweight REI long, I'm not sure what the width is though.

If you are putting miles on your body with a pack you owe yourself a good sleep at the end of the day.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 03:27:34 AM »
I've been happy with my Cabela's sleeping pad. Mine is a 20"x72" and at 1 1/2" thick inflated it's more than enough even in temps down in the teens and probably colder. Any back packing I do these days is usually a short distance since the majority of my outings involve getting there with a boat or off-road vehicle. Weight isn't really a major concern for me.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 11:17:11 AM »
I bought the therm-a-rest ridge rest. I sleep on it two nights on a hardwood floor, I didn't find it to be that comfortable, sucked to be honest.

I used in conjunction with a Cabelas self inflating pad that I had for two nights on the ground in a tent, it was fine. My wife showed up the last night of my three day fishing trip and I gave her my self inflating pad and slept on the ridge-rest. I was so tired that night I could have slept on concrete, so I couldn't tell you if it was good or not.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 11:40:13 AM »
In hind site if you were going to use it for more car camping than BPing I should have considered comfort as being more important than weight.

I was so tired that night I could have slept on concrete, so I couldn't tell you if it was good or not.
Just like after a day of humping a pack through the wilderness.

The Ridgerest is half a pound lighter and as a BPer those half pounds add up.

Where did you buy the Thermorest?

If you cannot return it I hang out on another forum where you could probably sell it at not a great loss.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 11:50:51 AM »
I bought it from Pro Bass Shops for $30 but my loving wife tossed out the packaging right before I used it. It works really well with an additional pad so I'm going to keep it for that.

I wished I sprung the extra $10 for the deluxe model.

I bought the pad for a BWCA trip in August. I wanted something that was light and if it tore I didn't have to worry about patching a hole. I'm going to try it a few more times before my trip before I decide it its going on the trip.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

red450

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 09:50:36 AM »
I have a Z-rest and a Therma-Rest, both are great.  The Z-rest is much lighter and easier to pack because it's folded shape actually helps your pack condense (when you use compression straps).

(used to sell camping gear)

gaston_45

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 06:24:58 PM »
Have you tried blowing in a little extra air after it has inflated itself?  I have one of the knockoffs and it isn't that comfortable until I add a little extra air, then it's great.

Ron

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 06:47:47 AM »
Have you tried blowing in a little extra air after it has inflated itself?  I have one of the knockoffs and it isn't that comfortable until I add a little extra air, then it's great.
His is a foam pad I believe and not inflatable. A lot of bpers like them because they are so light. Apparently charby is like me and would rather carry extra weight and get a good night of sleep. Light and ultra light are the rage right now in backpacking gear.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 07:09:00 AM »
His is a foam pad I believe and not inflatable. A lot of bpers like them because they are so light. Apparently charby is like me and would rather carry extra weight and get a good night of sleep. Light and ultra light are the rage right now in backpacking gear.

The latest I bought is a closed cell foam pad. Thermarest Ridge Rest.

Yep I'm looking into shaving weight elsewhere, I have a 9lb tent (Kelty Mantra 3) so I'm going to start there. Its a great tent and not bad if you split it between two people but I don't want to share a tent with anyone except my wife, especially after a few days without a shower.

I've been thinking about the SD Flashlight Clip.

My goal is to have my pack weigh no more than 30# when I go to BWCA in August.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 08:38:31 AM »
I bought one from Walmart for a recent trip to PA.  It sucks.  I'll keep it as a backup, but it sucks.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 06:50:05 AM »
I just ordered a Thermarest trail light (large 25" wide x 77" long) the other day from Campmor on sale for $53. It is 1.5" thick and weighs 2# 11oz.  a full two # less than my Cabela's brand pad of the same size. It will get its test car camping in the Ozarks soon.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.