Author Topic: Go Green & turn off the A/C...  (Read 5176 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Go Green & turn off the A/C...
« on: May 31, 2007, 01:31:35 PM »
in the SERVER ROOM!!  shocked

=============

I check my work email from home before I make my morning commute, so I can see what sort of maelstrom I'm about to walk into...

If you can guess by the subject of the post, this one is a doozy.

From: $user who for whatever reason came in on Monday when no one else was in the building.
To: IT Dept.
Re: A/C constantly running.

Hi Guys,

I came in today (Monday) to finish up a project I was working on before our big meeting with a potential client tomorrow, and I noticed that there were three or four large air conditioners running the entire time I was here. Since it's a three day weekend, no one is around, why do we need to have the A/C running 24/7? With all the power that all those big computers in that room use, I doubt it is really eco-friendly to run those big units at the same time. And all computers have cooling fans anyway, so why put the A/C for the building in that room? I got a keycard from $facilitiesmanager's desk and shut off the A/C units. I'm sure you guys can deal with it being warm for an hour or two when you come in tomorrow morning. In the future, let's try to be a little more conscientious of our energy usage. Thanks.

RESULT:

Fatalities: Exchange Server, Domain Controllers, a few Sun boxes that I'm not sure of the usage.
Near-Fatalities: Phone Switch, Apps Servers.

Temperature of server room 7AM Tuesday Morning: 90 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Status of Employee who sent the above e-mail: Terminated.

==========================

Source: http://community.livejournal.com/techsupport/1368038.html?page=1#comments

No, not me.  We don't have an A/C in our server room.  Just some fans to move the air around.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Go Green & turn off the A/C...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 01:38:40 PM »
I know some folks that would do it.  Twice.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

onions!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 01:43:08 PM »
 rolleyes .'course my boss thinks that turning it down to 79 is a stretch... angry

The server room is where I eat lunch.
frickin noisy though.
He he,looks like a control room on the Death Star.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:55:25 PM »
Let's see. 

Concern for the environment.
Getting all preachy about it.
Good intentions.
Really bad results.

Probability of terminal leftism:  94.5%
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

PPGMD

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:03:51 PM »
What an idiot, we kept our DCs at 60-65F.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 03:23:02 PM »
Sounds like an educated idiot that had too much PC education.

I see a few things that management could have done to prevent the shutting off of the A/C units.

A large sign on next to switch, saying "Do Not Turn Off" or locking the switches in the "ON" poition.  Have an item in the employee's handbook that the A/C must stay on and why.

In the energy crisis of the 70's we had a building that recovered the heat from the lights, that amounted to about 30% of the heating load.  People would drice by at night and see the building all lit up but the place would never be able to get warm if they turned them off.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 05:29:49 AM »
Some people just don't understand. 

I was reading the posting and this avatar just cracked me up, I am not a trekkie at all, but it was just so damn funny.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 05:46:36 AM »
We lost a DS1 line card in an OC3 node due to heat. Fortunately, no other cards went bad. Not sure why, but the telecom room we were using at the CO was always way too warm. I did improvise a "fix" for the OC3 node by making a plate with fans and adapting it to the node. It worked quite well.

Some people don't understand the heat generated by several computers/ electronic devices running in a confined space. At my old house, my office, with four, sometimes five computers always running, was always the warmest spot in the house, despite the AC being at 68-70 (thanks to my wife, who thinks the house should feel like a fridge)
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 07:22:58 AM »
I am not a trekkie at all

I liked that one as well, but I guess I'm not a trekkie either since I can only name one episode those shots are taken from. 
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 07:33:58 AM »
I am not a trekkie at all

I liked that one as well, but I guess I'm not a trekkie either since I can only name one episode those shots are taken from. 

I couldn't even tell you who they are besides Capt Kirk and Spock

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 11:24:01 AM »
McCoy....Dammit Jim I'm a Doctor not a....
One day at a time.

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »
I think there is a Trekkie that posts on this board sometimes, I just haven't seen him lately.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 01:43:42 PM »
I think there is a Trekkie that posts on this board sometimes, I just haven't seen him lately.
When you figure out who he is, let us know.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 01:58:45 PM »
Were I a trekkie, I wouldn't admit it here.  Too many crazed, anarchist Firefly fans. 

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 03:19:11 PM »
::dons fire retardant flame suit::

I never liked Firefly or Serenity........
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

USMILNET

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 10:28:54 PM »
When I was in college, back around 1980, we had a trekkie who lived in our dorm.

He wore his trekkie uniform occasionally. To class, etc.

He had several friends, who were also trekkies. They would also occasionally dress up. One of them wore fake ears. He had a girlfriend (!), and she'd wear the stuff.

One day, he got in an argument with a prof. He pulled his toy phaser, and attempted to disintegrate the prof. They took him away.

Blog under construction

Vile Nylons

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 03:07:49 AM »
Nowadays they'd called out a Homeland Security and chalk up another illegal alien terrorist arrest.  grin

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 04:14:27 AM »
When you figure out who he is, let us know.

AJ Dual.
Andy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 04:15:03 AM »
::dons fire retardant flame suit::

I never liked Firefly or Serenity........

You are dead to me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 05:00:52 AM »
You are dead to me.

What do you expect from guy who's avatar is a sex-less Grey clone (and a dead one at that) that masqueraded as a Nordic deity?  grin

Of course, truth be told, I could never get into Firefly either.  Tried, but just did not click.

One day, he got in an argument with a prof. He pulled his toy phaser, and attempted to disintegrate the prof. They took him away.

Did he make that warbling whistle sound effect when he tried to use the phaser on the Prof?

Man, talk about thread drift....

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 05:12:54 AM »
He wore his trekkie uniform occasionally. To class, etc.

He had several friends, who were also trekkies. They would also occasionally dress up. One of them wore fake ears. He had a girlfriend (!), and she'd wear the stuff.

The only thing suprising to me about your story is:
"He had a girlfriend (!), "

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »
You are dead to me.

What do you expect from guy who's avatar is a sex-less Grey clone (and a dead one at that) that masqueraded as a Nordic deity?  grin

Of course, truth be told, I could never get into Firefly either.  Tried, but just did not click.

I DID try to get into Firefly, myself. Never happened. Just seemed like a cheesey western, with a weak plot.

Farscape took me a few episodes to get into, but I finally did. I even came to like Scorpy. SG1 was a hit with me, right off.

USMILNET

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 08:20:37 AM »
Loved Firefly, loved SG1, never seen Farscape.

despite the AC being at 68-70 (thanks to my wife, who thinks the house should feel like a fridge)

Wuss. grin When I first got married we never turned our thermostat over 65, and I seem to recall cranking it down to 55 a few times. Nothing like living in Arizona in the summer and needing a sweater in the house. Mmm....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 08:31:20 AM »
Loved Firefly, loved SG1, never seen Farscape.

Pity that.  The visuals on Farscape are lovely.  grin

Nothing like living in Arizona in the summer and needing a sweater in the house. Mmm....

I shudder to think of your electrical bills.  shocked

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 10:30:38 AM »
I've never seen Farscape, either.  Thanks to that picture, I never will.