Author Topic: Rabies Question  (Read 946 times)

slzy

• friend
Rabies Question
« on: June 01, 2007, 06:52:10 PM »
would a feral cat eating a dead or dying rabid bat be likely to be infected?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Rabies Question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 07:26:21 PM »
Its been awhile since my Virology class, but I think there may be a risk of infection.  The virus particles in an infected animal may be found in the saliva, blood and nerves.  I don't know if the virus can cross an intact mucus membrane such as that found in the mouth and GI tract.  Wikipedia does list transplants and even kisses as a means of transmission in humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:33:03 PM »
Very possibly yes.

The cat would have to have an open wound or sore on it that came into contact with infected fluid, but with a feral cat that's not out of the question.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

slzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:47:14 PM »
i found a bat in the basement,my son picked him up in a towel and put him in a bush. then,i read how a rabid bat [or anything else] might act. fit the profile. i'll call animal control in the morning.

Vile Nylons

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:47:11 AM »
If my memory serves me from my public health days, the interface between teeth and gums is considered and has shown to be a potential portal of entry. I'm not remembering about whether stomach acid neutralizes rabies, but abrasions, lesions etc within the alimentary canal cannot be excluded as possibilities as well. The cat will have to be quarantined. Public health might want to examine the brain tissue of the bat. It was not good to use a towel because it is absorbant. It should be properly disposed as in incinerated. Public Health or Animal Control might do that for you. Wear gloves. If any tools were used like a shovel or something, they should be sanitized using a strong bleach solution. Your son might have to undergo shots as a precaution. This can be avoided if the bat can be found and tested to be negative. Although the bat might be damaged or ill with something else, since bats are known carriers, you have to play worst case scenario to protect your son. A less remote possibility is secondary contact by family members with your cat who might be infected. Be careful, best wishes.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 01:57:17 PM »
a feral cat

It is a feral cat. Just shoot the cat and have it tested. Don't use a headshot, though.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 02:07:39 PM »
Use real bleach to sanitize also.  Not the color safe stuff sold these days to wash whites.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 07:31:42 AM »
9 parts water to one part chlorine bleach.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum