Author Topic: Cicada 3301  (Read 1214 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Cicada 3301
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/10468112/The-internet-mystery-that-has-the-world-baffled.html

With this being a multi-year event and still unannounced intent, and limited appeal to the vast majority of the world, I think it's safe to say it is not a viral marketing campaign. 

That leaves either government recruitment, or non-governmental organization recruitment.

Originating on 4chan, I doubt it's US/NATO government recruitment.  If governmental, it would be an anti-western government looking to capitalize on misplaced antiguv sentiment among hackers.  My money is on Anonymous, looking for some good cryptogeeks, wanting to build something even more secure than TOR.

Rev, anyone else, familiar with this event/group?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Cicada 3301
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »
My bet is on a self-aware artificial intelligence.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Cicada 3301
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
Rev, anyone else, familiar with this event/group?

Yes, no.

I'm familiar with private networks of like minded individuals. While rarely the size or scope of most conspiracy theories, they're relatively common. Not quite secret societies, most of them don't have names or labels. I'm familiar with a number of non-government organizations of that nature. Think the smaller decentralized version of "ring knockers", "Mormon connection", frats, etc.

I've never seen any of them run by self-aware artificial intelligences, but I nearly put a round through a predictive index AI that was getting lippy when it came to psychological evaluations. I suspect it was just well programmed to piss off the interviewee rather than truly insightful analysis.

I've seen similar tests. I have no idea whether this was a clever group, or just a cryptic one. Cryptic ones tend to be a bunch of self-authenticating cypher puzzles. You figure out the puzzles, you follow the path, first X get contacted and then the whole thing is shut down. Meh, nothing to worry about. Yes, you'll scoop up some clever folks. The clever ones are a bit more interesting. This may have been one of those. I'd be more curious to watch the puzzle seekers inbound packet filters than the puzzles.

The more clever approach is to toss a bunch of puzzles out there, then watch the contestants in a manner that they don't even realize. Possibly interacting with the puzzle seekers. Looking at the process more than the end result.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.