Author Topic: Negotiating peace with terrorists...  (Read 7643 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Negotiating peace with terrorists...
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 08:54:35 AM »
Micro, the fundamental problem here is that the ANA and the US allies in Afghanistan are not fighting for freedom - they are fighting for a kleptocracy that by some accounts is actually more oppressive and dangerous to live under than the Taliban (it is without a doubt more capricious - Karzai's government doesn't appear to have any control over its own.)

The high levels of support for the Taliban as an alternative make sense.  Why would anyone help a foreign government install a bunch of thieves and rapists (that's one of the most common complaints about Afghan officials)?

The Taliban's military and organisational skill has made it an acceptable alternative, and one that's eventually going to retake the country barring some miracle.  Lots of bombing (already happening), again, has resulted in a Taliban that is stronger.

Mullah Omar may be a bad dude - but he's a better option in the eyes of the Afghans (and the "progress" over the last ten years proves it) than what we're offering. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »
Micro, the fundamental problem here is that the ANA and the US allies in Afghanistan are not fighting for freedom - they are fighting for a kleptocracy that by some accounts is actually more oppressive and dangerous to live under than the Taliban (it is without a doubt more capricious - Karzai's government doesn't appear to have any control over its own.)

The high levels of support for the Taliban as an alternative make sense.  Why would anyone help a foreign government install a bunch of thieves and rapists (that's one of the most common complaints about Afghan officials)?

The Taliban's military and organisational skill has made it an acceptable alternative, and one that's eventually going to retake the country barring some miracle.  Lots of bombing (already happening), again, has resulted in a Taliban that is stronger.

Mullah Omar may be a bad dude - but he's a better option in the eyes of the Afghans (and the "progress" over the last ten years proves it) than what we're offering. 

That's what we said LAST time. It proved to be false.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »
RIP Ilyas Kashmiri

Did that guy have anything to do with Taliban operations in Afghanistan?

Fitz, i agree that Omar is a bad dude - the problem is that our dude is worse.  Karzai will not last, and the Taliban are the only alternative.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
Did that guy have anything to do with Taliban operations in Afghanistan?

To the extent that Al-Quaeda has anything to do with them.

But happily there's been other updates since I've last posted:

RIP Mullah Gul Akhund
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner