Author Topic: White House Salaries  (Read 1902 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
White House Salaries
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:34:04 AM »
The total salary outlay at the White House is nearly $40 million. That's about 75% higher than I would have guessed if you would have asked me to guess. I also had no idea that many people worked there (469).

http://www.whitehouse.gov/21stcenturygov/tools/salaries#ethics-menu
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: White House Salaries
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:25:59 AM »
Amazing. IIRC, Washington's total proposed federal budget for his first year in office was about $300,000. Obama's is, what, $1.4 trillion? I realize there's been inflation, but should government today be 4.6 million times as costly?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »
Amazing. IIRC, Washington's total proposed federal budget for his first year in office was about $300,000. Obama's is, what, $1.4 trillion? I realize there's been inflation, but should government today be 4.6 million times as costly?
Obama's deficit is in the neighborhood of $1.4 trillion . . . his total spending for FY2010 was about $3,456,000,000,000.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:20:33 AM »
The total salary outlay at the White House is nearly $40 million. That's about 75% higher than I would have guessed if you would have asked me to guess. I also had no idea that many people worked there (469).

http://www.whitehouse.gov/21stcenturygov/tools/salaries#ethics-menu

Dividing the total (of 38.8 million) by the number of people employed, that's just over $82,700 per man per year - not too bad, especially considering the grade of people that no doubt work at the White House.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »
Dividing the total (of 38.8 million) by the number of people employed, that's just over $82,700 per man per year - not too bad, especially considering the grade of people that no doubt work at the White House.

$82,700 is about average for this area.  A single person could live reasonably well, but a family would be stretched tight at times if they lived IN DC (that's assuming a <$200k mortgage, one average car payment, and low CC bills). 

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »

Like Chris said, $82,000 is chump change in the DC area, especially to live in DC.

That is certainly not an average, I'm sure.  Your senior staffers and aides probably make six figures, while the junior staffers probably make in the thirties and forties.  Tough to live in DC even as a single on that cash.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:16:31 AM »
Like Chris said, $82,000 is chump change in the DC area, especially to live in DC.

That is certainly not an average, I'm sure.  Your senior staffers and aides probably make six figures, while the junior staffers probably make in the thirties and forties.  Tough to live in DC even as a single on that cash.

Yeah, looking down the list you can see there appear to be a bunch of SES and GS13+ level employees, and a bunch of GS7-9-ish level employees. Not a whole lot in the middle. Also, I don't believe they're projecting an accurate record. I notice Obama and Biden aren't listed, and if there's $40mil in FTE salaries, I'm betting there's another $40mil in contractors.

Anyway, I would have never guessed the White House housed over 400 employees. I would have guessed less than half that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."