Author Topic: Tron 2.0 finally a go.  (Read 5556 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Tron 2.0 finally a go.
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:58:48 PM »
Looks like it's actually going to happen.  Tron 2.0 is officially supposed to start filming this spring.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104001/

I remember when Tron came out, thinking "This has to be the coolest thing EVER!".  Cindy Morgan in spandex wasn't bad, either.  =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Tron 2.0 finally a go.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:15:49 PM »
You did see the TR2N tease bit they showed, right?

It was pretty impressive. The lightcycles looked amazing, and Jeff Bridges reprising his role as Flynn (!), 25 years later, looking like an evil, Zen-Corporate version of The Dude...that got a thunderous cheer from the audience.

That, and one of the characters stalking towards the other, giving a flick of their hand that caused their disc to light up in it like a switchblade, someone knows how to do dramatic film with updates of familiar things.

I also hope there are Recognizers. And that they don't do pop or grinding guitar soundtrack, but give it to some of the best current electronica artists, to show how far that's come as well.

Video: Fuzzy, but it is a bootleg from a con. http://teaser-trailer.com/2008/07/tr2n-trailer-tron-2-better-version.html

Oh, and from studio rumors, the yellow one with Flynn's 1982 face? That's Clu. If that's true, that's a HELL of a bit of continuity!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:28:43 PM by Manedwolf »

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »
I watched Tron a while back.
Probably the most horrible movie I've ever seen.

I haven't seen Zardoz though.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:43:31 PM »
I watched Tron a while back.
Probably the most horrible movie I've ever seen.

I haven't seen Zardoz though.

You're not old enough to appreciate it. It was always a juvenile adventure movie, but it had it's share of humor and cultural references for the 80's.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:50:47 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »
The thing about Tron was that it had an Internet well before there was an Internet for the general population.

It also needs to be seen in widescreen HD. Syd Mead's amazing minimalist architecture doesn't come across well on a tiny screen.

And I mean, come on. THAT is a security program.

Bunch of those things flying down at you like skyscrapers, spotlight beam sweeping over you? That's a great visual.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:02:19 AM »
Now that I have a 60 inch TV, I'll have to put Tron on my Netflix list.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 12:02:20 PM »
As long as it doesn't have THIS guy in it!! (He is a 2nd Amendment Supporter, though)
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:39:02 PM »
As long as it doesn't have THIS guy in it!! (He is a 2nd Amendment Supporter, though)
Hey, that our local quasi-celebrity you're dissing there!   :mad:

Jay is all right. He might even come by here.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:01:06 PM »
That leaked teaser really was sweet.

All it needed was a Recognizer though.  I was jonesing to see one and was disappointed when I didn't.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:04:17 PM »
That leaked teaser really was sweet.

All it needed was a Recognizer though.  I was jonesing to see one and was disappointed when I didn't.

I wonder what a firewall will look like.

Should be a big wall, miles high, with tons of threatening looking hatches in it, with I/O beams going in and out, and sometimes the hatches slam shut, causing those trying to go through to crash and die/de-rezz...
I promise not to duck.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 09:07:36 PM »
You're not old enough to appreciate it. It was always a juvenile adventure movie, but it had it's share of humor and cultural references for the 80's.
Perhaps.  I know I was around and able to appreciate movies for some of the 80s...  I like a LOT of the stuff from the 80s while not necessarily remembering it.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »
I wonder what a firewall will look like.

Should be a big wall, miles high, with tons of threatening looking hatches in it, with I/O beams going in and out, and sometimes the hatches slam shut, causing those trying to go through to crash and die/de-rezz...

They're in the Tron 2.0 game, which was absolutely inspired. Search Engines, too.

"In the event of sudden archive decompression, a subnet mask will rez into your overhead memory. If you are accompanying any subprograms, please install your own mask before assisting them."  =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yuPEPiPzY

Typical scene. Yes, that's a Recognizer being carried atop the passenger transport!

And also, here...yes, that is Bruce Boxleitner as Alan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldA1VOxELU4
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:17:42 PM by Manedwolf »

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 07:58:34 AM »
They're in the Tron 2.0 game, which was absolutely inspired. Search Engines, too.

"In the event of sudden archive decompression, a subnet mask will rez into your overhead memory. If you are accompanying any subprograms, please install your own mask before assisting them."  =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yuPEPiPzY

Typical scene. Yes, that's a Recognizer being carried atop the passenger transport!

And also, here...yes, that is Bruce Boxleitner as Alan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldA1VOxELU4

Was thinking about that game when I almost posted in this thread yesterday.  Gotta load it back up and take another pass through it - it was fantastic!

Looking forward to the movie, as well - the teaser trailer looks promising!

Tron Guy's a member here? 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 12:33:43 PM »
If they're going to keep going with 1980's sequels, they're probably going to go ahead with another one they'd been discussing.

Last Starfighter 2.

And no, I'm not kidding. The pitched premise didn't actually sound bad, either, if they didn't screw it up. Same actor, but...more about his son as well, and needing to get more starfighters from Earth, because we're apparently good at that sort of thing. Lots of gamers.

That could actually be fun. If they gave it to the same writers as Galaxy Quest, it could be hilarious. And yes, I'd not mind seeing an all-out battle with Gunstars done by ILM. I always liked the design of those. So did J. Michael Strazinsky, because he stole it. ;)

I mean...just picture a fish-out-of-water thing, like Galaxy Quest, but with typical hardcore Halo/Battlefield/etc...gamers thrown into real strategy planning and real starfighters. That could be fun. :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:38:14 PM by Manedwolf »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 01:21:11 PM »
Poor aliens. The Halo/Starcraft guys would STEAMROLL them.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
Poor aliens. The Halo/Starcraft guys would STEAMROLL them.

I don't know about that.

"What do you MEAN we don't respawn?"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
I was just wondering about Last Starfighter the other day.  That would be kind of a neat re-make or sequel.

One that needs a total reboot, though:  Krull.  Doctor the plot up a bit (or more than a bit), though.

Actually, I feel a bit of an itch for a few good Willow/Krull/Conan/etc type of stand alone movies.  Some swords-n-magic stuff with a plot you can walk away from at the end and know it won't be resurrected in 18 months. 

LoTR was great and I appreciated it, but I don't consider it the same genre.  It was high epic fantasy, and holds a similar place in my estimation with Greek or Biblical epics.  It was a triumph of a series... but it wasn't pulp fantasy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 03:10:37 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 03:25:05 PM »
I have to admit I'd always liked the spaceship design. It didn't try to look like anything but "Hello, there's probably lots of weapons on this, and it's going to kick your ass". I mean, they called it a Gunstar. Basically a spaceship version of an Apache, or an A-10.

I like that.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 06:37:42 PM »
http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter/Starfighter.exe

Do you have what it takes?

=D

It says there's a missing file - d3drm.dll.  Won't run without it, apparently.  I'm looking around trying to see what's the safest way to get it (plenty of sites come up when I search for the filename, but they give me the heebie-jeebies when they offer to download it to my PC...).  If you happen to have a fix that'll work, please let me know - I'd like to give this a try.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »
I don't know about that.

"What do you MEAN we don't respawn?"

Guy I knew worked at a paintball range. They once set up a match between a team of Counterstrike players and one of Sayeret Golani/Tzanhanim/etc. vets.

The idea was to make an educational experience for the CSers who - so everybody thought - would get utterly steamrolled by the veterans.

The exact reverse took place. :D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 07:27:56 PM »
Guy I knew worked at a paintball range. They once set up a match between a team of Counterstrike players and one of Sayeret Golani/Tzanhanim/etc. vets.

The idea was to make an educational experience for the CSers who - so everybody thought - would get utterly steamrolled by the veterans.

The exact reverse took place. :D

That's happened elsewhere between tournament paintballers and military units.

They're much more aggressive when maneuvering and eschew cover at times because brightly colored .68 caliber 300fps paintballs can be dodged at 25 yards or more.

The military folks fought as they trained, like the bullets were real, and that there's a difference between cover and mere concealment.

Real bullets, and the gamers are canon fodder.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 07:29:55 PM »
It says there's a missing file - d3drm.dll.  Won't run without it, apparently.  I'm looking around trying to see what's the safest way to get it (plenty of sites come up when I search for the filename, but they give me the heebie-jeebies when they offer to download it to my PC...).  If you happen to have a fix that'll work, please let me know - I'd like to give this a try.

Hmmm.  Downloaded for me.
--Lysander Spooner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 07:58:34 PM »
That's happened elsewhere between tournament paintballers and military units.

They're much more aggressive when maneuvering and eschew cover at times because brightly colored .68 caliber 300fps paintballs can be dodged at 25 yards or more.

The military folks fought as they trained, like the bullets were real, and that there's a difference between cover and mere concealment.

Real bullets, and the gamers are canon fodder.

The military units should start insisting on using Simunitions instead of paint ball guns.  Won't eliminate the cover problem, but they're not quite as easy to dodge... =D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »
The military units should start insisting on using Simunitions instead of paint ball guns.  Won't eliminate the cover problem, but they're not quite as easy to dodge... =D

And they sting like hell if they hit unprotected skin.  Think wasp sting.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton