Author Topic: W00T! I developed my first roll of B&W film in over 10 years.  (Read 5520 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
W00T! I developed my first roll of B&W film in over 10 years.
« on: February 15, 2006, 02:03:03 AM »
And it came out perfect.  It was Fuji Neopan 1600, exposed at 1600 in a 30yo Olympus SLR (my recently CLA'd OM-1), and developed in D-76.  I haven't printed the negs yet, but they look perfect.  I'll probably scan and enlarge them on the PC (I'll feel dirty for doing so) first to make sure they're printable, but they're going to be printed the old fashioned way. Smiley

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 02:20:50 AM »
You know what's funny? I just yesterday took out this  ~1957 Leica M3 (not an SLR) I've had in the gun safe for quite a while now. Complete kit with lenses, filters, provenance, you name it. I'm torn between selling it and keeping it to use  myself when I "retire" in the hopes of generating some income with it. First I'd have to learn what the heck you're talking about though. While I've had a few SLRs and have pretty much figured out how to use the camera (it's actually pretty simple), I know zip about the developing end of it. Not to mention the equipment and materials $ I'd have to get into. And the fact that I already have too many "hobbies". I had it serviced back in '99 and the guy gave it a clean bill of health. He told me, "That's too much camera for you." and offered me $1000 for it. I declined. Having now read the manual and looked it over, a monkey could use that camera. Leica boasts it's good enough for the professional but simple enough for an amatuer to use, and IMHO they're right. It's one of thiose deals where I KNOW if I sell it I'll be kicking myself in the ass forever afterward.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 02:32:36 AM »
1957 Leica M3
/droooool.  

He told me, "That's too much camera for you."
Moron.  It's an expensive camera, but no more "advanced" than any SLR.  What makes it "too much" in the eyes of some folks is it's price and "snob appeal".

BTW, developing B&W negatives is easy.  It only took me half an hour to go from exposed film to negatives hanging and drying.  Prints are a different matter, but none of it is too hard.

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 03:10:43 AM »
Yup, I probably shouldn't mention the contact printer and enlarger and other sundry stuff I let go with the estate. (As I kick myself in the ass) rolleyes

The camera is an absolutely beautiful piece of fine craftsmanship. I look in the lenses and operate the aperture setting watching it open and close and I swear I've never seen anything else that comes that close to perfection. Smooth as silk. I know if I sell it, I'll never see another like it again. I should just go out and buy a roll of BW eh? Cheesy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 04:05:42 AM »
its a tool, use it

a few of my buddies used to always be seen with a Leicaover their shoulder.
Now they have dangling digicams.

i check the value of antique cameras here:
http://www.keh.com/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mfree

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 04:28:32 AM »
I enjoy using a 1967 Nikkormat FTN that I salvaged from an ebay auction (it was gunked up so badly the shutter was stuck). Beautiful things come from that massive hunk of brass, mmhmm Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 04:35:42 AM »
What a way to spend a romantic Valentine's Day there, fatboy! Cheesy

I developed my last roll of B&W film in 1990. When I was with the newspaper I did virtually all of my own photography, developing, and printing. It was a lot of fun.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 05:03:42 AM »
The camera is an absolutely beautiful piece of fine craftsmanship
Yup.  While I get more useable pictures with my Nikon N80 with it's autofocus, autoexposure, excellent flash system, etc, I get more pleasure from using older cameras like my Olympus.

I'd like to get a Leica one day because I think they're neat machines, but I'm not sure I want to sink that much cash into yet another 35mm system when medium format cameras are getting more affordable.  I'm half tempted to skip MF and go straight to 4x5, but I'm not sure I'd have time for that.  The nice thing about 35mm (and probably MF as well) is that it's very portable and doesn't require a lot of setup or planning to use.  I'm afraid that 4x5 would require too much planning ahead of time.

I should just go out and buy a roll of BW eh?
Yes!  Even Wal-Mart carries B&W.  If you're not ready to develop your own and don't feel like paying extra for B&W development, check out Kodak's 400CN film.  It's a B&W film designed to be developed by C41 minilabs (like those at Wal-Mart).  At least when printed at Wal-Mart, the prints are nice looking with a pleasing near-sepia tone look to them.  Supposedly, you can print the negatives on standard B&W equipment with standard B&W paper.  

What a way to spend a romantic Valentine's Day there, fatboy
Yeah, well, I told you we were boring. Smiley

Chris

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 05:07:17 AM »
Ah the smell of chemicals, the sloshing sound of the developer tank, the soft glow of the safelight.

Brings back some neat old memories.

Chris, do you have a dedicated darkroom or did you bathroom sink it? Can't wait to see the results.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 05:24:54 AM »
Quote from: garrettwc
Ah the smell of chemicals, the sloshing sound of the developer tank, the soft glow of the safelight.

Brings back some neat old memories.

Chris, do you have a dedicated darkroom or did you bathroom sink it? Can't wait to see the results.
Bathroom sink.  I have an unfinished half bath downstairs I could convert, but I want to make sure I'll stick with this long enough to make it worth the effort.

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 06:08:26 AM »
I was fortunate enough to have it fall into my lap. I never would have even considered the idea of buying one. It's been a "safe queen" too long I guess. Did you guys say bathroom sink? Don't worry, when Mrs 280 starts hollerin' I won't tell her where I got the idea. Cheesy

The other thing I'm thinking is I had to practically GIVE the photo lab stuff away just to get rid of it so I'll probably be able to hook back up pretty cheap if I look in the right places.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 06:22:14 AM »
Hit the local photo shops and you'll probably be able to get the hardware to develop negs for a song.  There's a nice Bessler tank/reel set at the local shop for $15, was $30 new.  I recently bought a used Durst enlarger on Ebay for $46 shipped.  I need a new bulb, but it seems ok otherwise.  Last time I did all this, Ebay didn't exist and digital photography was a dream, so darkroom equipment was still selling for high prices.

When you get started, make sure your bathroom is completely dark.  You'll probably need to hang something ove the door to block stray light.  Just use some thumbtacks and an old, dark sheet.  Test this first by staying in there for a few minutes while your eyes adjust.  If you see ANY light, you need to block it.  Check your watch too.  If the hands glow in the dark, you'll want to take it off.  Once you get the film into the tank, you can turn the lights back on (just turn them off when adding or removing chems to the tank).

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 06:39:32 AM »
"bathroom sink..."

Don't forget that by filling your tub with warm water you get a large thermal mass that will allow you to keep your chemicals at a very consistent temperature during developing.

The one thing I TRULY hated about developing at the newspaper was trying to keep the temperatures consistent. we only had a small sink and had to use running water, and if you were doing a lot of developing you could run out of hot water. And since the water came out of the local reservior at between 40 and 60 deg. F even in the dead of summer...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 06:46:56 AM »
Actually, I didn't use a water bath at all.  The ambient temp upstairs was 72deg, which is perfect for B&W development.  All the chemicals had been mixed days before and had plenty of time to reach ambient.  Color is less forgiving though, in both temp sensitivity and temp itself.  

In the past, I had bigger problems from exhausted chems or insufficient fixing (ahh, the joys of a shared college darkroom...).  Temp, even if off by a degree or three was never a problem.  At least for B&W...

Chris

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 09:45:39 AM »
280, mtnbkr,

I know what you mean by "work of art.  I just got back my Bolex 16mm movie camera.  It's probably 70 years old, but it will still shoot great movies (assuming, of course that anyone still used film for anything).
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 10:51:53 AM »
Thanks for the pointers guys. I think I'll start with the 400CN and go from there. Probably take a couple photog classes. They have them at the local CC...

Looks like I'm talked out of selling it.

Cheesy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 11:11:46 AM »
Just don't tell the county you are running a dark room in the basement.

Arlington VA will want to adjust your sewer bill...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 11:57:28 AM »
I think I'll start with the 400CN and go from there. Probably take a couple photog classes. They have them at the local CC...
You've got a lot of interesting subject matter in and around Asheville to boot. Landscapes, street life, portraits, all withing a few miles. Shooting a camera is just like shooting a gun. The more you do it, the better you get.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 01:51:14 PM »
You're in Asheville?  As in NC?  Definately lots of photogenic scenery there.

Arlington VA will want to adjust your sewer bill...
Seeing how I'm in Manassas, Arlington can go pound sand. Tongue

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 03:18:08 PM »
Somehow I think someone is confused. I am in Connecticut. But don't worry, there's plenty of subject matter around here too!

Cheesy

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 06:49:48 PM »
That would be me, the state of confusion. I know a couple of our members are in NC and for some reason I was thinking it was you. shocked

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 08:58:33 PM »
I love my point and shoot digital.  Great to have around for the everyday pics.

There is jsut some satisifaction, though, in taking the old Canon SLR out and playing with settings, giving you more control of the pic than just pushing the button.  Makes you feel like you did something.  Plus, the pics are much better than anything else I have used.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006, 03:21:34 AM »
That would be me
LOL... Thanks, I thought it was me. Cheesy

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2006, 04:09:26 AM »
You don't even need a darkroom to develop JUST negs.

1) Sacrifice a roll of film and learn to load reels (in daylight).  Practice a lot and
until you can do it with your eyes closed.

2) Get a changing bag (looks like black inside-out tee-shirt) and practice in there.
(You gotta be SURE you have tank, reels and TANK COVER in there before you start
along with scissor and a church-key.)

3) Rhodinal will develop MOST B/W films.  Kodak fixer is dirt cheap and lasts FOREVER
(well a long time) in powder or liquid form.  Reusable for several uses.

B/W films are VERY tolerant of SLIGHT variations in temperature.

Geeze, I started developing in the 60s - maybe I oughta dig out the 40-yr-old Minolta
STR-100 and pop off a few...digital is making me sloppy.  Do they even make Plus-X and
Tri-X any more?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2006, 04:35:12 AM »
Do they even make Plus-X and Tri-X any more?
Yes, I have a roll of Tri-X in my camera as we speak.

Chris