Author Topic: These guys ripped off my idea!  (Read 5519 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
These guys ripped off my idea!
« on: October 14, 2010, 07:46:32 AM »
I propsed something like this to a bunch of RC plane guys like 15-20 years ago and they all looked at me like I was nuts. Acted that way too. lol...

tell me you don't want to try this

safe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLLAKnVej9o
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: These guys ripped off my idea!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:19:22 AM »
What I want to do, is blonde and holding a shotgun in the foreground of that video :-)
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:12:37 AM »
We've done this every year at the fun fly with paintballs. The problem with using real guns is cost, it's likely every crash destroyed a $50-$70 motor, and the radio gear (another $50) is questionable too, even if it was armoured. The airframe is cheap, they were using a SPAD, made from a coroplast wing and gutter down spout for a fuselage.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
I remember seeing a version of this on TV some years back . . . except it was at a machine gun shoot of some kind.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »
Yea. I had thoughts about armoring around at least the expensive parts. I guess the motor hitting the ground shaft first probably doesn't do them much good? maybe a little cage like a doggie cone to protect the prop and motor. I like the one they're flying there. big flat bottom that stops the pellets, probably light birdshot and the exploders to designate a hit.

The other thing would be dogfight skills. Could you scream your plane along the line of fire and somehow manuver it to avoid being shot up? Kind of like racing for pinks. You shoot me down the plane is yours, you miss x number of rounds your SG is mine...  >:D

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:13:57 PM »
That looks like WAY too much fun! Some light angle-iron (only made from aluminum) to shield the motor and electronics, a disposable wing and fuselage and a bucket full of cheap props and yer good to go! All ya need is to use low brass #9 or so and it wouldn't be all THAT expensive a proposition!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »
Yea. I had thoughts about armoring around at least the expensive parts. I guess the motor hitting the ground shaft first probably doesn't do them much good? maybe a little cage like a doggie cone to protect the prop and motor. I like the one they're flying there. big flat bottom that stops the pellets, probably light birdshot and the exploders to designate a hit.

Too complicated.

A pusher motor setup shielded by the fuselage & wing & under-armor with the pots.

I think I'd run with a thin aircraft aluminum tube fuselage to contain all control wires, batteries, etc, with holes drilled on the top side to snake out where they needed to go.

Heck, maybe even a ducted fan setup.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 03:48:35 AM »
That's pretty awesome.

I remember seeing a version of this on TV some years back . . . except it was at a machine gun shoot  of some kind.

I remember reading about an event like this in a Shotgun News I believe.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 09:32:59 AM »
On all the ma deuce ranges I went to we practiced AA fire.  The air defense guys would fly a model airplane up and down the range while we shot at it.  We got it only once.  This plane looked sort of like a mig-27 or 23 and was solid Styrofoam except for the control surfaces.  Not a lot of point in trying to armor up a model airplane against a .50 cal.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 09:41:36 AM »
I remember seeing a version of this on TV some years back . . . except it was at a machine gun shoot of some kind.

I know R. Lee Ermey did it once for TV.  I don't remember if it was a Mail Call or his newer Lock 'N Load show though.

Looks fun.  Anybody here know about how much coin you'd have to drop to get something like this going?

taurusowner

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »
Couldn't you just have your RC plane trail a foam glider on a line, and have the people shoot at the glider?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 07:07:59 PM »
Funny, I had JUST recalled the drone incident as I read that. We were shooting 5"/54 at a target like a banner being towed by a drone from shore. Yep, we shot the drone down.  The Navy was not happy. :laugh:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »
Too complicated.

A pusher motor setup shielded by the fuselage & wing & under-armor with the pots.

I think I'd run with a thin aircraft aluminum tube fuselage to contain all control wires, batteries, etc, with holes drilled on the top side to snake out where they needed to go.

Heck, maybe even a ducted fan setup.
I'll admit I have some limitations in the field of aeronautical design.  =D

taurusowner

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »
Funny, I had JUST recalled the drone incident as I read that. We were shooting 5"/54 at a target like a banner being towed by a drone from shore. Yep, we shot the drone down.  The Navy was not happy. :laugh:

Anything that makes swabbies cry* is good in my book =)

*Which is just about everything

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 09:45:32 AM »
Oh, I don't know, we hung in there pretty tough with no ice cream machine for a while.  :P

:laugh:

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 10:19:12 AM »
I well remember the Engineer yelling at the gunnies on our ship for missing a floating 55 gal drum with a big target on top of it with the 20mm's we had on board as our main armament. I don't think they ever got a piece of it! We weren't a fighting ship anyway but still...

USS Tringa ASR-16
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
We cheated with radar. The trick is to lock the radar on the target and not the drone.  =D

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »
My company brought a gun & fire control system to WSMR some years back.

Kept nailing the drone every single time, with single rounds.  One shot, one kill. 

Came to an agreement that our engineers would "zero" the gun relative to the real fire control solution way off the target, but by a known quantity.  Then, when the shot was taken, WSMR radar would know exactly where both target & shot went and determine if it was a "hit."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »
My company brought a gun & fire control system to WSMR some years back.

Kept nailing the drone every single time, with single rounds.  One shot, one kill. 

Came to an agreement that our engineers would "zero" the gun relative to the real fire control solution way off the target, but by a known quantity.  Then, when the shot was taken, WSMR radar would know exactly where both target & shot went and determine if it was a "hit."
Sounds like shooting my 45/22, it's just so easy to hit what you are aiming at that it almost takes the fun out of it!

MOLON LABE!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 02:50:36 PM »
Sounds like shooting my 45/22, it's just so easy to hit what you are aiming at that it almost takes the fun out of it!

Nice rig....where did you get the grips?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »
There is a guy named Dominic who goes by TechTeach on RimfireCentral in the 45/22 group that makes the grips and base pads CHEAP! They come in several colors and plain or rubberized and fit over the stock molded in grips. You can glue them on or use double-sticky tape or screw them on. The instructions and parts needed to screw them on are specified in the instructions along with very clear details on doing that. Before the replaceable grip model came out, these were the best thing going next to milling/grinding the factory grips off and then mounting standard 45 grips.

Dominic's email is: Dominic DOT Notaro AT csinet DOT net
MOLON LABE!