Author Topic: Five SUVs We Can't Have in America  (Read 5520 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Five SUVs We Can't Have in America
« on: August 12, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »
Looks like all five of them have diesel engines. Thanks EPA.

http://huckberry.com/blog/posts/124-5-awesome-4wd-s-we-can-t-have-in-america
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Five SUVs We Can't Have in America
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »
I would hate for all the water and air in America to be poisoned and kill all the children because someone screamed that we should get rid of the EPA.

;)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »
I would hate for all the water and air in America to be poisoned and kill all the children because someone screamed that we should get rid of the EPA.

;)

Yeah, small efficient diesels will be the death of us all  ;/

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »
Someone needs to figure out a loophole, where you could buy the vehicle sans motor, and install the deisel at a third party. There is no law in Ohio preventing me from dropping a deisel motor in my Wrangler.
Oddly, they've been made in ohio for decades, and we can't buy them. Political idiocy at it's best.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
I fear you'd run afoul of the federal emissions laws. Basicly it's illegal to bypass or disable any emissions equipment your car came from the factory with. (Theres some exceptions for older cars) Also in states with inspections you'd still have to meet those standards. Which is the problem with euro deisels in the first place.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
I fear you'd run afoul of the federal emissions laws. Basicly it's illegal to bypass or disable any emissions equipment your car came from the factory with. (Theres some exceptions for older cars) Also in states with inspections you'd still have to meet those standards. Which is the problem with euro deisels in the first place.

Unless its a kitcar...like a noble.  You could buy an SUV "kit" and a motor, and then assemble.  You would then have to meet emissions standards....which euro diesels do.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »
I would love to have a Hilux.  Of course, I would be compelled to mount an old Soviet 23 mm cannon in the back and pretend I was in Mogadishu. Tailgate this, numbnuts!  

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
Yeah, small efficient diesels will be the death of us all, but worse, an annoyance to Government Motors and the US auto industry.

:P
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »
Which is the problem with euro deisels in the first place.

The Euro manufacturers ( I think Mercedes in particular) have been investing a lot more in "clean diesel" tech. My problem with it is that I really don't know that there is much net reduction (if any) in pollution (and that's real pollution, not stuff like CO2 being a "health hazard").

I have a "clean diesel" 2008 F250 with the diesel particulate filter. The 2007 F250s get on average 5MPG more than I do. Guys in states where it's allowed have removed the diesel particulate filter from their 2008s and have recovered their fuel mileage. Since everyone has to use the ultra low sulfur diesel now, all I'm doing is using more fuel to go the same distance as an older model diesel with only a very slight reduction in pollutants. The particulate filter uses fuel to burn particulates into fine ash - when it's working (about every other fill up) I can use the MPG lie-o-meter and watch my MPG steadily drop at a fast rate for the twenty or so minutes that it runs.

May European countries, Germany for instance, have a pretty Green culture, which is why they have always been using small diesels in small cars. Burning 20 gallons of diesel at 50MPG seems to me to be a better way to reduce pollution than burning 20 gallons of gasoline at 20MPG.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »
. . . Guys in states where it's allowed have removed the diesel particulate filter from their 2008s and have recovered their fuel mileage.
Seems like it's calling for a quick-connect coupling; remove filter & improve fuel economy. When it's time for the inspection, put filter back on. Pass test, go home, remove filter. Pretty straightforward.

I knew guys who used to do that with their catalytic converters in the mid to late '70s.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 11:53:07 AM »
My understanding was that EU emissions aren't so much looser as they measure different thing. This, combined with American's aversion to non truck deisels has made it uneconomical to get good mpg euro deisels in this market. Also i understamd that US fuel is formulated differently which effects mpg here. But i am not a chemist.

Kit trucks would be an option but my experiance with kit vehicles are that they take more tinkering and maintaince then you would want for a daily driver.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »
Seems like it's calling for a quick-connect coupling; remove filter & improve fuel economy. When it's time for the inspection, put filter back on. Pass test, go home, remove filter. Pretty straightforward.

I knew guys who used to do that with their catalytic converters in the mid to late '70s.

Actually a bit more than that, as it's all computer controlled. There's apparently after market chips programmed for running sans DPF, so you'd have to reprogram the engine each time as well.

Though freakin' CA started smog checks for diesels a couple of years back, and mine got called in for it last year. I paid twice as much for it as a smog check for my gasoline vehicle, and it was literally a five minute visual inspection. They didn't hook a single sensor up to measure exhaust like they do with gasoline vehicles. Which would mean I could remove my DPF and no one would be the wiser - maybe. This isn't the state to take the chance in though - I'd likely have to take a loan out to pay the fine if I were caught.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 12:07:12 PM »
Burning 20 gallons of diesel at 50MPG seems to me to be a better way to reduce pollution than burning 20 gallons of gasoline at 20MPG.

This  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »
last yr I read a thread on calguns that described buying a new hilux that was chopped in half, you take the engine and drop it into your toyota pu and you got yourself a small diesel pu truck.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352471&highlight=hilux

wow! 2010, how come I remember this but not the lyrics Hotel California?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
Burning 20 gallons of diesel at 50MPG seems to me to be a better way to reduce pollution than burning 20 gallons of gasoline at 20MPG.

Folks at the EPA aren't very good at math, or science... or anything else.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
Sometimes it's enough to make a fellow wonder if it is less about protecting the environment and more about controlling the population...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »
Sometimes it's enough to make a fellow wonder if it is less about protecting the environment and more about controlling the population...

Nah, it couldn't be.  They're from the government, they're here to help.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
Just about every episode of "Top Gear"  (the British verison, not that American POS), they test a small diesel coupe of some type or another that's about the size fo a Camry.  And they all get 40-50mpg.  And I sit and wonder why we can't have nice things....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
The diesel emissions regs in the EU and here will be near enough to the same by 2013 that any diesel meeting Euro 6 standards should be able to meet the 2010 US standards.  At least for the heavy duty trucks.  Not sure if the standards are the same for pas-cars.
Formerly sumpnz

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »
I'd be all over a 30 mpg small pickup with a 2.5-3L turbo diesel, but not the auto-trans bloated poshmobiles with every option they seem to produce these days. I want one with 3 pedals, a manual transfer case, and an interior I can wash out with a hose.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 06:57:49 PM »
I'd be all over a 30 mpg small pickup with a 2.5-3L turbo diesel, but not the auto-trans bloated poshmobiles with every option they seem to produce these days. I want one with 3 pedals, a manual transfer case, and an interior I can wash out with a hose.

Yeah, and not spending $40-60K for something to go bang around the bush  ;/

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »

Sounds good, unfortunatly the market drives car design. And the VAST majority of byers want leather, a/c, good stereo and ride comfort. So the market for the pickup you describe is pretty small.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »
Sounds good, unfortunatly the market drives car design. And the VAST majority of byers want leather, a/c, good stereo and ride comfort. So the market for the pickup you describe is pretty small.

Unfortunately, most of the people who buy 4wds these days are city idiots  ;/

So the rest of us have to try to keep some 30-40 year old pickup running to use to get some work done.

Who the hell is going to take a $50K pickup out into the woods to cut a $100 worth of firewood  ???

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 07:52:15 PM »
I have a 2001 Silverado with the small V8.  I don't think it has ever gotten the 20 MPG it was EPA rated (it might have the last time I drove to Wisconsin, I didn't check it.)  I do get 19 if I drive it gently.

I'd kind of like to do a small diesel engine swap (like a 86-100hp Perkins turbodiesel), but I know I don't drive it enough to save enough to pay for it.  Still...

Is it even possible to swap the engine in a vehicle later than about 1995?  I'm not sure how far the computer's tentacles extend.  Dashboard gauges?  Transmission?  Brakes?  A/C?
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
Probably not :(

I knew a guy that had a GM V-6 diesel in a 1978 F-250  =D

It was a low-rider in the front  ;)

It sounded like a real truck and looked like a small forest fire when he started it  =D