Author Topic: If you could only have one...  (Read 5505 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If you could only have one...
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »
No, not another only one gun thread.

If you could only have one powder for reloading what would you choose?

For me it would be Unique.
I have a load for every cartridge I reload for that uses Unique.
.223 Rem. .30-30, .38 Spec, .357 mag. .45 ACP .45-70 Gov. and 7.65 Argentine.
I've also heard it can be used to load shotshells =D ANd while I don't currently reload shotshell I do have a complete set up to do so.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: If you could only have one...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:32:59 PM »
Probably Unique as well.  I can use it for every handgun cartridge I load and can probably get by with it in my two rifle cartridges.

A close 2nd would be Trail Boss.  I'd lose a lot of performance, but it's even more flexible.

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:51:14 PM »
SR4756 fills more or less the same niche as Unique, but burns a lot cleaner; it's just a bit slower on the burning rate charts I've looked at. I've used it in 12 ga field loads and various handguns from .38 Special through .44 Magnum with very good results in all.

Other than in specialty low-velocity plinking loads, it's not well suited to most rifle cartridges.

Edited to add: If I had to choose just ONE rifle powder, it would be IMR4320. It's not the "perfect" powder across the board, it won't give highest velocities in most rounds, but it's a reasonable choice for every cartridge I load from .223 through .375 H&H; it's also the "slowest" powder recommended for loading gasguns like the M1 and M1A where port pressure is a concern.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:23:44 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »
I'm also a Unique fan for an all-around powder. There might be better alternatives, but I've used unique in a majority of my pistol rounds and all my shotgun rounds since I began reloading in the late 70's, so never really experimented with other powders. I'm not sure what I could do with it in my rifles though. My goto hunting round is .308, which I use 3031 for. I think there is data for Unique, but I believe it's all with cast bullets.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:08:14 PM »

I've also heard it can be used to load shotshells =D ANd while I don't currently reload shotshell I do have a complete set up to do so.

Bullseye.  I haven't loaded anything for a rifle for years, and Bullseye is basically all I use for handgun.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »
It would have to be a dire emergency to only use one powder for everything, mostly because of the drastically different pressure needs in rifle vs handgun.  If I did, it would likely be Universal or 4756.  Like Hank mentioned it's about the equivalent of Unique in pressure/burn rate, but much cleaner.

Unless absolutely forced into a single-powder scenario, but still in a bare-essentials situation, I'd keep two powders - one each for handgun and rifle.  My go-to for handgun boom dust is Tite-Group, and by a long shot (pun intended).  Rifle powder would be Varget.  Hugely adaptable with good to excellent performance in most every load I've had any first-hand experience with.  Second choice would be good old 4350.  A close third is 3031.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:52:09 PM »
4895, rifles more important than wee little guns.

Kinda bummed you weren't doing Ginger v. Mary Ann. While I'm usually unhealthily attracted to nature's warning color I have to say that in the long view Mary Ann aged a lot better.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:02:28 PM »
I'd also go with a rifle powder, suitable for semiautomatic service calibers.  4895, AA2495, Varget, Reloder15.  Something like that.

Push comes to shove, I bet it would work in magnum revolver loads, too.

As soon as things calm down powder-wise, I'll be investing in 8lb jugs of my preferred powders.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »
FFg, or in a pinch FFFg.  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 10:17:48 PM »
FFg, or in a pinch FFFg.  =D

Not the best choice for those little bottleneck cases.

I would take Red Dot first, Unique second and a third choice might be 4227.

jim

I know you asked for one but I don't listen.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »
That's all right, not counting a couple different brands/grades of the holy black I've got 9 different powders on my shelf.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:39:35 PM »
Unique- I've used in in several handgun and rifle cartridges.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:07:14 AM »
Bottleneck cases, not unlike smokeless powder, is a passing fad.

=D

I don't think I could settle on just one.

WW231 does yeoman duty for handguns, and IMR4895 performs similar functions in my autoloading rifles. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:13:52 AM »
I would have a hard time with just one.

I use tightgroup or clays for non magnum handguns. H110 and AA #9 for magnum handguns. RL-7, RL-22, AA 2230, & Varget for rifle loads.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
I'd go with Unique.  Works in everything from rifles to shotguns and pistols.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 10:47:25 AM »
WW231 does yeoman duty for handguns, 

While I use Unique for most of my large caliber handguns, and some Bullseye for the .38, the W231 rocks my .45ACP. I actually have more of that on hand than anything else since I reload so much .45ACP.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 10:52:16 AM »
I have a 4 year old partial bottle of WW231 that I got when I bought out a guy's reloading setup (in order to get a Dillon SDB and a few sets of dies for it).

I've yet to use any of it, mostly because I'm terrified it's not WW231.  Looking at some of the brass I got with the lot, he loved to load REALLY hot.  Sloppy hot.  Makes me wonder if the powder is not all WW231.  Not a fan of using someone else's powder when their work habits in reloading are so obviously sloppy.

I think about adding it to the garden from time to time, but I then realize that a pound of ANY powder is nearly irreplaceable nowadays and it just sits in the back of my cabinet peacefully undisturbed instead.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »
I'd go with Unique.  Works in everything from rifles to shotguns and pistols.

I think Unique would cause a KB with my 300wm if I tried to replicate my RL-22 loads.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »
Having given this the benefit of my penetrating insight, I concur with Unique, if there is to be exactly one propellant.  The rifle in which I would use it is a Marlin lever gun.  Well, any one of six I have.  Three in .357, and 3 in .44M.  You can stoke up some pretty stout loads if you refer to the Speer #8 manual.  Really, really hot stuff, to give lawyers the shakes.  Consider a .45ACP launching a 200JHP out of an S&W M25 at almost 1300fps.  That kinda hot.  Daaaaaaaaamn hot.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 10:01:32 PM »
I've been using power pistol in all my handgun rounds for a few years. I use win 748 in the 223 and a few others in the bigger stuff 270, 30-06, 30-30. I don't do shot shells currently.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 09:35:35 AM »
Having given this the benefit of my penetrating insight, I concur with Unique, if there is to be exactly one propellant.  The rifle in which I would use it is a Marlin lever gun.  Well, any one of six I have.  Three in .357, and 3 in .44M.  You can stoke up some pretty stout loads if you refer to the Speer #8 manual.  Really, really hot stuff, to give lawyers the shakes.  Consider a .45ACP launching a 200JHP out of an S&W M25 at almost 1300fps.  That kinda hot.  Daaaaaaaaamn hot.
That .45 AR Unique load is at least 3 grains above the maximum I've seen anywhere else. And their hot loads weren't confined to Unique powder; as much as I like SR4756, Speer's top SR4756 loads from their #8 manual are too hot. In fact, a buddy of mine got a later printing of the #8 manual than I did, and the SR4756 loads had been removed - he had blank spaces where I had data.

I have a gut feeling that something happened that they won't talk about.

FWIW, the DuPont manuals from the same time frame provided much better maximum load data, IMHO.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »

Unique is all that I have ever used, but I guess that I'm not a serious reloader.  Without a progressive press, I'm not sure that it is worth the time.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
I've only got 4 presses. A single stage Lee, 2 Lyman turrets, one old style and one new and the Hornady progressive. I use the new style Lyman for .45-70 and .30-30 and small batches of .38/.357. Everything else gets run on the progressive. I keep a pretty leisurly pace on the Hornady and run about 200 rds and hour off of it. The single stage Lee gets used when I'm working up military 5.56 with crimped primers and the old style Lyman turret doesn't see much use.
I run the turret press as a manual semi-progressive I'll resize/decap a batch then after priming with a Lee hand primer tool I'll set my powder measure up on the press with a powder through expander adapter die and go to work. Charge/expand a case, seat and crimp.
I'm mostly using cast bullets for everything but .223/5.56 so I'll occasionaly have to clean out the bullet seating die due to lube build up.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »
Were I to settle on a powder for both handgun and rifle, I'd have to go with Alliant 2400. 

That would allow me to run cast bullets in my big rimmed cartridge rifles like .30-30 and .45-70.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 07:51:03 PM »
I think Unique would cause a KB with my 300wm if I tried to replicate my RL-22 loads.

I didn't say all.  But it worked just fine in Model 94 in .32 Win Spec.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.