Author Topic: Dead stove  (Read 5506 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Dead stove
« on: December 15, 2013, 11:37:20 PM »
Visited a friend today. Her Kenmore stove seems to have gone TU. It shows an F10 on the display and beeps. Google says this is code for a bad temp sensor. She has replaced the temp sensor, but the problem persists.

Looking at this thing there really isn't much more to it than the sensor, the control board and the light. If it's not the sensor or the wires to it, it has to be the board, right?

Board says it's Electrolux 316455520. When I look for this number I find all manner of other brands that are not Kenmore. Seems they all come out of the same factory in China, though...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Jim147

• friends
Re: Dead stove
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:20:47 AM »
Ohm the probe wires at the board connector. Should be about 1100 at room temp IIRC. Seems like F1* was a control problem and F3* was a probe problem.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:03:41 AM »
Ohm the probe wires at the board connector. Should be about 1100 at room temp IIRC. Seems like F1* was a control problem and F3* was a probe problem.

jim
Both the old and new probes show about that, so I think the probes are good.

I take it there is no fixing the control aside from replacing it?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »
i'm not sure if it will fix it, but i would try unplugging the stove and let it sit for an hour, then reboot.  any loose/corroded connections?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 12:12:58 PM »
i'm not sure if it will fix it, but i would try unplugging the stove and let it sit for an hour, then reboot. 
Tried that. No dice.

any loose/corroded connections?
Nope, everything looks tight and shiny.

Robert A Heinlein

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:05:55 PM »
Both the old and new probes show about that, so I think the probes are good.

I take it there is no fixing the control aside from replacing it?

Not for an F10 error. The EOC has a checksum error or is reading something so far out of range that is knows it can't be right. I've soldered a few relays back on to get people going. I may have replaced a trace on one board with a piece of LV TSTAT wire using a small screwdriver heated with my torch in the back of a service van dealing with a very unhappy customer because not one but two of my techs had screwed up.

jim

jim

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 08:29:32 PM »
I've soldered a few relays back on to get people going. I may have replaced a trace on one board with a piece of LV TSTAT wire using a small screwdriver heated with my torch in the back of a service van dealing with a very unhappy customer because not one but two of my techs had screwed up.
jim
Oldschool. I like it. :)

There is a control unit with the same part number and the same general appearance on Amazon for $70. It doesn't say it's for a Kenmore, though. Should I get that? Or go look for OEM?

Robert A Heinlein

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 08:39:13 PM »
Let me check with some of my Electrolux distributors in the morning and I'll get back with you.

jim

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 09:08:19 PM »
What is the model number?  Specifically the three digits before the dot.  That will tell you who really made it.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:03:12 AM »
The stove model number wasn't obvious. The control board model number has no dots. 

Robert A Heinlein

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 10:45:45 AM »
I just talked to the Canucks at the range factory and they say no way hoser(actually he said something in French that I didn't catch) on your part number.

I know it comes up on Amazon but I don't know where they are getting it. The model number should be on the frame inside the right of the drawer.

jim

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
Here is what the thing looks like:

I am not anywhere near the stove now, but I'll see what I can do about getting the model.

Robert A Heinlein

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 06:33:53 PM »
Alrighty. The model number apparently is 790.71202704

790?

Robert A Heinlein

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 08:08:58 PM »
Eoc is 316455430
Overlay is 316220711 The white sticker on the front that sometimes gets messed up swapping it.

I can have an EOC shipping tomorrow if you don't find one closer. What area are you in? PM me. If I have a distributor in your area I could put on will call.

jim

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
Alrighty. The model number apparently is 790.71202704

790?

Frigidaire.  Which, iirc, is the same as Electrolux with ovens.