Author Topic: Suitcases WITHOUT wheels? Do they still exist?  (Read 5520 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Suitcases WITHOUT wheels? Do they still exist?
« on: February 01, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »
I'm looking for a small suitcase; Wife seems to have thrown away or lost all of our old ones.  She has some new luggage but I don't.  So I'm looking for a 20" or 21" case that I can either check or maybe carry-on. I don't want wheels and a handlebar on it!  But that seems to be the new fad.  BTW, her luggage all has wheels and telescoping handlebars.  (I just hope she lets me put a pocketknife in her checked bag)

Am I going to have to goto the Salvation Army store to find an old beat up Samsonite?

I have my dad's old army duffel bag from Korea, but it's too big to even have a chance of carrying-on.

"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend

Unisaw

• friend
Re: Suitcases WITHOUT wheels? Do they still exist?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:05:42 PM »
I travel a lot and use a Red Oxx Air Boss.  It's pricey but I have used it for about 25 trips so far and it looks brand new.  It looks small, but I have used it for a 12-day trip.  The owner is a former parachute rigger and it shows -- the products are very well made.  I've never had a problem carrying it on -- even on smaller regional aircraft.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:08:51 PM by Unisaw »
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:10:08 PM »
Wheels and handlebar isn't a new fad, probably been popular since the 1990s.

I use gym type bag for my luggage.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »
Having traveled a fair bit in the last ten years, and using both roller and non-roller carry on size bags, my first question is "why"? Rollers and handles don't appreciably alter the interior volume, and they can be downright handy at times. In my experience the handle mechanism also lends a fair bit of added ruggedness.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 09:29:20 PM »
My previous suitcase was a TravelPro with wheels.  The frame and handle did take up a lot of interior volume and added some weight.  And, it was a pain on rough surfaces and going up or down stairs.  YMMV.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:34:29 PM »
Cuz in my day, suitcases had a little metal and plastic handle, and you'd carry it for miles and miles at the airport terminal, until right as you got to the gate the handle broke and the sharp edge sliced off three of your fingers.  Then the clasps would pop open and all your clothes would fall out right into the bloody puddle.  And  that's the way it was, and we LIKED it. 

Seriously, I figured the wheels and handles take up room and add weight.

I like the backpack idea; I didn't know there were backpacks that open like a softsided suitcase.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 09:38:05 PM »
The wheels and handle are mostly high-impact composites and thin-walled tubing. They add, at most, a few ounces. Certainly not enough to offset the convenience they add. I wouldn't worry about it.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:31:56 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »
My carry-on is a North Face pack. Holds lots, easily mobile when you have to hump across a city or to the other side of a ridiculously huge airport. Any checked bag needs to have wheels, if I open the handle I can then stack 3 more bags on top and wheel everything. Oh wait, I'm not married anymore, I can go everywhere with one bag. :)
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 09:47:16 PM »
Go everywhere with one bag?!?  I hate you. I feel like a Sherpa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 12:48:33 AM »
What is this "carry-on" vs "checked" luggage of which you speak?  I make no such distinction when I travel!
Formerly sumpnz

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 01:05:16 AM »

...why isn't this a default smiley? :lol:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 01:16:29 AM »
What is this "carry-on" vs "checked" luggage of which you speak?  I make no such distinction when I travel!

If you're traveling with a firearm, I suggest you make the distinction.  :police:

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 01:21:20 AM »
If you're traveling with a firearm, I suggest you make the distinction.  :police:

Why would I put the firearm in my luggage?
Formerly sumpnz

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 07:40:25 AM »
Go everywhere with one bag?!?  I hate you. I feel like a Sherpa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah, you are blessed with 3 women in your life, therefore I do believe you probably need to hire another Sherpa to help you out.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 07:40:57 AM »
...why isn't this a default smiley? :lol:

Not a bad idea.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
Do they still allow the really long gym bag designed to fit through the carry on scanner and taken up an entire overhead storage space?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »
My "go to" luggage is still my now 35 year old sea bag.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 11:28:35 AM »
Not a bad idea.

Here's another that oughtta be in the standard set here: 
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »
It's called a gym bag. 

Yes, the wheeled suitcases are a little heavier than if they didn't have wheels, but why anyone would want to carry a suitcase around when you can wheel it is beyond me.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 12:21:44 PM »
Yes, the wheeled suitcases are a little heavier than if they didn't have wheels, but why anyone would want to carry a suitcase around when you can wheel it is beyond me.

To each their own, but I agree with the above. There was a time I thought wheeled suitcases were dorky, but in a career that involved a lot of traveling, I quickly learned the advantage of having one, especially when in a rush to make a connection on the other side of the airport. The key is buying good quality wheeled luggage. Some of the cheaper ones will be heavier and have a bulkier wheel and handle mechanism, but good ones are usually pretty streamlined.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
To each their own, but I agree with the above. There was a time I thought wheeled suitcases were dorky, but in a career that involved a lot of traveling, I quickly learned the advantage of having one, especially when in a rush to make a connection on the other side of the airport. The key is buying good quality wheeled luggage. Some of the cheaper ones will be heavier and have a bulkier wheel and handle mechanism, but good ones are usually pretty streamlined.

Yup.  I'm old enough that I remember having suitcases without wheels, and what a pain in the ass it was.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »
I ordered one of these; paid an extra $5 to get it here tomorrow:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G03S57Q

I would have rather had the regular version instead of the "junior", but that didn't qualify for Prime shipping.
If I roll/fold everything up tightly enough it ought to be big enough.  If not, I'll use a gym bag or duffel instead (or just wear all my clothes, and peel off a few layers on the plane)
"It's good, though..."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
I ordered one of these; paid an extra $5 to get it here tomorrow:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G03S57Q

I would have rather had the regular version instead of the "junior", but that didn't qualify for Prime shipping.
If I roll/fold everything up tightly enough it ought to be big enough.  If not, I'll use a gym bag or duffel instead (or just wear all my clothes, and peel off a few layers on the plane)

To the bumpy-grindy rhythm of Jimmy Forrest's "Night Train", no doubt. :O
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch