Author Topic: List Your "Walking Dead" Dumb Tactics  (Read 5522 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: List Your "Walking Dead" Dumb Tactics
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 02:32:03 PM »
Interesting, I would not have thought about that regarding the bones.

Makes sense.  Bones that are hundreds or thousands of years old get dug up and they're quite hard.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 03:48:25 PM »
Uhhh . . . until just recently, .22 rimfire has been in short supply these last few years, and that's WITHOUT a zombie apocalypse.

My peeve is the noise they make when on patrol - they KNOW zombies are attracted to sound, and they KNOW there are "non-zombie" bad guys out there . . . and yet they banter back and forth about irrelevant cr@p when they should be paying attention to what's around them. I think someone mentioned they're going around in "Condition White" . . . well, it's usually a noisy "Condition White." 

Just because it's in short supply doesn't mean that everyone who either has, or buys some, is shooting it up the second they get it. I bet you could, with searching, find a LOT of .22 ammo.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 03:51:30 PM »
Interesting, I would not have thought about that regarding the bones.

How many times have you seen a small animal rotting away in the wild? The bones don't rot.

I have a deer skull that I picked up years ago. It was dead on a friend's property. I let it rot out good and be worked over by critters before I grabbed the skull. It wasn't soft and mushy, it was hard as hell. I boiled it out in lye to get all the other stuff out of it (brains and the like, that smelled REALLY good...  [barf]) and then bleached it.

Hard as a rock.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 04:10:08 PM »
Yeah bones don't get mushy while everything else does. But, a spear will still do the job better than a pocket knife.

But in regards to things getting gooy there's a better, IMO, question than the bones getting soft. If the rest of them is rotting, why the hell isn't the brain and they just drop dead after a few weeks of decomp?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 04:46:11 PM »
The lack of body hair on the women is just wrong, in the zombie apocalypse there wouldn't be time to shave their legs or arm pits.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
How many times have you seen a small animal rotting away in the wild? The bones don't rot.

I just never thought about the "tough" part of the hardness. I was figuring hard and brittle would break easier. Though in the case of a zombie, I guess the bones aren't really drying out to that point given they're encased in ooze.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 06:49:02 PM »
The lack of body hair on the women is just wrong, in the zombie apocalypse there wouldn't be time to shave their legs or arm pits.

After they're dead, the hair doesn't grow anymore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 07:57:09 PM »

It is wrong, but I can live with it.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2015, 08:39:34 PM »
There's a YouTube channel called Zombie Go Boom that dows experiments with various weapons on simulated zombie heads...polymer skulls under a foam skin.  It's a guilty pleasure of mine.  Two takeaways from the channel are (1)  skulls aren't as easy to penetrate as on the show (which they comment about all the time) and (2) the weapons from the show aren't rwalistic, and aren't the best choices.

Next time you're bored, and surfing the web, watch a couple of episodes and enjoy some low intellect entertainment.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 10:17:44 PM »
What has been mentioned:

1.  Body "armor", doesn't have to Level III vests, but as mentioned Motorcycle Leathers or the like.  Maybe not all the time, but definitely if you are "going outside the wire."

2.  Everyone should have a Pike/Staff/Halbard.  Seriously, Closet Rods sharpened to a point, Broomsticks, Tool Handles, tree limbs, etc.  You don't even need to put a metal (or stone) point on it.  Just give it to a pre-teen/teenaged boy and tell them to "whittle".  All they make is sharpened sticks.  Seriously Thag (rest his Far Side soul) and Ugg figure out how to kill Wooly Mammoths with nothing but sharp sticks.

3.  Crossbows/Bows and Arrows.  Again, I'll point to Thag and Ugg.  Yes, the head is a small target, but with practice (and some instruction from Daryl) most folks could become proficient.  Handy when out Patrolling/Scavenging.

4.  Wandering around outside the wire in condition "Fabulous !!!"  It's not even White, they move around like they are the participants in an anything goes Gay Pride parade.   No Light and Noise discipline.  No Situational Awareness.  "Let's go into town and have some drinks at the local bar.  We don't need anyone to watch the door!!"    :facepalm: :facepalm:

5.  Rick as leader.  I would have headed out from this group a while back.   But, after having runs various orgs, I do find a lot of people are absolutely terrified to make even the smallest decisions, so a bunch of folks that are scared beyond reason I can see.  But he seriously sucks.  He doesn't seek input, advice, wisdom or guidance from anyone in the group (or those he meets).  He's probably the group's worst enemy when it comes to bringing in new members, as there is strength in numbers.  Yes, the show seems to be focused on "The Group" vs the rest of humanity with the Walkers thrown in just to make things worse.  But do you really think that should we get a Zom-Poc-A-Lips, that most folks aren't really going to try to work together to survive.  Yes, you be get some aholes like the Governor (but holy *expletive deleted*it, I would want as many military folks inside my wire as I could find)  But I would bet that most are looking to re-build and not destroy.  So I find those characters a bit of a stretch.

6. Organization.  No LP/OPs, no watch schedule, no planning, nothing.  Everything is done by the seat of the pants.  I can understand that at first, it's chaos, you're trying to survive and figure it out.  But, by this point you know what's what.  You know what the walkers are and how to attract/repel/destroy them.    You should have a strong defensive position.  You should have been able to scavenge lots of canned food, weapons and other needed supplies to live somewhat "comfortably".  You should be growing your own food, and supplementing with fresh meat from hunting/animal husbandry along with gathering "wild" fruits.
By now you should be going on the offensive to reduce their numbers in your area and/or getting them to leave your area.  Along with searching for other pockets of survivors.   There's none of this.   And yes, the quarry, once re-inforced, would have been a great spot to draw them in and reduce the zombie numbers.   (Leave a number in to draw more...Have a monthly zombie shoot where folks use long guns from the rim above the quarry to "reduce the herd".  Noise of shooting along with several zombies still making zombie noise draws more in.  Rinse, wring, repeat.)

7.  And yes if there were APS advisers the show would become quite boring.  Secure base (with work to continue to repair/improve defenses), guard mounts and duty rosters, everyone having roles and responsibilities to/for the group (cooking, growing hunting for food, standing guard, etc.) along with specialized groups that in addition to their everyday day duties will occasionally patrol outside the wire with zombie-proofed uniforms to obtain intelligence about zombie movements/locations, obtain/search for supplies and/or attempt to make contact with other groups of survivors.  With detailed debriefs upon their return.  Yep, pretty boring, pretty quick.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:15:46 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 07:19:20 AM »
After they're dead, the hair doesn't grow anymore.

I'm talking about the living ones.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 11:49:41 AM »
One thing I wondered about:  I saw various bits of episodes.  I recall they were in a prison or something and zombies were lined up on the fence trying to get in.  All it would take is a few people with spears of some sort to go along the fence and knock holes in heads.  A drill bit type spear as mentioned would work fine, but a shovel would work.  They might get tired, but over the course of several days, the numbers would be wittled down quite a bit.  Eventually, the area would be more secure.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 11:55:23 AM »
Yeah bones don't get mushy while everything else does. But, a spear will still do the job better than a pocket knife.

But in regards to things getting gooy there's a better, IMO, question than the bones getting soft. If the rest of them is rotting, why the hell isn't the brain and they just drop dead after a few weeks of decomp?
That is always part of the "magic" of zombie stories.  WWZ indicated it was some new type of gel based biology which is sort of BS when you start getting to details.  Resident Evil turned them into perpetual motion machines.  The rabies virus idea is probably better since it would mean they are technically alive, just animalistic.  Of course, that means they should be easier to kill and wounded ones should be either eaten by other zombies or die of infection.  If they were lined up on the fence, just stab them in the gut. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 12:12:38 PM »
Electric Fence
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 12:22:55 PM »
One thing I wondered about:  I saw various bits of episodes.  I recall they were in a prison or something and zombies were lined up on the fence trying to get in.  All it would take is a few people with spears of some sort to go along the fence and knock holes in heads.  A drill bit type spear as mentioned would work fine, but a shovel would work.  They might get tired, but over the course of several days, the numbers would be wittled down quite a bit.  Eventually, the area would be more secure.

They did have a "fence detail" that would go and play pokey pokey with the zombies.

A shovel wouldn't work because they were separated by a chain link fence.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 12:31:19 PM »
"Everyone is "infected" with whatever the agent that causes zombification, so I don't think zombigoo would  be bothersome."

Except... bites are, for whatever reason, fatal. Jim from season 1.

You'd think if a bite is fatal, a cut exposed to zombigoo would trigger the same reaction.

Yeah, I've also wondered about that.  The stars of the show do seem to get cuts and the like and they get splattered by goo constantly.

Kind of a plot hole.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 02:43:52 PM »
I can't say I understood at all the immediate crisis of the zombie horde.  Run up a fire escape and wait things out... go in a dumpster and take a nap. Go on the roof the RV ect.  If you've got a working radio and an entire community; the rescue could be worked out.  And the whole idea of NEEDING to transport the wounded RIGHT NOW.  Or... take them to the second floor of some building and lock the door; can't get that zombie horde crowd crush focus if its up some stairs. 

And ok, I can see there being no wheelchairs around (maybe), but rather than mostly carrying the wounded, how about an office chair or a shopping cart?  Moving the hobbled can cause fatigue very quick, waste of energy that could be spent killing zombies. 

And gun control... The guy that shot wildly and then ran off... they are slow moving.  If aiming isn't your thing, walk right on up and fire from closer.  As long as it hits the head the zombie is no longer a threat.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2015, 07:58:55 PM »
Yeah as far as the horde, I'd think that starting a building fire was a good sound idea.  Any house would burn nicely and there were a few around.  I'd set the fire outside town, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 08:52:17 PM »
Yeah as far as the horde, I'd think that starting a building fire was a good sound idea.  Any house would burn nicely and there were a few around.  I'd set the fire outside town, though.

I did laugh about how they went out to seek the most flammable building in town and found that it was already burned down.   
 :laugh:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »
I did laugh about how they went out to seek the most flammable building in town and found that it was already burned down.   
 :laugh:

Cars are flammable, too....seems a couple car fires would have been a good bet.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 09:11:42 PM »
Cars are flammable, too....seems a couple car fires would have been a good bet.

The upholstery and tires would probably create enough black smoke to compete with a building fire.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2015, 06:07:21 AM »
Didn't they have flare guns?

A flare punched into a car is going to turn it into a bonfire in short order.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2015, 07:51:22 AM »
Mtnbkr and I were discussing the deep issues of Walking Dead this weekend, and I mentioned this "bites kill, cuts slopped with zombie goo don't."

He posited an interesting theory...

Zombie mouths are, for whatever reason, hot spots, or as he said "sort of like hyena mouths." (You get bit by a hyena, and apparently infection is not possible, it's guaranteed.) Which means that the pathogens might be centralized in the mouth/head.

So maybe treating this zombie outbreak would be as simple as better dental care for the zombies?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
Mtnbkr and I were discussing the deep issues of Walking Dead this weekend, and I mentioned this "bites kill, cuts slopped with zombie goo don't."

Zombie mouths are, for whatever reason, hot spots, or as he said "sort of like hyena mouths." (You get bit by a hyena, and apparently infection is not possible, it's guaranteed.) Which means that the pathogens might be centralized in the mouth/head.

So maybe treating this zombie outbreak would be as simple as better dental care for the zombies?

I'll chew on that idea for awhile -- it has possibilities .... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »

I'm foreseeing a plot twist with some granola crunchers living in harmony with the zombies by forcibly brushing their teeth every day...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought