Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh's wedding  (Read 15822 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Rush Limbaugh's wedding
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2010, 11:52:10 PM »
Which means what?

Practically any politician who's even remotely right-wing has done more to combat statism than me. This doesn't mean they're immune to criticism.

It's like saying I shouldn't call Avatar a bad movie because I can't direct a film myself.

Criticize away.  Nobody said you shouldn't criticize.  It's the constant harping on the drug issue every time his name is mentioned.  It's the carping that he's not perfectly in agreement with So-and-so's libertarian/hyper-rationalist viewpoint and therefore a statist busybody.  That's what I'm objecting to, at least.

For the record, I disagree with him from time to time.  I'm on record here as opposing Operation Chaos.  (Though I must admit, it was high-larious.  :laugh: )
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2010, 07:17:30 AM »
Again: 
Anybody have a link to Rush going after drug users and/or supporting the WoD?

I catch maybe 1/2 hour of his show per week, so it could have easily slipped my notice.

At this point, since I have asked twice and no one has yet provided any such link, I would have to stick a fork in the "Rush is a hypocrite because he used drugs but supports the WoSD" deal.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2010, 08:42:38 AM »
Again: 

I catch maybe 1/2 hour of his show per week, so it could have easily slipped my notice.

At this point, since I have asked twice and no one has yet provided any such link, I would have to stick a fork in the "Rush is a hypocrite because he used drugs but supports the WoSD" deal.

I have been listening to the his podcasts for about 3 years now, I can't think of a single time he tried to "destroy the lives" of drug users.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 08:52:40 AM »

Here's your fork:

"And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up"

Rush Limbaugh show, Oct. 5, 1995
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 09:03:39 AM »
Source?

MicroBalrog

• friend

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

grampster

• friend
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 09:23:27 AM »
Why does it seem that what people say 10 or more years ago become a noose around their necks, to be judged by that rather than what they do in the present.  I have completely changed my mind about the War On Some Drugs.  I went from ignorance to strict enforcement to ambivilence to wanting the government to cease and desist with the boot on the neck of physicians and healers that prescribe certain substances to aleviate pain.  As for pot it should be decriminalized.  As for other recreational drugs, I'm sure they could have some benefit if brought into the light of day and seriously discussed in order to find the positive benefits from them.

Life is a series of mindsets that evolve through experience, knowledge, willful bad behavior, dumb mistakes and wisdom.  I get pretty tired of those who accuse others of being hypocrites when what they should do is look in a mirror.  My years have shown me that those who rail against others usually are guilty of the same flaws.  I have found that certainly includes myself.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 10:37:55 AM »
Why does it seem that what people say 10 or more years ago become a noose around their necks, to be judged by that rather than what they do in the present.  I have completely changed my mind about the War On Some Drugs.  I went from ignorance to strict enforcement to ambivilence to wanting the government to cease and desist with the boot on the neck of physicians and healers that prescribe certain substances to aleviate pain.  As for pot it should be decriminalized.  As for other recreational drugs, I'm sure they could have some benefit if brought into the light of day and seriously discussed in order to find the positive benefits from them.

Life is a series of mindsets that evolve through experience, knowledge, willful bad behavior, dumb mistakes and wisdom.  I get pretty tired of those who accuse others of being hypocrites when what they should do is look in a mirror.  My years have shown me that those who rail against others usually are guilty of the same flaws.  I have found that certainly includes myself.

Well said.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »
Again: 

I heard him call for harsher penalties a few years back when I was listening regularly. Which is why I was asking if he still held that position.

Fisty: maybe people feel the need to point it out because of the kneejerk response it illicits. "He's a great man, he's done more for our country than you, you couldn't do what he does, you're just jealous etc etc"
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »
Here's your fork:

"And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up"

That is something, no doubt, and he ought to own up to it or repudiate it.  Especially WRT his own use.

OTOH, is there anything fresher than 15 years old?  My own views on a few issues have changed over 15 years.

Since both sources, from 2006, cite the same 1995 quote, I suspect that there was nothing nearly as juicy from 1995-2006.  Age does not disqualify one's words from being used, but a pattern of such positions over time and closer in time to the present would make a stronger case.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2010, 01:22:03 PM »
I think it says a lot about how much of a positive impact Rush has had that this one issues is the only thing people can turn to when trying to insult him over a few decades.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »
Both Elton John and Rush Limbaugh agree on the issue of gay marriage, FWIW.

Well, I'll be damned.  Elton John hates gays!   >:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »
Being a successful entertainer is serving the country?

Two words:

Bob Hope
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2010, 05:07:31 PM »
Here's your fork:

=D  This is the best you've got?  Seriously?  He said fifteen years ago that drug laws ought to be enforced like any other law, and this is the proof that he's calling for "far harsher" sentences, or trying to destroy people's lives?  And you don't even have context for it?  

Nice try.  We need a point and giggle smiley.  

I heard him call for harsher penalties a few years back when I was listening regularly. Which is why I was asking if he still held that position.

Fisty: maybe people feel the need to point it out because of the kneejerk response it illicits. "He's a great man, he's done more for our country than you, you couldn't do what he does, you're just jealous etc etc"

Well, well, the truth is now a knee-jerk response.   ???

But if he really did call for harsher sentencing, I'll take your word for it.  I know it's hard to cite sources for talk radio, so I accept that.  Still, harsher penalties for dealing crack is not the same as harsher sentences for doctor shopping.  And since the state had no evidence against Limbaugh, we'll never know if he was a hypocrite.  He didn't have to face the penalties, any more than any other drug offender who's acquitted. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:11:59 PM by Fistful »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2010, 05:20:57 PM »
grin  This is the best you've got?  Seriously?  He said fifteen years ago that drug laws ought to be enforced like any other law, and this is the proof that he's calling for "far harsher" sentences, or trying to destroy people's lives?  And you don't even have context for it? 

And you don't see where this is trying to destroy people's lives?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2010, 05:32:25 PM »
Here's your fork:

That could mean anything. An "enforce the laws we already have" argument. An argument against the common leftist tactic of "It's the seriousness of the charge, and not the seriousness of the evidence." It could mean he was advocating something hypocritical in the wake of his own drug problem.

However, he has a LONG history of being intentionally taken out of context.

I'd need to see more.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
So pointing out a negative truth about Limbaugh is bad, but replying to any criticism of him with the same accusatory "you aren't worthy to speak of him" crap is a-ok? Good to know...

For the record, I just dislike fanbois, regardless of what they are enamored with.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2010, 10:27:20 PM »
fanbois - those whose opinion of a particular subject is more positive than your own.

So pointing out a negative truth about Limbaugh is bad, but replying to any criticism of him with the same accusatory "you aren't worthy to speak of him" crap is a-ok? Good to know...

Where is your negative truth, and who said you weren't worthy to speak of him?  If you'd like to explain or defend your position, you may begin at any time.

Edit:  Oh, wait, by negative truth, you mean the fact that he was addicted to pain killer?  Nothing wrong with pointing it out, unless you do it for no reason other than to (speciously) discredit someone who is on our side in a very grave struggle for our survival as a nation of free people.  I think someone did that recently...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:32:46 PM by Fistful »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2010, 10:47:25 PM »
IMHO...the fact that your marriage is starting with entertainment provided by one of the world's foremost homosexual entertainers does not engender much faith in the marriage's sustainability....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:30 PM »
IMHO...the fact that your marriage is starting with entertainment provided by one of the world's foremost homosexual entertainers does not engender much faith in the marriage's sustainability....

It could be that his bride is a big Elton John fan, or Rush may be.

My wife and I had a mediocre polka band for our wedding reception, but we survived. I never even thought of invading Poland, either. ;)

If I had to base my entertainment choices on politics, religion or sexuality, I'd be stuck with Bruce Willis and Ted Nugent.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2010, 11:19:51 PM »
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_061510/content/01125106.guest.html
"So we started putting it all together, and Kathryn's first request, her first hope, was to have Elton John.
As you know there was a health incident, a medical emergency for me -- and it amazes me that that is still being reported as a heart attack even though I, with the doctor standing next to me, conducted a press conference with pulled all the reporters off of Obama.  He was there at the same time.  And I said, it was not a heart attack.  The doctor said wasn't a heart attack; we don't know what it was.  But there's no arterial damage, no coronary disease. There's no blockage. I was given an angiogram. It was actually good, a giant picture of health.  But while we were there we were staying at the Kahala Hotel on Oahu, and when we had checked in the general manager, Thomas Pauly, had told us that Elton John was in the suite right above us.  We still hadn't resolved this, so I went out on our little patio deck 'cause his was right above, and I started singing Elton John songs standing there, hoping he would hear. 

I'm singing, "Little Jeannieeee," and whatever Elton John songs I could think of, and didn't hear a word.  Then the medical emergency happens. I got back from the hospital after a couple-three days there, and the general manager of the Kahala, Thomas Pauly says, "Elton John was asking about you," and I said, "Was he hoping I didn't survive?"  "No, no, no. He wanted to know if you were okay because he knew you were staying here."  So a lightbulb went off, and I said, "Kathryn, write him a note. Write him a note and get Thomas Pauly to deliver it and say whatever you want," and she did.  So she puts this note together explaining how much we both admire his music, his career, his talent, his achievements. She puts in two or three paragraphs about me that she wanted him to know that are unlike the media portrayal. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2010, 11:23:23 PM »

My wife and I had a mediocre polka band for our wedding reception, but we survived. I never even thought of invading Poland, either. ;)

Of course not......then you would have to occupy a country full of mediocre polka bands...  :facepalm:

If I had to base my entertainment choices on politics, religion or sexuality, I'd be stuck with Bruce Willis and Ted Nugent.

...and the problem would be?....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
Insults, ad hom, and the use of the word sustainability...  >:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”