Author Topic: Bullet swaging  (Read 9623 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Bullet swaging
« on: February 25, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »
I doubt this ever gets past the "thought exercise" stage, but here goes.  I'm trying to figure out how to make a set of .224 bullet swaging dies on the cheap from 7/8-14 grade 5 (or grade 8) bolts, or Lee bullet sizing dies.  These would be for reloading .223 or 5.56 ammo for a carbine.  I do not really have a machine shop, but I do have a grinder, a dremel tool, and a cheap drill press.  And time.

The Lee .224 bullet sizing die should work OK for derimming .22LR's to make jackets with very little modification.

[brainstorming mode]

Now, how to make the cores precisely enough (I don't suppose they could be cast directly into the jackets with a nose-pour mold), and how to make a pointing die.  A lap could be made from a .224 FMJ bullet and clover compound to finish the pointing die after it was roughed-in somehow...

Half-jacket bullets might could be made from .22 Shorts.  That might be the best solution; the cores and the ogives could be cast into the jackets, then trued with a pointing die.  It done correctly, the entire bearing surface would be brass...

Is this a ridiculous idea, or does it have any merit at all? :)  I like the idea of threading the top of a .224 Lee sizing die and making an insert from an annealed, ground, and rehardened 1/4" or 5/16" bolt.  (how to get the bullet out without unscrewing the top every time...) The same die could then be used for derimming and drawing jackets, and pointing the bullets.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:39:33 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Bullet swaging
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
I read an article about that within the last few years. The article was a good how-to of the very idea you have.

Sorry, I don't remember the magazine. I may have read it on the internet.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:41:04 PM »
Try this:  http://www.shootingtimes.com/2007/07/20/squeezing-by-the-223-shortage/

There were many results from a search using "making .223 bullets from .22 cases."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 04:52:10 PM »
I know Corbin makes 7/8-14" swaging dies.  They cost a fortune.  Bullet swaging is pretty tough on a reloading press, although anything under about 6mm would require a lot less force than trying to swage pistol bullets.

There's a youtube video that shows someone using a reasonably-priced 4-die set; I think the company that makes them is called Edge, and they look really good.  But there's a thread or two on the cast boolits forum that suggests the guy that sells them is a crook.  The profit margin is a lot higher just taking people's money giving excuses for delays and then never shipping the product (who knew?) --like National Bullet Co started doing when they got behind.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »
Sounds like an idea that would be fun to play with. I have drawings for a full swage set here but I've never gotten around to starting on it.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:39:08 PM »
Lead wire cores.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:11:10 PM »
Looks like tomorrow is a snow day. Maybe I'll play with some stuff in the shop so we can swap some ideas.

jim

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 11:43:59 PM »
Lead wire cores.

Yes.

And even neater, I've seen some people short the lead wire a bit, then use an Airsoft BB, and it makes a dandy ballistic tip. There was an FFL/gunsmith over on Arfcom showing that off, I was impressed with how well it worked.
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:14:35 AM »
Interesting.

Do you have some dimensioned prints of the parts?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:42:55 AM »
I have 5 gallons of .40 brass and no .40. I want to anneal them and turn them into .45 fmjs. Case head forward if they would feed.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 08:17:26 AM »
I have 5 gallons of .40 brass and no .40. I want to anneal them and turn them into .45 fmjs. Case head forward if they would feed.  =D
I've often thought that .223 cases with the rim turned off and shortened a bit could make passable jackets for .375 H&H bullets . . . but of course cartridge brass isn't an ideal jacket material.

Still . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »
Why don't we
1. Find an APS member who is technically skilled and has free time
2. Pitch in and get a high end Corbin machine
3. Pay said member a nominal surcharge to make bullets

That way we create a small business, said member gets a new side job, and those that pitched in get surcharge free bullets (up to the amount pitched in) for a cost far lower than retail and we have a steady supply?

I'd buy a machine right now, but I have ZERO time.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:10:32 PM »
I'd go in on that.  Hell, I'd even set up for that, as long as I could modify the press with a hydraulic cylinder on the arm...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 07:24:45 PM »
I'd go in on that.  Hell, I'd even set up for that, as long as I could modify the press with a hydraulic cylinder on the arm...

No need, I was thinking:
http://www.corbins.com/csp-1h.htm

Hydraulics built in.

I was thinking it wouldn't be that hard to capitalize such a business for someone that wants to do it as a real business, the problem is, you need someone unemployed, smart, and young, who doesn't get bored running a machine all day (but smart enough to make the business work)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 08:55:45 PM »
We do not suggest that most handloaders can or should become involved with explosives, tracers, or other chemical special effects, but if you are already involved and know what you are doing, this press can provide an additional margin of safety to your work. When the ram goes up and the material is compressed, you have the ability to be behind a barricade with the controls in your hand.

Cool!
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 11:41:18 PM »
The snow day became a couple of days with no power. Kind of hard to play with brass and lead in the dark. Maybe I'll be caught up by this weekend.

jim

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 12:16:58 AM »
Hell, I'd do it.

Murphy's Law would dictate that I'd get a full-time job the minute the stuff arrived and I'd set it up however. Win/win for me, but I don't think that's what Birdman has in mind.  =)
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »
Hell, I'd do it.

Murphy's Law would dictate that I'd get a full-time job the minute the stuff arrived and I'd set it up however. Win/win for me, but I don't think that's what Birdman has in mind.  =)

Let me run some numbers :)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 04:36:11 AM »
I'd be interested in being the minion too if this ever got off the ground. I have the outbuilding space and am trying to get geared up for sidework of other stripes already.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 12:36:16 AM »
Anyone get a chance to play with this yet?

I was turning off the computer in the garage when I spied a piece of steel that looked perfect for pushing cases into a Lee sizer. I annealed a couple of cases real quick and rubbed them with some Lee case sizing lube. They went through as easy as the larger lead pistol boolits do.

Now it's on to cores and a forming die.

jim