Author Topic: What a load of crap!Gas rant inside.  (Read 12219 times)

onions!

What a load of crap!Gas rant inside.
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2005, 04:29:53 AM »
Rabbi?On tuesday the cost of unleaded regular went up $.21/gallon.That's cost.That's from the J&H Oil rep.He was taking our bulk oil order & BSing.J&H oil is one of the companies that supplies most of the fuel in this area.The retail price then went up $.30.Okey Dokey.The cost of gas hasn't increased,here,since then.So what does the jump from $2.99 to $3.49/gal have to do w/supply(it's everywhere up here) & demand(well,we all need it sooner or later but no more than last week)?

I think that Grampster has the best idea.Smiley

About my Mother?Who do you think taught me to read & write?

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2005, 04:37:41 AM »
At least you edited out the offensive verbiage. That's something anyway.

If you dont want to pay $3.49 then go a mile down the road to where they are still selling it for 2.99.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

onions!

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2005, 04:43:35 AM »
jefnvk?What would you have to say if Michigan Tech raised next semesters tuition 30%.For no reason other than the dean wanted a new Porsche?Mi Tech used to have a tuition aboit half of U of M & 2/3ish that of STATE.What if it went up?Oh yeah,housing too.Another 30%.

Then,in february,the price dropped to just above where it was.For no reason.Would you have paid the $$$ to stay in school quietly?Or would you be speculating about the schools intentions?

Could this happen @ Tech?Probably not.Do you understand what I'm getting at though?

onions!

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2005, 04:46:28 AM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
At least you edited out the offensive verbiage. That's something anyway.

If you dont want to pay $3.49 then go a mile down the road to where they are still selling it for 2.99.
I don't consider bullshit terribly offensive.I suggest that if you don't want to be offended personally that you shouldn't offend.

As I posted earlier,the price has settled(mostly) @ about $3.198/gal.

Thankfully it's a long way to Atlanta.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2005, 06:57:22 AM »
What would you have to say if Michigan Tech raised next semesters tuition 30%
They went up something like 10%, and no one has a reason.  Looking at my bill, I am paying for a lot of crap that I don't want or need.  BUT, knowing that, I still choose to pay to come here, and don't complain about it.

Just like gas.  I would much rather have it back at $.80/gallon like the summer or two before I started driving.  But, either I want the gas, or I don't.  My solution?  I am driving in fifth gear a whole lot more, and being much more choosy on side trips and long distance driving.

And actually, it costs more now to go here than State, and getting close to U of M.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2005, 06:39:28 PM »
No comment, the amount of bad economics being thrown around is making my head spin.

"price gouging" is such hogwash...

atek3

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2005, 09:15:44 PM »
41 Mag,

Would you prefer gas cheap but all sold out or expensive and available?  The price is reacting to demand, that's all, it it takes these high prices for people to conserve and/or for production to be increased, and that will cause prices to go down (relative to demand, of course).

If you want less expensive gas there are things that can be done to make that happen but it actually requires less action by the govt instead of more.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2005, 10:00:27 PM »
It is really pointless for me to go on, until:

1) Someone shows me some hard figures on how much costs and profits are at each step of the process
2) Someone shows me what normal figures would be
3) Defines 'gouging' past 'big oil making money'
4) Drop emotions from arguments. Sorry it is going to cut into shooting, but if you can't afford to fill up the car, not getting to the range every week is the least of your concerns.
5) Using laws of economics, shows how the change in price was not due to the lack of supply in the future, and simply due to 'gouging' by whatever definition they came up with

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2005, 01:40:03 AM »
Along these lines--I have been looking for 2 locking gas caps for my truck and my wife's truck.  No luck, online or here in town.  Was in Advance Auto Parts yesterday looking and I told the counter guy they may want to stock up and a light bulb went off over his head.  He hadn't put 2 & 2 together as to why they had been selling out of gas caps.  Then goes on to say that he has also been wondering why so many more people have been in asking for syphon pumps!!!  So, there, goes to show you, we aren't all crazy and the criminal mind can be prepared too.

Greg

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2005, 04:30:57 AM »
TarpleyG, one of my first fears when gas hit $3 was folks stealing gas.  While we're out of town this weekend, I parked my commuter car in the garage so it wouldn't be vulnerable.  

BTW, my dad said back in the 70s during the gas crisis, people tried locking gas caps, but the serious thieves just slid underneath the car and punched holes in the gas tank.  

Chris

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2005, 07:37:13 AM »
Don't the newer cars have screeen sto prevent siphoning?

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2005, 08:41:49 AM »
Quote from: jefnvk
Don't the newer cars have screeen sto prevent siphoning?
I learned this the hard way when i tried to mow the lawn after i bought my first "modern" car. :-(

TaxPhd

• friend
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2005, 09:26:28 AM »
For those of you who believe that gouging exists, why aren't the gougers/profiteers charging $25/gal. for gas?  Could it be because competition is keeping the price at the market determined level of around $3/gal.?

Scott
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2005, 09:30:52 AM »
Quote from: atek3
No comment, the amount of bad economics being thrown around is making my head spin.
atek3
Haha! cheesy

Paddy

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2005, 09:40:01 AM »
Here's a little blurb for you 'free marketers':
Chris-the-Gas-Trader says the current $3-plus a gallon price is about a dime lower -- yes, lower -- than what they should be charging: ``Those stations are not making a profit right now. They are going bust.'' Some experts say prices may rise another 30 cents.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/columnists/12565198.htm

So they're actually in business to lose money, and this is the 'free market' at work?  Yeah, uh-huh, right.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2005, 09:50:02 AM »
You got the login info, or can you post the entire article?

Paddy

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2005, 10:13:03 AM »
Sorry.  I got to if from googlenews and it didn't require a login

Effects of Gulf region gas woes surprise some local motorists

By Gary Richards

Mercury News Staff Columnist

Q For years we have been told that gasoline costs more in California because we use a special formulation made almost exclusively in-state. So, if we have a special blend not used elsewhere, why should we be affected by the shortage of gas refined out of the Gulf of Mexico?

John Michael O'Connor

A Because the oil market is a global market. When supplies of crude oil delivered worldwide dwindle, the cost can soar everywhere -- to more than $70 a barrel last week. California depends heavily on outside sources, last year importing nearly 60 percent of its oil from Alaska and foreign countries. Until the recent run-up in prices, the price of crude oil had increased 75 cents per gallon, while prices at the pump had risen 79 cents since Jan. 1. Our special blend is a big factor in the price we pay, but not the only factor.

Q For the first time in a long time, I hear California's average gas prices may be lower than most other states on the East Coast. Is this true?

P.R.
Santa Cruz

A It's the Midwest states reeling the most. As of Friday, self-serve unleaded was selling for $2.95 a gallon in California, lower than in Michigan ($3.13), Indiana ($3.06), Illinois ($3.01), Wisconsin ($2.99) and Nebraska ($2.97). The national average, according to the AAA, reached $2.87 on Friday, 17 cents higher than the day before. California's average of $2.95 is 13 cents under the state's inflation-adjusted high of $3.08 in 1981.

Q According to the media, California does not import, distribute or refine oil from the Gulf Coast area. Yet, our prices began to zoom and continue to do so since Hurricane Katrina. What excuse are refineries giving this time? Price gouging is my answer.

Marcia Fariss

A Prices began to rise here before Katrina's fury was felt because of refinery problems in Rodeo and Martinez. In addition, some ships carrying crude oil to California were diverted to the Gulf of Mexico so gas supplies there can be replenished.

Q I noticed that gas at brand-name stations, mostly 76, is cheaper than the discounters, like Rotten Robbie, Beacon, at least in Santa Cruz. . . . Why was the Chevron station on Saratoga Avenue selling gas for six cents less than the Rotten Robbie a block away? . . . Gas at my Shell station on Capitol Expressway is cheaper than the Gas & Shop you wrote about recently. I don't think I've ever seen that. Why is this?

Steve C. and many more

A Most discount stations buy their gas from the major refiners like Shell and Chevron. When supplies get tight or there are fears they will get tight, refiners often cut sales to the independents, and that drives up prices at places like Rotten Robbie and mom and pop stores. Chris-the-Gas-Trader says the current $3-plus a gallon price is about a dime lower -- yes, lower -- than what they should be charging: ``Those stations are not making a profit right now. They are going bust.'' Some experts say prices may rise another 30 cents.

Q I'm disappointed that prices are rising, but I cannot fathom this sense of entitlement shared by many when it comes to cheap gas and the outrage at high prices. The problem isn't a hurricane, increasing Third World demand or greedy oil companies. It's the public's unrealistic expectation that gas will be inexpensive and unlimited for the rest of time. There's increasing demand and limited supply and a fragile delivery system. Only the willfully naive would not have seen that a day of reckoning was bound to arrive someday. If you are mad, get mad at the person who sold you on the notion that cheap gas would be plentiful forever. Then get mad at yourself for being gullible enough to believe it.

David Wood
Menlo Park

A You speak with wisdom. . . .

Q To ease the demand for gas during the current crises, why don't people work from home one day a week for three months? That should reduce demand by 20 percent for those who commute five days a week. Can you publicize this and see if it gets any traction?

Jim Oravec

A Anyone heeding Jim's advice or have other suggestions on how to cut back on driving?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact Gary Richards at mrroadshow@mercurynews .com or (408) 920-5335. Please leave a daytime phone number.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2005, 12:26:36 PM »
To ease the demand for gas during the current crises, why don't people work from home one day a week for three months? That should reduce demand by 20 percent for those who commute five days a week. Can you publicize this and see if it gets any traction?
Neat idea but, does he think everyone can work from home?
I do not know anyone at all who could work from home.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2005, 07:33:29 AM »
OK, so now gas prices are going down.
ALl those who were griping, could you please explain why the gas they have in the ground already is now cheaper than what it was 2 days ago?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2005, 08:06:23 AM »
So they're actually in business to lose money, and this is the 'free market' at work?  Yeah, uh-huh, right.
Actually, it said what they were charging was about a dime lower than they should be charging. Not, a dime lower than what they are paying for the gas.
So what I think he is saying is that they are basically breaking even on the gas, not making any money.
I know a woman who owns an independent gas station and convenience store. She says only makes a couple cents a gallon (she has no reason to lie to me) during good times, in order to stay competitive with the large chains. The only way she makes money is through the sale of food, snacks, etc. The gas is what brings them in.
If she charges $.10 a gallon more than the others, they will go elsewhere to buy there gas and will buy their convenience items somewhere else too.
Sometimes she actually has to sell the gas at a loss and hope to make it up with the convenience sales.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Paddy

« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2005, 08:40:54 AM »
OK, so now gas prices are going down.
ALl those who were griping, could you please explain why the gas they have in the ground already is now cheaper than what it was 2 days ago?
I'll try. uhhhh.....lessee......it's an artificially low price that offsets the earlier artificially high price?

or maybe.....

they don't have to pay as much for the re-supply?  So, the current price is based on what the cost of goods will be in the future, not the cost of goods for the current sales?  Kind of like contractors who are always chasing a dollar and have to sell a job and get a deposit in order to pay for materials from the last job?