Author Topic: What a switch!  (Read 14082 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
What a switch!
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
I drove into Billings yesterday and my heavy flannel shirt was too much.  It was sixty degrees yesterday.  I get back and it is still 60, but with a 30 mph wind.  Wake up today it is 12 degrees and now it is snowing.  The weather is sure screwy around these parts.

I hooked up the propane heater I brought back with me in September. (Don't bother with the lectures on the dangers of propane heat, I had more than enough with Irwin to last me a good long while. :facepalm:)  I have the tank out front of the 5th wheel and the line run through the back of the wall below the bedroom.  What a difference it makes.  The two electric heaters, one 900w and the other 1500w ran almost continuously trying to keep it tolerable in here.  I have a fan above the propane heater to move the heat the length of the 5th wheel (26 feet) and may have to take off my flannel shirt it is so toasty in here.

The temp showing on the indoor thermometer is lower than what the electric heat produced, and yet it feels far warmer. ;)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: What a switch!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
Don't bother with the lectures on the dangers of propane heat, I had more than enough with Irwin to last me a good long while.   

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless.

(There, no lecture.  Just a simple statement of fact.  =D )

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
I expected something out of someone, but not you Brad.  Do all of you live where no one uses propane heat?  I have never run into as many people afraid of propane as the bunch on here. ???

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »
Why not stop by the nearest hardwear store and get a CO detector and let everybody stop worrying about you.  They have batterty-powered ones.

Be sure to button the back flap at night.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »
is a camper, prolly leaks like a sieve. :angel:

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »
Why not stop by the nearest hardwear store and get a CO detector and let everybody stop worrying about you.  They have batterty-powered ones.
This.

Nothing wrong with a properly working propane heater. But then, there's nothing wrong with any method of heating that involves combustion to produce the heat. Still a good idea to be sure.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »
I expected something out of someone, but not you Brad.  Do all of you live where no one uses propane heat?  I have never run into as many people afraid of propane as the bunch on here. ???

I have no problem with externally vented combustion heaters.... but internally vented, with no provision to detect CO buildup or O2 depletion?    :'(

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:45:21 PM »

I think yor pullin'-yer-chain-o-meter done broke. =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »
The weather is sure screwy around these parts.

Yeah, it's been unseasonably warm.

Last year we had a foot plus of snow and below zero the first week of October.

When a CCW front (low pressure), the wind will blow from the SW for a day or so, bringing in warm air before the cold front and NW winds arrive.  Basic meteorology.  We had the same thing down in Colorado.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 06:04:01 PM »
Yeah, it's been unseasonably warm.

Last year we had a foot plus of snow and below zero the first week of October.
Why do all the good states have to be so damn cold?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 06:36:39 PM »
Colorado has sixteen seasons.

In random order.

I used an old room propane heater pulled from the old farmhouse in my shop foir years and it didn't aff  affe-  a- affect me a- a- at all.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »
Propane?  You should see some of the places I've used a kerosene heater.  At about -40F  CO poisoning starts to look attractive.

That said:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg4/R-202433876/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

and

Store Finder

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 07:09:30 PM »
You know what the difference between natural gas and propane is? Propane is heavier than natural gas. So natural gas will rise when leaking into a confined space and propane will sink to the floor. Therefore, when you walk into the room and flick on the light the natural gas will blow you down and the propane will blow you up;)

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
C0 2 detector in place, smoke alarm in place, window cracked open for fresh combustion air, and the unit has an oxygen depletion sensor built in.  When you wake up freezing, you know it worked.  If you don't, it didn't. Simple as that.  We all go sometime.

PS Brad, sometimes the chain has been yanked too often and what it is attached to is quite sore! ;/

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »
i was gonna ask you too >:D  its cause we'd miss you if you screwed up. 
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »
Colorado has sixteen seasons.

In random order.

And that's just in one day.  :lol:

They used to say that the sun could go behind a cloud and a man would freeze to death before he could put his coat on.  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 08:05:36 PM »
It's supposed to be ten below next Tuesday night  :cool:

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »
It's supposed to be ten below next Tuesday night  :cool:

Ever noticed TP is always there with a comforting thought. :facepalm:

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »
Why do all the good states have to be so damn cold?
what else did you think was keeping the ninnies out? >:D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »

Ever noticed TP is always there with a comforting thought. :facepalm:

Just think how warm twenty above will feel afterwards  =)

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »
Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless.

disolves instantly in liquid, and is among the more deadly poisons known to man.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 11:00:10 PM »
disolves instantly in liquid, and is among the more deadly poisons known to man.

Rates right up there with cyanide, rat poison, and the smog in LA.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 08:27:05 AM »
Whenever we were steaming far out off the west coast we cold always tell when were were getting close to land again. By the yellow haze on the horizon. Does anyone know of all this greenspeak has led to any improvement in that? AFAIK it was the dirtier 1970s cars burning leaded gas causing most of the problem at the time. Mine included.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »

You're from Australia, aren't you? ;)

erictank

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »
You're from Australia, aren't you? ;)

"A plathe peopled entirely by criminalth!"