Author Topic: What a switch!  (Read 14084 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: What a switch!
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless.

That's why I always season mine with a little salt and pepper.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 03:54:15 PM »
"A plathe peopled entirely by criminalth!"

Incontheevable!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 05:32:58 PM »
Incontheevable!

Brad

You keep saying that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 10:34:50 PM »
You're from Australia, aren't you? ;)

No, but I did live in New Zealand for a year. 

Very different from Australia, of couse, even they are only a 3 hour 737 ride apart.  Rather than a penal colony, NZ was settled by a mixture of farmers, wealthy elites, and middle class types.
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »
No, but I did live in New Zealand for a year

Anyone want a beer?

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

erictank

• friends
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 02:42:33 AM »
You keep saying using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

FTFY.  For shame... =D

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 08:18:07 AM »
I have no problem with externally vented combustion heaters.... but internally vented, with no provision to detect CO buildup or O2 depletion?    :'(

what he said^^^

not only the short term issues with co2,  but an unvented gas heater leads to possible moisture issues.  not as real a problem out west, but i have seen big problems in ny where using unvented heaters, as the only heat source, lead to MAJOR mold problems.   keep an eye on the amount of condensation on your windows.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »
The OSHA 8 hour exposure limit for CO is 25 ppm.  It becomes deadly above 1000 ppm.  The plant I work at makes CO and the concentrations in the piping are enough to kill you if big enough leak occurred.  We wear CO and O2 meters in the plant. 

My natural gas heater at home is in the attic so I guess that is less prone to issues like that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »
condensation on your windows

Are you kidding ???   ;/

There is no condensation on the windows, either in his trailer or our house.

It's more like a half inch of ice  :P

Ever seen Dr. Zhivago ...?  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »
Are you kidding ???   ;/

There is no condensation on the windows, either in his trailer or our house.

It's more like a half inch of ice  :P

Ever seen Dr. Zhivago ...?  :lol:

What he said.  In addition to that add, Ice on the walls, cold air coming in through every cupboard and window and door frame, A shower floor so cold, water freezes as it hits, wearing two pair of socks to bed and begging the dogs to come sleep on the bed instead of chasing them off.

When I went over to water and feed the horses this morning they had on jogging suits, ear muffs, big thick boots and were jogging so steadily they had worn a track in the corral.. ;/

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »
Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless.
Very True.

The real question is: What is the color and shape of the flame?  A blue,well shaped flame is the correct color and shape that either propane or natural gas flame should be.  A yellow flame is not burning clean and is giving off some undesirable exhaust.  The more yellow the flame the more dangerouse it is.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 05:57:13 PM »
When I went over to water and feed the horses this morning they had on jogging suits, ear muffs, big thick boots and were jogging so steadily they had worn a track in the corral.. ;/

A horse is a horse of course, of course... =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »

I'd pay to see the horses manage the zippers....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »
A horse is a horse of course, of course... =D

Brad

that is of course unless the horse is the talking Mr Red!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »
that is of course unless the horse is the talking Mr Red!

=D

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 07:47:33 PM »
C0 2 detector in place,

Well crap. Despite your obvious awareness of the dangers and advantages, I must ask: "Do you have a CO detector as well?"

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 08:14:02 PM »
Well crap. Despite your obvious awareness of the dangers and advantages, I must ask: "Do you have a CO detector as well?"

TC

Yup, the old fat fingers slipped again!  What bothers me the most is that the cold coming through the wall keeps the heater on almost full time.  At this rate, I may have to stay all winter because my pension won't be enough to buy gas for the truck to get me home.  BRRRRRR!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 10:16:04 PM »
the cold coming through the wall

Well, technically from a thermodynamic standpoint the heat is going out through the wall.  :lol:

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »
Well, technically from a thermodynamic standpoint the heat is going out through the wall.  :lol:

If that were correct, why do I have ice on the inside of the walls, ice and frost on all of the metal window and door frames.  Heat going out through the walls would warm the walls and there might be condensation present, but not ice.  In order for ice and frost to be present on the inside, enough cold at or below 32 degrees must be penetrating through the walls, door frame, and window frames for warm air (although just barely) to freeze solid on the inside. ???

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Well, I think it's sorta like driving a car and watching the telephone poles "go by"  ;)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
I fail to see any rampant "fear" of propane or other gaseous heating methods.

I do, however, see a number of rightfully prudent individuals recommending caution when using such devices.

It's a pity that some mistake prudence for fear.

Pretty much every year the Washington Post or other local newspapers carry one or more stories about how residents were sickened or killed by either improperly using a gas heating device, or by a device that was malfunctioning, and often mentioning that no CO alarm was present in the home.

I guess anyone recommending that they purchase such a device would have been fear mongering.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
If that were correct, why do I have ice on the inside of the walls, ice and frost on all of the metal window and door frames.  Heat going out through the walls would warm the walls and there might be condensation present, but not ice.  In order for ice and frost to be present on the inside, enough cold at or below 32 degrees must be penetrating through the walls, door frame, and window frames for warm air (although just barely) to freeze solid on the inside. ???

There is no such thing as cold.

Cold is how we describe the absence of heat.

Heat always escapes to where there is less heat.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 10:22:47 PM »
Pretty much every year the Washington Post or other local newspapers carry one or more stories about how residents were sickened or killed by either improperly using a gas heating device, or by a device that was malfunctioning, and often mentioning that no CO alarm was present in the home.
I do not worry about CO2 in my house, only because the furnace and water heater is in their own ventilated equipment room. 
If I had an unvented heater or something that could vent into the living quarters, I definately would have a CO2 alarm.  I worked too many years with household gas appliances,, natural gas and propane, to not be aware of where the dangers may be.

If you can smell fumes from a gas fired heat source, check it out and see why you can smell it, and correct the problem.  I know CO2 is odorless but usually there are other gases being released at the same time that you can smell.

Keep warm, keep healthy, and Happy Thanksgiving.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2010, 12:23:39 AM »
"I worked too many years with household gas appliances,, natural gas and propane, to not be aware of where the dangers may be."

Did you learn about the differences between CO and CO2?

And which one is more dangerous?

"I wondered if that would bring you out of the woods.  Miss you"

I can sense the retardery...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2010, 12:57:39 AM »
Did you learn about the differences between CO and CO2?
Oh yes.  CO is Carbon MONOXIDE, a deadly, odorless, gas.

CO2 is Carbon Dioxide, a so called GH gas that plants use for food and expell Oxygen.

I was not thinking as I wrote.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 01:01:23 AM by Desertdog »