Author Topic: What a Crappy Way to Wake Up From a Coma  (Read 1157 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What a Crappy Way to Wake Up From a Coma
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:27:07 PM »
This woman has been in a medically induced coma for a month to stop an infection. While in the coma, doctors had to amputate her hands and feet. As I read the story, I couldn't help but think what a nightmare it would be to go to sleep whole and wake up sans hands and feet.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/30/woman-who-beat-cancer-twice-battling-life-threatening-infection/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: What a Crappy Way to Wake Up From a Coma
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
I thought you were going to say she went to sleep in the Reagan years and woke up to Obama.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
My lord, I don't know if I'd want to wake up from that.   =|

Need to have some standing medical orders that if something that catastrophic happens; load me up with something good and let me go out in a beautiful dream.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
My lord, I don't know if I'd want to wake up from that.   =|

Which one, the no-hands-and-feet thing, or the Reagan-Obama thing?
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »
No hands/feet, of course.  Politics don't matter even close to that much.  Many orders of magnitude less.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
Yeah. Let me OD on something nice and fatal instead of waking up with no hands or feet.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:51:03 PM »
Ditto. Every single thing I enjoy doing requires one of those four appendages. I could live without sight or hearing (preferably not both), or one or two missing limbs, but all four? And to have to be dependent on others for my existence? Oh hell no.

Is there a clause for this in living wills? Geesh.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
I thought you were going to say she went to sleep in the Reagan years and woke up to Obama.
:mad:  That WOULD piss me off big time!     >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
Ditto. Every single thing I enjoy doing requires one of those four appendages. I could live without sight or hearing (preferably not both), or one or two missing limbs, but all four? And to have to be dependent on others for my existence? Oh hell no.

Is there a clause for this in living wills? Geesh.

Given the state of prosthetic limbs these days, I'd rather lose my hands and feet (she only lose those, not entire limbs) than my sight, hearing, or mind.  I suspect she won't be dependent on others for long.

Chris

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »
That. Prosthethics are improving at an amazing pace, and will be far better in 10 years than anything today.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 04:23:10 PM »
Well, since I am already going to Helll, here are the jokes.

What is the name for these people for people with with no arms or legs:

When water skiing - Skip
Hanging on the wall - Art
On the front porch - Matt
Leaning on the wall - Eileen
Swimming - Bob
On a podium - Mike
Under the car - Jack
In your mailbox - Bill
On the grill - Frank or Patty
Constantly dropped in the pool - Duncan

Sorry!

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »
Well, since I am already going to Helll, here are the jokes.

What is the name for these people for people with with no arms or legs:

When water skiing - Skip
Hanging on the wall - Art
On the front porch - Matt
Leaning on the wall - Eileen
Swimming - Bob
On a podium - Mike
Under the car - Jack
In your mailbox - Bill
On the grill - Frank or Patty
Constantly dropped in the pool - Duncan

Sorry!

Laying in a hole - Phil
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »
I don't disagree that prosthetics have come a long way, as we can see by some of the amazing things that wounded soldiers do after returning home and being fitted with them.

This situation would be as much, or more about the mental state for me. If you have some disease where the diagnosis is amputation of something, you at least have the chance of being told about it and in some way prepping for it, and it will often be one appendage versus the four main ones all at once. Even if you're in an accident like a car crash, you may wake up to find a limb or two gone, but your mind at least had the chance to prep for it in the split second before the crash -- it knew you were about to be messed up.

In this case, she would have been completely unprepared and unsuspecting. It would totally freak me out to go to sleep tonight and wake up tomorrow with no hands and no feet. I might get over it in time, but the initial shock would be a nightmare.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 07:49:30 PM »

It almost seems that way to me.  How quickly the years go by ...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin