Author Topic: What a day for a fire drill...  (Read 674 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
What a day for a fire drill...
« on: August 02, 2006, 07:14:08 AM »
Well, actually it wasn't a fire drill. For some reason our fire alarm system here at the office activated. Nothing like standing around in the broiling sun for 20 minutes waiting for the fire department to certify that no, the building isn't going to burn down.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 07:20:26 AM »
The last time ours went off without a scheduled test I just kept walking to the parking lot and called it a day, so did a lot of my co-workers. There was about an hour and half left of the day but the funny thing is some of them showed up at the same bar I went to for a brew.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 07:24:50 AM »
My boss just kept walking to his car, but he went for lunch...

I had just finished eating.

I was thinking seriously about going home for awhile (I live 2.5 miles from the office), but about the time I was getting serious about it the fire department let us back in.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 07:34:30 AM »
My office is 500 feet from the beach. I pray for false alarms everday.  Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 09:56:56 AM »
I like charby's response.

Ours went off falsely so much that I decided I wasn't going to leave until I smelled something burning.  One night I was working late, the alarm went off and I smelled something burning.  I made it down to the second floor (using the stairs, of course) where some guys were working in the bank.  It was hard to breath, but they had been cutting a bunch of hard stuff and I figured that's what I smelled.  A fire truck pulled up and everyone just thought it was a false alarm, so the truck was leaving.  A worker came running down the stairs, yelling (in a Mexican accent) "dude, the *expletive deleted*it's on fire!"  I flagged down the firemen before they pulled away.  A few more trucks showed up and they ran some hoses up and put out a fire.  I got a little free press out of it.  The whole building (including our offices) had a nasty burnt smell for a couple of weeks after.  After realizing how hard it would be to evacuate a full building with toxic smoke in the stairs, I now pay a little more attention to the alarms.  Next time, I'll go across the street and have a beer or two while someone else figures out whether there's really a fire or not.
For entertainment purposes only.