Author Topic: What about Carmax?  (Read 732 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What about Carmax?
« on: May 26, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
The morning paper announced that Carmax would soon be opening their first location in Washington state, to be followed by several others in the next few years.  I have read of them before on the Internet, but are they a reputable company?  Isn't one of their sales gimmicks a 'no-haggle' approach?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: What about Carmax?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »
My niece recently used them and was quite happy. They gave her high blue book on her Toyota Corolla. They did mention to her that is not always the case. They adjust their offered price based on the popularity of the particular car, as well as condition. She said they took about 45min to drive it around and inspect it, then gave her the offer, which she could redeem at any Carmax location within 7 days. She took their offer right then, no muss, no fuss.

I'm going to take my Trooper to them when I'm ready to sell it, just to see what they'll offer. If it's close to what I could get myself, I'll probably let them have it to save myself some hassle.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:54:23 PM »
The morning paper announced that Carmax would soon be opening their first location in Washington state, to be followed by several others in the next few years.  I have read of them before on the Internet, but are they a reputable company?  Isn't one of their sales gimmicks a 'no-haggle' approach?

A good bit high priced if you're buying, IMHO. I don't think they offer much advantage over going to a normal dealer (talking about like your local Ford or Chevy dealer, not the corner used car lot with it's trailer office), and their sales weasels are still just like other sales weasels.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:08:32 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:41:45 PM »
Like any dealership, sometimes they have great deals. If you're a warrantee buyer, theirs is one of the better ones.

Sometimes their offers come in great, sometimes laughably low.

They're generally good if you are trying to find a specific configuration, as they'll ship from any of their locations
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »
They're generally good if you are trying to find a specific configuration, as they'll ship from any of their locations

I will say that is one of their big advantages, as they will ship in a car from another location for a very low cost.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
Generally better than uncle Joes used cars. They don't usually sell junk, and warranty is OK. Downfall is price. You can usually do better, but if you can't haggle or are prone to not be good at buying cars the price is OK.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.