Author Topic: What a cock-up  (Read 1368 times)

sumpnz

• friend
What a cock-up
« on: March 19, 2016, 03:05:55 AM »
Just watched qualifying for the F1 race in Australia.  They changed the format of qualifying to "spice up the show".  See here for an explanation of the most ridiculous set of qualifying rules ever.

First time I can EVER remember seeing 2+ minutes remaining in qualifying and ZERO cars on track because the elimination schedule made it completely pointless to even bother trying.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: What a cock-up
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 10:30:41 AM »
First time I can EVER remember seeing 2+ minutes remaining in qualifying and ZERO cars on track because the elimination schedule made it completely pointless to even bother trying.

I'm confused. How is looking at an empty race track "spicey"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 12:17:13 PM »
I'm confused. How is looking at an empty race track "spicey"?

Because Bernie Ecclestone is more senile than the Bernie we got here?

New rule, only safe Bernie is the dead one that is hanging out for the weekend.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »
What I saw of the race is good for people tuning in to follow the sport, it had excitement and it is not quite as foregone a conclusion that one team will dominate.

"American" team Haas becomes only the second team ever to finish in a points position in their first outing.
AKA Navy Joe   

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 10:38:04 PM »
Aaand they're going back to last year's qualification protocol for Bahrain in two weeks.

I was glad to see the red cars being competitive again.

IMO, Alonzo is yet another life saved, primarily through the efforts of Sir Jackie Stewart.

Russ

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:39:56 PM »
Alonso was a bad crash and yes the car design to protect the driver and shed parts certainly helped him. But when you see parts flying and cars tumbling remember that is all energy shedding that didn't go through the driver. I wince at the wrecks that look less spectacular but where the car stops quickly. The Kyle Larson shot in the NASCAR race today was worse to me than Alonso's wreck. Without the energy absorbing wall that kid would have gotten a free helicopter ride. I've attacked Armco head on at probably 85-90 and the car made one more half revolution and stopped. The wreck looked like not much more than a car spinning out. Wow that hurt. Belts cracked my breastbone, but nothing else wrong. Glad it wasn't a concrete wall track.
AKA Navy Joe   

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 11:46:51 PM »
Alonso was a bad crash and yes the car design to protect the driver and shed parts certainly helped him. But when you see parts flying and cars tumbling remember that is all energy shedding that didn't go through the driver. I wince at the wrecks that look less spectacular but where the car stops quickly. The Kyle Larson shot in the NASCAR race today was worse to me than Alonso's wreck. Without the energy absorbing wall that kid would have gotten a free helicopter ride. I've attacked Armco head on at probably 85-90 and the car made one more half revolution and stopped. The wreck looked like not much more than a car spinning out. Wow that hurt. Belts cracked my breastbone, but nothing else wrong. Glad it wasn't a concrete wall track.

Coming to rest upside-down against a wall is a bad way to stop.  Alonso is lucky he didn't land into the catch fence as that would have been far worse for him.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 01:19:43 AM »
For those that didn't watch the race live and are interested here's a video of the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQhyHuWLJMI

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 01:34:05 AM »
Low energy by then. Looks to me that the big deceleration was the dig in to the gravel trap which was somewhat compliant. 3 of the 4 wheels going away look really bad, but not big hits.
AKA Navy Joe   

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 01:38:50 AM »
Doesn't take much energy to squash a melon, especially with a direct hit into a catch fence pole or somesuch.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 10:41:30 PM »
YouTube enblockened the vid.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 10:49:22 PM »
Guess we're looking at different things. Cockpit intrusion is a may happen deal, in that case it did not, so I move on to looking at how hard the hit was. Spectacular parts yard sales don't automatically impress me, sudden stops hurt to watch. Earnhardt Sr. looked like a nothing wreck. DRT.  On F1 I'd say the head is pretty well protected if you land on flat objects, the rear hoop is solid and the sides of the monocoque are pretty high. Obviously a Bianchi freak accident can happen, or flying tires and/or nose pieces like Justin Wilson, but they are pretty safe cockpits. The cars I am around have a tether on the 4.5' long rod that connects the pittman arm to the front axle. It's even informally named a Gobrecht strap because that was the name of the guy who got speared through the helmet by one in an otherwise unremarkable wreck.
AKA Navy Joe   

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 01:55:48 AM »
That wreck was more violent that you seem to have assumed French.  46g's measured (IIRC this is in an accelerometer in the driver's ear piece).  Crash was sufficient to totally write off the chassis and the engine.  Driver was not allowed by the FIA to race in Bahrain this weekend due to cracked ribs and a minor lung puncture.

http://www.pitpass.com/55743/Alonso-to-get-a-new-engine-for-Bahrain

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/f1-fernando-alonso-crash-australia-broke-seat-investigation-032916

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-reveals-he-had-a-pneumothorax-broken-rib-683214/

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »
Saw that, surprised. Glad to see Alonso seems to not be much affected. Bahrain was a decent race to watch. Watch in between pulling a wrecked race car out of the box. Dads car, never seen one hit kill so many parts. So much for the season opener.

AKA Navy Joe