Author Topic: what a day....  (Read 1220 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
what a day....
« on: April 03, 2007, 06:45:42 PM »
... in the life of Charby

So I head out of work to go to class tonight in Des Moines and someone knocked my mirror loose on my Jimmy. I'm kind of miffed by it, someone probably caught it with a bag or ran into it, a note would have been nice.

So I am in Des Moines Iowa driving on I-235 and some human is tailgating another person down the on ramp, I'm in the middle lane on a three lane west bound. Mr Tailgater whips out from behind the person he was tailgating and misses my front fender only because I slam on the breaks and about get rear ended.

Class is over with and I'm five miles from home on I-35, some other stupid human is insisting upon riding in my blind spot with his headlights in my mirror and I'm coming up along side another guy in the left lane , the other guy slams on his breaks then I see two deer pop up, well I hit the second deer slowing from 70 to about 35. I pull over to the side of the road, one person stopped about 300 yards in front of me. I get out, deer busted my headlight fixture on the passenger side, crinkled the fender and finished removing the mirror for me on the passenger side. As soon as I started rolling the guy that had pulled over did the same thing, I hope something nice happens to that person because they stopped to see if I was ok.

I made sure I wasn't rubbing tire and drove it home. Of course I called my wife 5 times before she would answer her cell phone, but I'm done being mad at here. Got home called the sheriff's office, have to call back tomorrow if the damage is over $1000 to file an accident report. So if it isn't probably won't be covered by insurance then. Sad The good news I'm uninjured.

So I wonder what a estimate will be?  I had a 84 suburban that got a front fender crinkled by a school bus turning too sharp and the rear of the bus caught it and it was $1100 in damage.

So, I'll be spending Wednesday going to body shop.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: what a day....
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:50:06 PM »
... in the life of Charby

So I head out of work to go to class tonight in Des Moines and someone knocked my mirror loose on my Jimmy. I'm kind of miffed by it, someone probably caught it with a bag or ran into it, a note would have been nice.

So I am in Des Moines Iowa driving on I-235 and some human is tailgating another person down the on ramp, I'm in the middle lane on a three lane west bound. Mr Tailgater whips out from behind the person he was tailgating and misses my front fender only because I slam on the breaks and about get rear ended.

Class is over with and I'm five miles from home on I-35, some other stupid human is insisting upon riding in my blind spot with his headlights in my mirror and I'm coming up along side another guy in the left lane , the other guy slams on his breaks then I see two deer pop up, well I hit the second deer slowing from 70 to about 35. I pull over to the side of the road, one person stopped about 300 yards in front of me. I get out, deer busted my headlight fixture on the passenger side, crinkled the fender and finished removing the mirror for me on the passenger side. As soon as I started rolling the guy that had pulled over did the same thing, I hope something nice happens to that person because they stopped to see if I was ok.

I made sure I wasn't rubbing tire and drove it home. Of course I called my wife 5 times before she would answer her cell phone, but I'm done being mad at here. Got home called the sheriff's office, have to call back tomorrow if the damage is over $1000 to file an accident report. So if it isn't probably won't be covered by insurance then. Sad The good news I'm uninjured.

So I wonder what a estimate will be?  I had a 84 suburban that got a front fender crinkled by a school bus turning too sharp and the rear of the bus caught it and it was $1100 in damage.

So, I'll be spending Wednesday going to body shop.

-Charby

I don't know how those are made, but on some vehicles with separate body panels, if the car's finish is still close to new, it can sometimes be cheaper and more durable to just get an entirely new fender panel, primed, and have them paint it factory color and clearcoat it, swap it for the old one.

I don't know much about those to know whether it'd apply, unfortunately!

Oh, and to save $$$, do NOT EVER get the new headlight fixture from a dealer, they'll do an arm and a leg. Find the part number, and then get it from a parts place on the web, or even off eBay. Headlight fixtures in general aren't hard to change out yourself with a Hayne's Manual.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 06:50:34 PM »
Look on the bright side. How many pounds of fresh venison do you have for your efforts?

Here in Wisconsin, folks buy beat-up old cars and trucks every winter. We call them "winter beaters".  Some may tell you we buy them to keep our nice cars garaged, free of salt, and off the icy roads.  Others know better, they're exactly what you're looking for when you want those free venison steaks the nice State Trooper gives you after you tag the deer on county roads during the fall and winter.  (Driver gets to keep the deer, or donate it to whomever they designate)  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »
I didn't even go look for the deer, I guess the coyotes and crows will be eating good for the next few days.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 07:03:36 PM »
I bought a headlight assembly for my Ranger (I hit a deer, almost stopped so that was the only thing it broke) for $70, brand new. Even came with a bulb!

I was actually kind of glad I hit that deer because that headlight lens was all cloudy and my other headlight was like new since it had been broken (along with the grill) by a deer the year before.

Around here we have more deer than cars. I counted 100 (thats right, one hundred) in  one field, about a half mile.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 08:27:50 PM »
Just got off the phone with the insurance company (I needed to calm down before I talked on the phone), looks like everything is cool even if I don't have a police report on the accident but I went out and surveyed the damage and looks like it will be over a $1k in damage.

Also when I called the sherrif's office, there was already was a deputy out working the scene, I guess the deer I hit decided to crawl out onto the road and try tripping some more cars.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 08:29:55 PM »
"I guess the deer I hit decided to crawl out onto the road and try tripping some more cars."

Repeat offender? Wink

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »
baawwwaaahaaaaa

I got skunked during deer season, this sort of makes up for it in an expensive way but no venison for the freezer.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 08:58:07 PM »
"I guess the deer I hit decided to crawl out onto the road and try tripping some more cars."

He was looking for revenge, charby.  Good thing you skedaddl...skidaddled...skedad.... ran away.   laugh
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 04:09:35 AM »
What's a bit more gross to see is some of the highways where deer run in front of semis going at high speed.

What's left, scattered at impressive distances, tends to look like the deer got nailed with an RPG...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 04:18:17 AM »
My wife has killed more deer with cars than I have with guns.  I've suggested she go driving through the deer woods during hunting season.  She doesn't find that funny. Smiley

Chris

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 06:20:05 AM »
What's a bit more gross to see is some of the highways where deer run in front of semis going at high speed.

What's left, scattered at impressive distances, tends to look like the deer got nailed with an RPG...
I've road rifled a few with a big truck and it ain't pretty. 26 wheeled meat grinder.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 06:49:02 AM »
Just got back from the body shop, estimate at $2100.  I have a $250 deductable so it won't be too bad, bad news is that $250 is going to come out of my buy a firearm account. Sad

I guess my Winchester Model 12 that I want to buy is going to have to wait another month, I'm buying one from a friend as soon as I get all the $$$ together.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 06:55:56 AM »
I can't count the number of near misses I have had with deer and also a few elk. I have avoided all of them, but nearly got rear ended by several tailgaters in the process.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 06:58:49 AM »
A damn good day for you. You dodged a bullet!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 10:29:37 AM »
My wife just got home and let me know she barely missed another one.  Her comment, "I need to get a hunting license".

Chris

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 10:35:13 AM »
My wife just got home and let me know she barely missed another one.  Her comment, "I need to get a hunting license".

Chris, I live pretty close to you, and I see an awful lot of deer on the roads.  I've been known to be...pragmatic in my adherence to the speed limit, but I don't seem to have nearly as many run-ins with the local venison supply as often as your wife does. 

Is she, like, a scary-fast driver or something?

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 10:35:48 AM »
Its not hard to get $1000 worth of damage these days.
Just be careful they don't total it!  grin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 10:41:36 AM »

Chris, I live pretty close to you, and I see an awful lot of deer on the roads.  I've been known to be...pragmatic in my adherence to the speed limit, but I don't seem to have nearly as many run-ins with the local venison supply as often as your wife does. 

Is she, like, a scary-fast driver or something?

-BP

No, she's actually a pretty careful driver and one that rarely exceeds the speed limit (as in 55mph on I66 east of Manassas!).

Her mistake is not looking far enough up the road or far enough off the sides.  I'll see things (deer, other critters, signs, etc) long before she does, if she sees them at all.

Only about half her run ins were in this area though.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 11:09:41 AM »
Its not hard to get $1000 worth of damage these days.
Just be careful they don't total it!  grin

Thats my biggest worry since the truck is only worth about $6200 retail.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.