Author Topic: View from my backyard  (Read 911 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
View from my backyard
« on: September 08, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »
Took a couple pics of the Milky Way as seen from my back yard last night.
Not too bad for a first attempt considering I don't know what I'm doing and my lens isn't the best for this type of photography.

And for those of you city dwellers that never get to see this many stars at night.... :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: View from my backyard
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 05:25:10 PM »
Not bad. Are you far enough from the nearest city to make light from it a non-issue*, or does the camera capture more stars than what is visible with the naked eye?

*I refuse to use the term "light pollution". I like civilization.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 05:32:36 PM »
I have some pretty obnoxious light pollution which can be seen in the lower edges of the pics but I'm still able to see and capture what you see though the camera does catch stars that aren't detectable to the naked eye.
I'd like to get a faster wide angle lens so that I can make the same exposure in less time. I'm starting to get trailing on the stars with what I was doing last night.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 07:26:59 PM »
Angles (azimuth and elevation), time, date? (Approximate will do.)

Just want to see if I can ID anything from my ancient Xastro program.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
Angles (azimuth and elevation), time, date? (Approximate will do.)

Just want to see if I can ID anything from my ancient Xastro program.

Last night about 2200 local time (CDT) first pic was west by southwest second pic was Northeast-ish both pretty much pointed "up" =D
I think I'm pointing to far above the horizon to make out Scorpio but Sagitarius should be visible near the bottom of the first pic.

The 2nd pic I can just pick Cygnus out of the noise, more or less middle of the pic

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 11:13:18 PM »
Who did the sky writing?  I didn't know that stuff could be seen at night.   =D

Cool.  You know you have a clear sky when you can see the occasional satellite. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 11:40:51 PM »
OK, I only tried the first pic:
Observer at Tulsa OK, 2200 hrs CDT, 07 Sep 2015, field of view 180°, elevation 45°, azimuth 252°, epoch of date.

First attachment shows the constellations, second one just the plain old stars.

I believe you were pointing a little more south of W by SW.

I couldn't screen capture the images, I had to use a separate handheld camera since the print driver on that ooooolde software won't match up with the ports on that computer (Dell Vostro, XP) and "Print Screen" doesn't work with XASTRO on that machine, either.

Thanks for the data (and images); I just wanted to play around with it.  In reducing the pix, a lot of resolution got lost, but... here they are.

Muchos Danke,
Terry

NOTE:  Sorry, attachments would not work. :(

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 07:07:16 AM »
Nice! There's nothing like staring into the ecliptic plane of the galaxy to make you feel small.

Fun fact: "galaxy" means milky way so "Milky Way galaxy" is redundant. This fun fact brought to you by the Pedant International Social Service.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 08:56:01 AM »
I believe you were pointing a little more south of W by SW.

It was dark. I just looked up saw what I wanted to capture and set up the camera. =D

Next time I try that I may see if I can get some overwatch. The coyotes were probably inside 100 yds a good part of the time I was shooting.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:25:32 AM »
Here's a couple more, slightly different exposure and post process

230RN, if you want I can see if I can get you a couple of the full size jpg files to play with, they run about 17 MB for size.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
It was dark. I just looked up saw what I wanted to capture and set up the camera. =D

Next time I try that I may see if I can get some overwatch. The coyotes were probably inside 100 yds a good part of the time I was shooting.

I would come up and shoot them bastards for you.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »
RKL offered,

230RN, if you want I can see if I can get you a couple of the full size jpg files to play with, they run about 17 MB for size.

Nah. I just wondered if I could pick out individual features by referencing XASTRO, my ancient DOS-based astronomy program.  Pure personal curiosity and play-time.  The answer is yes, at least off the monitor screen.

I got all po'ed and frustrated because I don't use an image-hosting site so have to use attachments.  Ran into difficulty posting the photo images of my screen because although I reduced them,  I could not post both of them.  There's a TOTAL limit of 2 (which is OK) and something like a 190 KB TOTAL limit for two attachments, which is too restrictive. So I let my post above stand without attachments.

By the time I would reduce them to fit that TOTAL limit, they'd have been unreadable anyhow.  Here's one showing the constellations.  There's another one just showing the star field, but the heck with it anyhow.

You'll notice Scorpio and the aggregation of stars of the milky way are at the lower left, which means, from your description of "W-SW", my azimuth of 252° was too far north, and my elevation of 45° was too high.

Terry

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »
Can't find it now, but there used to be a plan online using a $10 24 hour mechanical timer and a dollar store mini tripod head to make a clock drive for long exposure astrophotos with lightweight cameras.  (Pretty simple; figure a way to point the axis of the timer's dial at Polaris and then epoxy the tripod head to it. I think he used a 1/4-20 nut epoxied to the back of the timer, and a piece of tubing glued to the side parallel to the axis for sighting and mounted it on his good tripod.)  Some pretty impressive results from a Canon Powershot and CHDK to allow for the exposure times.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 04:06:39 PM »
It's amazing what that old 16-bit program, which TOTALs only about  800 KB (I got it off a 5-1/4" floppy, originally, and the Kilobytes is correct) can do.

What's "CHDK?"  It's one of my stupid days.

KD5NRH, I'm sure there are simple ways to do it, but I'm reminded of a buddy of mine who got a super duper pro telescope outfit with built-in tracking which only worked inside his house.  When he brought it out into the yard, it would go all wonky.  Don't know what the cause was, I suggested maybe the power lines overhead were affecting it, but I don't know what the final upshot of it all was.  Maybe I'll give him a call and find out.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:21:37 PM by 230RN »

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 09:35:31 PM »
Its a little to bright here to do that.
I think we might be going out to the wifes aunts house for Thanksgiving this year. I defiantly want to give this a try.
Shes out in potter county pa at 2500'. Next town over is supposed the be the darkest spot this side of the Mississippi.
What setting did you use? I have an older d80 with a 18-135 lens or I have a fixed 50 2.8f I think.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods