Author Topic: Where is my shocked face - Pope edition?  (Read 4120 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Where is my shocked face - Pope edition?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 08:17:39 PM »
Actually, the Pharisees tried to trick him by asking if he believed the Jews should pay taxes to Rome. They expected that He would say, "No." His response ("Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's ...") is essentially a statement in favor of separation of church and state. No, Fisty, it's not saying that governments have a right to commit genocide. It's just saying that there are two levels of law: mundane law, as enacted by governments, and God's law.Where people are dealing with things that aren't of concern to God (like paying your taxes), you should follow man's law. Where the issue is addressed by God's law -- we should follow God's law.

Eeeeeyup.    Same thing....just the other side of the coin. :angel: [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »
Shrug. Just a guess. Must have disremembered. Sorry.

We can arrange for the Mormons, the 7th Day Adventists, the Jehovah's Witnesses, and the Hare Krishna to show up at your door step all at the same time. :angel:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 09:31:44 PM »
No, Hawky, it's not that simple.

Why not?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »
Why not?

Really? I already explained this. You're saying that taxes are a Caesar issue, and not a religious issue. Which is fine, until Caesar's taxes run afoul of one or more religions (by heavy taxes on churches, a tax code that burdens the poor in some way, etc). Government and religion will always interact, because both have certain things to say about how people will be treated.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Where is my shocked face - Pope edition?
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »

Where people are dealing with things that aren't of concern to God (like paying your taxes), you should follow man's law. Where the issue is addressed by God's law -- we should follow God's law.

What things do you believe are not a concern of God? I remember reading something about sparrows and lillies.....

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.