Author Topic: Cynthia McKinney Debacle -- Your Guess as to Outcome?  (Read 3972 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cynthia McKinney Debacle -- Your Guess as to Outcome?
« on: April 01, 2006, 05:18:14 AM »
I'm interested to see what others here think the final outcome will be. As it stands now, my prediction is that it will all be dismissed as nothing, or the Capitol Police will take the blame or have to go through some kind of "training". The two most disgusting things I've seen of this so far are the "inappropriate touching" statement (usually reserved for descriptions of sexual molestation) and Glover and Belafonte involving themselves. I would be interested to see the security cam video of this.

-------------------------
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189940,00.html

McKinney Decries 'Inappropriate Touching' by Capitol Police

Saturday , April 01, 2006

WASHINGTON  Rep. Cynthia McKinney accused a Capitol Police officer of "inappropriate touching" on Friday as rumors flew around Capitol Hill that the Georgia Democrat would be arrested for her role in a bizarre physical altercation.

"This whole incident was instigated by the inappropriate touching and stopping of me, a female black congresswoman. I deeply regret that this incident occurred and I am certain that after a full review of the facts, I will be exonerated," McKinney said at a press conference at Howard University.

While McKinney asserted her innocence, her lawyer said she was "just a victim of being in Congress while black.

"Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, like thousands of average Americans across this country, is, too, a victim of the excessive use of force by law enforcement officials because of how she looks and the color of her skin," James W. Myart Jr. said.

Myart planned to file charges against the officer for excessive use of force, Capitol Police said.

McKinney was flanked by leaders from civil rights organization and a couple dozen schoolchildren from her district who were coincidentally in the nation's capitol on a field trip, according to a spokesman. Several of the children, most of whom were black, held up signs reading "God Bless Cynthia."

Capping off the 35-minute press conference were celebrities Danny Glover and Harry Belafonte, both of whom are vocal civil rights supporters and critics of the Bush administration.

Were not here to judge the merits of the case, but here to support our sister, said Glover, most famous for the "Lethal Weapon" movie franchise.

Belafonte said he and Glover would be watching the outcome.

"In America and Washington, D.C., issues of race have always been at play and have often been central to justice miscarried. ... We're here to be sure that this process is handled fairly and it is not rooted in a familiar racist behavior, that the outcome of this is going to be done on a very fair and a very square basis," the singer-activist said.

The incident occurred on Wednesday, when McKinney allegedly struck a Capitol Police officer after entering a House office building and refusing to stop at the request of the officer, who apparently did not recognize the congresswoman.

Congressional sources told FOX News that the officer, Paul McKenna, signed an affidavit swearing that McKinney responded to what he described as standard security procedures by punching him in the chest with a cell phone in her hand.

Howard Pressley, president of NAACP Georgia, called the incident a tragedy and use of excessive force.

"The mistreatment of Cynthia McKinney at the hands of Capitol Hill Police is a tragedy of major proportion and points to the vigor of outright disrespect for women and people of color," Pressley said.

Pressley and Myart also implied that McKinney's "progressive" politics may have made her a target for mistreatment.

An assistant to Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, R-Mich., witnessed the incident and gave a statement to Capitol Police, sources told FOX News. The witness, whose name is being withheld, told police that she saw McKinney hit a police officer. The witness was unaware that McKinney was a congresswoman.

McKinney was not wearing her congressional lapel pin during the altercation, which Capitol Police officers use to identify lawmakers and allow them to bypass security checks.

"I do wear the pin when I remember to wear the pin, but the pin is not the issue. If security is based on the pin, I've seen many, many members of Congress who don't have their pins on," McKinney said. "The issue is face recognition."

"Congresswoman McKinney, in a hurry, was essentially chased and grabbed by the officer," Myart said. "She reacted instinctively in an effort to defend herself."

While rumors flew that an arrest warrant would be issued for McKinney, two law enforcement officials said it was unlikely a warrant would be issued this week. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Several Capitol Police officials have said the officer involved asked McKinney three times to stop. When she did not, he placed a hand on her and she hit him, they said.

In a draft of a statement that McKinney did not release, she said the officer "bodyblocked" her during the incident, and she blamed his failure to recognize her on a recent makeover.

"It is ... a shame that while I conduct the country's business, I have to stop and call the police to tell them that I've changed my hairstyle so that I'm not harassed at work," McKinney said in the draft, which was obtained by WSB-TV of Atlanta and posted on its Web site.

An official close to McKinney said the statement was a "work product" never intended to be released.

Meanwhile, Republican lawmakers weighed in on the incident.

"Rep. McKinney appearing with the star of 'Lethal Weapon?' Not exactly the message you want to be sending," said Ron Bonjean, spokesman for House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill.

In January, during President Bush's State of the Union address, Capitol Police drew criticism for first kicking anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan out of the House gallery, and then for evicting the wife of Rep. Bill Young, R-Fla.

The department is tasked with protecting the 535 members of Congress and the vast Capitol complex in an atmosphere thick with politics and privilege.

The safety of its members became a sensitive issue after a gunman in 1998 killed two officers outside the office of then-Republican Whip Tom DeLay of Texas.

FOX News' James Rosen, Trish Turner and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 05:27:03 AM »
I know what I'd like the outcome to be...

A slapjack to the back of her head followed by a "booting in," but that probably won't happen anytime soon.

The bitch is, on cue, playing the race card as hard as she can. She had Danny Glover and Harry Belafonte with her at a news conference at Howard University yesterday.

I wonder if this stupid whelp remembers that a guy ducked around the magnatometers a few years ago and ended up killing two police officers inside the frigging Capitol? Oh yeah, she remembers, she just doesn't care.

Let's see...

She skips the mag, which she's entitled to do. That's fine.

She REFUSES to stop for the police officer. That's NOT fine.

Officer grabs her to stop her AFTER she refuses to comply with his request. That's fine.

She hits him in the chest. That's NOT fine.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Racism will NEVER die in this country. Not because whites are, at their very core, racist.

But simply because so many black "leaders" find racism to be so damned politically and personally profitable.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 06:15:44 AM »
The only "ism" I see here at work is "egoism".  I wonder how many of these congress critters are egotists of the highest order?  Sitting here reflecting on this, it seems to me, if I were a congressman, that when I was passing a checkpoint I'd make sure to smile and make small talk with the officer and thank him for his service.

Sounds like this self important weasel congress critter doesn't think much of the "little people" who are charged with her security.  I think she got what she deserved and I agree with Mike's last sentence.  Isn't it strange that every "spokesperson" immediately starts lambasting the officer, even though they were not present?  If the authorities in charge had any guts, they should obtain a warrant, order her to appear (if she doesn't, get a bench warrant and arrest her), book her, arraign her and let a jury of her peers decide the outcome.

PS:  She is a "Progressive" eh?  Isn't Progressive PC for Communist?   Well the only progress I see here is the progression of the odor of her outsized ego!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 06:49:12 AM »
Aren't members of congress exempt from arrest (except for very serious crimes) while congress is in session?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 07:11:22 AM »
That may be, but I don't think it gives them a carte blanch pass. That may be why the Capitol Police are holding off on filing charges. Not to mention that they want to do a thorough investigation before they muzzle her.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 08:03:09 AM »
From the United States Constitution Article I, Section 6.

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a compensation for their services, to be ascertained by law, and paid out of the treasury of the United States. They shall in all cases, except treason, felony and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any speech or debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other place.
Now, from Wikipedia's article Distrubing the peace (crime):

Disturbing the peace is a crime generally defined as the unsettling of proper order in a public space through one's actions.

This can include creating loud noise by fighting or challenging to fight, disturbing others by loud and unreasonable noise, or using offensive words likely to incite violence.

Disturbing the peace is typically considered a misdemeanor and is often punishable by either a fine or brief term in jail.
I'd say you could make a decent argument that she is indeed breaching the peace.  Which she is NOT protected from by the Consitution.

I'm intrigued by a number of things here, besides the blatant playing of the race card.

1.  McKinney is decrying "inappropriate touching" when SHE hit HIM too.  And it sounds like he had a good reason to touch her, since she did not stop when the officer asked her to.

2.  Her blithe assumption that she is important enough to be immediately recognized by a police officer, even though she herself admitted that she hurried by the officer and it is unlikely he got a good look at her.  Also consider that there are 435 Representatives and thousands of Capital Hill police officers (anyone who has ever been to D.C. can tell you that).  

Here is a link to a letter on her website that strikes a more conciliatory tone.  Perhapes she realized she was in a bad spot and backpedaled.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 08:47:59 AM »
I'm not sure that assaulting a police officer could be construed to be a breach of the peace, but that's open to interpretation.

But...

Assaulting a police officer CAN be a felony charge.

I believe what that section of the constitution was intended to do was to prevent one party or individual from using the police as a means of interfering with their opponents in order to controll Congressional activities. It was never intended to be a blanket exception from all issues of malfeasance.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 09:11:23 AM »
I sure wasn't defending her ... just thinking that they might not be able to arrest her anyway.  OTOH, since when has the Constitution meant anything lately Sad

My own feelings about her if expressed would contain a technical term regarding dog breeding Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 09:46:12 AM »
I realize you're not defending her.

I've already used that technical term in my first post...

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 11:40:50 AM »
Odds are that nothing will happen.  Yap-yap, mumble-mumble, and then somebody will holler "Bush lied!" or there will be some focus on the latest illegals' complaints.

If McKinney's IQ ever hits 50, she oughta sell.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 03:37:30 PM »
I didnt read the whole thing but was going to predict playing the race card.  I guess that was too obvious, though.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 06:24:45 PM »
Geez, and they call us paranoid!  Given the location, though, I'm sure the entire incident is on tape.

It could've been worse-he could've stopped Hillary Clinton.  Three months from now he'd be dead of "a self-inflicted gunshot wound".
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 09:50:43 PM »
The fact that she's screaming "RACISM!!" so darned loud tells me that she's trying to redirect attetion away from herself and whatever wrong  she may have committed.  As mentioned, the Constitution protects congressmen from petty crimes.  If it was a petty crime she committed, she wouldn't have any reason to be worried.  So it's gotta either be a really serious crime, or else something really embarassing.

Either way, we'll never know.  The leftists in the mainstream media will have us all asking ourselves whether or not racism exists in America.  The conservative counter-media will "prove" that Cynthia McKinney is senile.  The real story of what happened between McKinney and the guard will wither and die.  Which, I'm sure, is exactly what she wants.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 11:52:03 PM »
She should be fined for looking and acting like a crazy bag lady.

They will leave her alone because everbody knows that you don't mess with crazy people.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 04:23:48 AM »
She should be fined for looking and acting like a crazy bag lady.
The infamous +1 to that. The new 'do really brings out the "wild-eyed" in her.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 04:42:15 AM »
She's a congress puke and a useful tool. This'll go nowhere.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

bg

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 01:12:23 AM »
It's Pres Bush's fault. Everyone knows he hates black people..rolleyes

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 10:05:21 AM »
This seems to be a situation where the use of a TAZER would have been appropriate.  Are the capitol police issued Tazers? If so, then why did the officer attempt to stop her by grabbing her; that invites a physical response by the person being grabbed.  I think that if she was Tazered, she would be less inclined to flee from a police officer in the future.  Use of a Tazer would be much safer for the police officer, as it would keep him/her at a distance from the disturbed individual trying to bypass security.

Since most women carry purses, that presents the danger of having large amounts of high explosives carried into the capitol by someone bypassing security; that would seem to justify the use of a Tazer to stop entry by unknown persons.

client32

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 10:25:20 AM »
after entering a House office building and refusing to stop at the request of the officer, who apparently did not recognize the congresswoman.
Someone will have to educate me on this.  Are the officers supposed to simply recognize all 435 members of the house simply by looking at them?  It seems to me that they should have something to show, in their hand and ready, to get around the detectors just for a situation where the officer doesn't recognize them..... or just always.  Couldn't a look-a-like get in with explosives? (finding the tin foil now)
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Shalako

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 11:24:26 AM »
My low opinion of McKinney is compounded by the fact that she seems to totally diregard the safety and welfare of our elected officials. How are the police supposed to guard the House if a beligerent cell-phone user is too much trouble to stop for questions? She can't be bothered by wearing her access badge/pin or not. She is so important she should be recognized. (She probably mumbles racial epithets at the guards as she enters everyday anyway...)

This gal just expects the police to do their job how? If I was a member of Congress, I'd be unhappy with McKinney's lack of respect for protocol and the requirements of a public safety plan.

What an arrogant B_atxch!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 02:19:04 PM »
Just read on CNN where the U.S. Capitol Police officially requested an arrest warrant from a federal prosecutor. So at least they're not afraid to go ahead with charges.  Where it goes from there, though, is open to interpretation.  

Wonder how indignant she'd get were she handcuffed pursuant to the arrest?  :/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"