Author Topic: Moral question re: buying used gun from friend  (Read 1615 times)

cfabe

• friend
Moral question re: buying used gun from friend
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:17:32 PM »
So, I picked up a Smith and Wesson mod 66-1 from a friend at work. He offered it for $275 with 6 speed loaders, 3 grips and about 500 rds ammo, which I thought was a good deal so I agreed to buy it sight unseen, as he had other interested parties. This is my first foray into revolvers. When I picked it up from him it looked to be in good shape, but upon further review I thought the gun had some issues, mainly excessive end-shake and the timing was off. He did not know the gun had these issues (and I believe him in that regard), and he offered to take it back. After some reasearch on the gun forums I decided that I'd send it to smith and wesson to be inspected (and hopefully repaired under warranty).

Well I heard back today, they did find it out of spec in the areas of concern, and quoted $108 to repair it. So the question is how to proceed. If I had bought this at a gun show I'd just have it repaired, I think at $375 I still would have done allright. Should I mention it to him and see what he wants to do? Offer to split the repair cost? See if he will still take the gun back?  (it's been about 3 weeks)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 05:10:48 PM »
Get it fixed and have fun shooting up all that ammo and playing around with the different grips and practicing your speed loading.  A friend is vastly more important than a revolver.  Besides, you said he was unaware of the problem.

You're the one who bought the thing sight unseen.  Made for a valuable and inexpensive lesson.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 05:13:28 PM »
My take?

Depending on the kind of ammo, you got a good to excellent deal.

Speedloaders are anywhere from $7 to $15 per.

The grips, depending on what they are, could be $15 to well over $100.

And the ammo, depending on what it is, could be worth from $50 to $250.

All in all, it sounds to me as if you got a decent deal. Don't go back looking to dipper him out of some more.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 05:14:25 PM »
Quote from: grampster
Get it fixed and have fun shooting up all that ammo and playing around with the different grips and practicing your speed loading.  A friend is vastly more important than a revolver.  Besides, you said he was unaware of the problem.
I think illness has perfected the Grampster's moral compass.  Always a bright side, I guess.  Listen to this man.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 05:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the input, you're confirming my thoughts on the matter. I had been recieving conflicting input from other sources, but that group is probably not a very good moral compass.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 02:28:23 AM »
Spend the $108 and keep it to yourself.  You still got a good deal, just not as good as you thought.

Greg

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 04:52:07 AM »
What Grampster said.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 04:59:30 AM »
Think of it as a "rescue gun"!:D

There was a poor gun, without proper care and you took it in and gave it a good home, a loving gunsmith and proper exercise.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 05:22:28 AM »
ET:
Why did you have to go & say that?  Now, I feel obligated to buy every S&W M10 trade-in that looks like it was slung across an asphalt parking lot & give it TLC.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 05:27:47 AM »
Because I care!:D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 01:00:21 PM »
Get it fixed on your own dime. as far as i can see it's a really good deal, and, as said before, you're the one who agreed to buy it sight unseen.

~tmm

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 10:05:59 PM »
I think the gun will be easily worth what you'll have into it, with the accessories/ammo listed.  IF you're in a state that allows no-paper private transfers, you now have an unpapered gun which is valuable to some people.  Either way I'm with the "don't bother the friend about it".

I do have to say...this is why I started the revolver checkout thread Smiley.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 07:22:20 AM »
Get it fixed on your dime.
If he asks, tell him the truth.  If he offers to pay you for the repair work, offer him to split the difference instead.  If he 'forgets' to pay you, don't mention it unless he does.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 07:25:02 AM »
Jim your thread was a great help in checking out the gun. I didn't try to shoot it because following your method for checking the timing I thought it might be out of alignment.

I just phoned in my credit card to Smith and should have the gun back in a couple weeks. Thanks for the advice and the reassurance that I still got the gun at a decent price.