Author Topic: Question for Exchange & Active Directory gurus.  (Read 720 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Question for Exchange & Active Directory gurus.
« on: April 03, 2006, 05:53:59 PM »
Started puzzling over this today and figured I'd see if any of the fine folk here at APS have any clues.

I've got a multidomain AD forest (peer domains, not parent/child) with one Exchange organization and server (Win2k/Ex2k) with Exchange running on one of the Domain Controllers.  Recently we added another Exchange server that is also Exchange 2k, but it is NOT running on a DC.  After what looked to be a suitable test period with my mailbox on the new Exchange machine, I moved all the other users mailboxes over to the new Exchange server.

Today an unforseen issue came up.  Some mail destined for a Distribution Group (DG) is getting stuck in the categorizer and never going anywere beyond that.  I've tracked down what I think is the root cause of the problem, that being that others have created DGs with a Global scope, and it is those DGs that are not getting mail.  What I think is occuring is when Exchange queries the Global Catalog, it gets back an empty listing for the DG since its of Global scope, and per the reading I've done only Universal groups get their membership listings replicated across the forest to GCs.

Is there a way/configuration that will allow the Exchange server to successfully send mail to a Global DG, or will I have to locate, tear down and rebuild all the Global DG as Universal DG?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.