Author Topic: Heath Ledger found dead...  (Read 11093 times)

Tecumseh

• friend
Heath Ledger found dead...
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:34:26 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22788914/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heath Ledger found dead in NYC apartment
Authorities say Oscar-nominated actor's death possibly drug related
BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC News Services
updated 4:32 p.m. CT, Tues., Jan. 22, 2008
NEW YORK - Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday in a Manhattan apartment in a possible drug-related death, police said. He was 28.

According to the New York Times, Ledger was found naked and unconscious with pills strewn all around him in an apartment owned by actress Mary-Kate Olsen.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said Ledger had an appointment for a massage at the apartment. The housekeeper, who went to let Ledger know the masseuse was there, found him unconscious at approximately 3:30 p.m. ET, according to the New York Times. After receiving no response from the actor after shaking him, they called authorities.

We are investigating the possibility of an overdose, Browne said. There were pills within the vicinity of the bed.

The Australian-born actor was nominated for an Oscar for Brokeback Mountain, where he met his wife, actress Michelle Williams, in 2005. Ledger and Williams had lived in Brooklyn and had a daughter, Matilda, until they split up last year.

Ledger was to appear as the Joker this year in The Dark Knight, a sequel to 2005s Batman Begins. Hes had starring roles in A Knights Tale and The Patriot, and played the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in Monsters Ball.

Ledger grew up in Perth, and began doing amateur theater at age 10. At 16, he moved to Sydney to pursue an acting career, quickly landing TV movie roles and guest spots on Australian television.

After several independent films and a starring role in the short-lived Fox TV series Roar, Ledger moved to Los Angeles and costarred in 10 Things I Hate About You, a teen comedy reworking of The Taming of the Shrew.

Offers for other teen flicks came his way, but Ledger turned them down, preferring to remain idle than sign on for projects he didnt like.

It wasnt a hard decision for me, Ledger told the Associated Press in 2001. It was hard for everyone else around me to understand. Agents were like, Youre crazy, my parents were like, Come on, you have to eat.

His latest role was in Im Not There, in which he played one of the many incarnations of Bob Dylan  as did Cate Blanchett, whose performance in that film earned an Oscar nomination Tuesday for best supporting actress.

? 2008 MSNBC Interactive
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22788914/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSN Privacy . Legal
? 2008 MSNBC.com

The Viking

Re: Heath Ledger found dead...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 12:39:55 PM »
Sad. Especially for his kid.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:54:45 PM »
sucks he is dead, I liked him as an actor but he did do it to himself.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »
Talented actor. I'm very interested in seeing 'I'm not there'. Sad news.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 01:08:52 PM »
He did a good job in "Knight's Tale". RIP.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »
Let's try this again.

People who OD on recreational drugs are IMHO Darwin Award material. I'm sure it's sad for his family, but I find it difficult to care.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 02:30:40 PM »
Did they already wrap on the next Batman movie?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:34:39 PM »
Imdb says post production.

Also says he was filiming with Terry Gilliam.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »
he was with an OLSEN twin?!? ewwwwwww.........

sad, he was a good actor. and yes the filming is done on the batman movie.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »
Darn shame, but as Balog has observed, he did it to himself.

Dated costar Lisa Zane while they were filming "Roar"

AHHH!!!!  THATS why he looked so damn familar.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 06:13:01 PM »
Let's try this again.

People who OD on recreational drugs are IMHO Darwin Award material. I'm sure it's sad for his family, but I find it difficult to care.
Do you have any sources that the drugs were recreational?  How do you know they were not prescribed to him? 

Maybe it is my good Christian upbringing, but I believe that we should not judge others lest ye be judged yourself.  My belief in 'Lil Baby Jesus says we should care about all life, but thats just my good Christian upbringing.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 06:19:16 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 06:51:29 PM »
Let's try this again.

If you care so little, perhaps you should just skip the thread and keep your opinion to yourself.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Aaryq

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 07:55:22 PM »
Sad to hear.  I really liked him as an actor.  Too bad.  Hopefully this won't do too much psychological damage to his little one. 
Mourning aside, maybe it's because I find it difficult to trust a lot of people, but pills all around him sounds kind of fishy to me.  I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, but it sounds a little fishy. 
2ND HALF OF THE 3RD VERSE OF THE MARINES HYMN
"If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines."

BridgeWalker

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 08:18:56 PM »
I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, but it sounds a little fishy. 

Sounds like possible suicide to me.  Perhaps directly intentional, perhaps marginally intentional.  He got very famous very fast.  That seems to mess up a lot of people. 

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 08:32:04 PM »
Police are apparently telling his family it was an accident - he'd been sick (pneumonia or something) and got his meds mixed up.

Never thought of him as an actor I was interested in, but he was in a surprising number of movies I did like (including, yes, Brokeback). Sucks that he had to die young with a two-year old daughter.

A victim of the Internet age in a way - because an early report mentioned pills, with no other context or explanation, millions of people jump to the conclusion that he killed himself. That's an impression that will last in the public mind, even if incorrect, and will haunt his kid later in life ('your dad offed himself' on the playground, etc.).
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

BridgeWalker

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 08:59:39 PM »
Police are apparently telling his family it was an accident - he'd been sick (pneumonia or something) and got his meds mixed up.

Yeah, your comments on people thinking of suicide are probably correct.  I think I just figured that because I've seen it happen to friends. You think of what you have experienced.  I meant nothing but compassion with my comment though. 

But to mix up meds while sick--that is horrible.  People who are sick like that shouldn't be alone to fend.  A very dear friend is a widower with some chronic illnesses and no one closer than my family--an hour away. Every time he is sick, I worry about something like this happening. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 09:59:46 PM »
Who?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 01:29:57 AM »
He was one of my wife's favorite actors....and I liked his work, too. From what little I've seen, his Joker portrayal looks like the best of them all.....

He'll be the James Dean of the 21st century.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 01:57:38 AM »
Who?

Batman - The Dark Knight (2008)
I'm Not There (2007)
Brokeback Mountain (2005)
The Brothers Grimm (2005)
Ned Kelly (2003)
Monster's Ball (2001)
A Knight's Tale (2001)
The Patriot (2000)

Never seen or heard of any of those?

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 02:17:39 AM »
Maybe it is my good Christian upbringing, but I believe that we should not judge others lest ye be judged yourself.  My belief in 'Lil Baby Jesus says we should care about all life, but thats just my good Christian upbringing.

What a bizarre way to attack Christianity.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 02:50:39 AM »
I heard it reported that it was sleeping pills.  Reportedly the role of the Joker caused him not to sleep and he was prescribed Ambien.

I've lost two to Ambien so you would think the doc would tell him to be careful.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 02:57:22 AM »
Who?

Batman - The Dark Knight (2008)
I'm Not There (2007)
Brokeback Mountain (2005)
The Brothers Grimm (2005)
Ned Kelly (2003)
Monster's Ball (2001)
A Knight's Tale (2001)
The Patriot (2000)

Never seen or heard of any of those?

Nope...  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 03:02:03 AM »
Let's try this again.

Do you have any sources that the drugs were recreational?  How do you know they were not prescribed to him? 

Why hasn't this guy been booted yet?
 rolleyes

Way to jump to conclusions.
 rolleyes
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 03:03:03 AM »
Oh hold on a minute... Ned Kelly? I've read a lot about Ned Kelly, never knew there was a movie about him. Who made it, an Australian company or Hollywierd?

Avoid cliches like the plague!