Author Topic: Chain saw experts  (Read 13149 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Chain saw experts
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »
I know little about logging and chain saws, but I am observant.  In this area, where there is still a lot of logging going on, I see most of the professional loggers carrying Stihl chainsaws in their trucks. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
Back when I heated with wood, I had a Stihl... Kept oil in it, kept bar grease in it, and kept the chain sharp. Worked all the time.

That said, I have a friend who swears by his Dolman...
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
I'm inyo pawn shop saws myself, got an old pre-primer bulb Craftsman that does great. I am occasional use though. My dad has heated with wood only and run a big Husq for nearly 20 years. Just take the anti-kick chain the new saw comes with, close your eyes and heave that pos into the weeds. Smack your dog if it fetches it. Put a real chain on it. Sharpen often. My dad just keeps straight carbide burrs on a dotco, no time for screwing with files.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 11:34:58 AM »
Sharpening interval is determined by usage, and just how it feels and what the chips look like.  Sometimes I can go several gas refills, sometimes not even one.

IIRC, I'm using Oregon 72LG: full comp chisel chain, no safety links.

Back in Colorado cutting lodgepole and spruce, I used the semi-skip chain (72JG?) but that doesn't work well on this knotty ponderosa.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »
If you ever find a running Partner chainsaw at a garage sale or something, buy it. I don't think they make them anymore; they only make concrete saws and stuff now. But my dad had/has a Partner he bought decades ago and it was the best saw probably ever. He bought a Husky when the coil went out of the partner, and bought a Stihl when the husky wore out a few years later, but if he could still get parts for the Partner I have no doubt he would start using it again. A very strong-running saw with no plastic parts to break.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »
In this area, where there is still a lot of logging going on, I see most of the professional loggers carrying Stihl chainsaws in their trucks.

Those are just the ones who aren't man enough for a real saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szTkkJFAIGM or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY2SFAJb3uM for speed.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »
Fun thread.

I use a homelite XL.  Its probably older then I am.  I have no doubt that it wouldn't last a month in professional service, but for my uses, it works just fine.

If I ever replace it, id buy a Sthil, but that's just because I like buying commercial grade things.   =)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
Get whatever kind this is:

Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »
I found that time spent making sure the chain was good & sharp was almost always a good investment.  Generally speaking, when I took a break, so did the saw: gas, oil, & a touch up on the chain if needed.

Doesn't take much, just a clean rat tail file of the correct size & such.

I did residential tree removal, which was a different critter from logging.  A lot more time spent making sure nothing went through the customer's roof or into the power lines.  The saws the climbers used had to be powerful, light, & easy to start.  Ground men needed larger, more powerful machines.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 07:27:57 PM »
Fun thread.

I use a homelite XL.  Its probably older then I am.  I have no doubt that it wouldn't last a month in professional service, but for my uses, it works just fine.

If I ever replace it, id buy a Sthil, but that's just because I like buying commercial grade things.   =)

I think I had one of those.  Somebody gave it to me.  It was blue, and vibrated so bad the screws would could flying out while you were cutting.  I got pretty good at catching them in mid-air.  =)

Then like a fool I went down and bought a brand new Homelite 360.  As I picked it up, the guy at the shop bragged how it would last 300 hours.  He was right, I wore it out in two months  ;/

My next saw was a Stihl 045  ;) 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 09:10:06 PM »
i've never used a bow blade   could you explain em to me?

They are...interesting.

A lot of people say they are dangerous. And they are, if you don't know what you are doing with them. Cutting with them in the wrong place on the blade WILL get you hurt/dead quick. They are pretty much unavailable new, except to licensed tree arborists, due to the liability (personally, when it comes to a frickin' chainsaw, how the hell is a bow blade more "dangerous" than a straight blade?!). You MUST keep the proper posture with them and be careful. Keeping any guards in place would also be a good idea, IMHO.

They are excellent for cutting up downed trees into logs. I find them less fatiguing and somewhat faster to use than a straight blade for that purpose. We even fell trees with them, although it's not ideal or recommended.

Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 10:54:27 PM »
i'm building a firewood processor and that might be handy. i know where to find a couple
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 11:26:31 PM »
i'm building a firewood processor and that might be handy. i know where to find a couple

Get some hands on instruction and practice from somebody that knows how to use one.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »
i will and thanks for the heads up. a chain saw when it hurts you really hurts you. the processor saw will be hydraulically driven
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 12:08:19 AM »
i will and thanks for the heads up. a chain saw when it hurts you really hurts you. the processor saw will be hydraulically driven

Yea.  Chainsaws, motorcycles and guns.  You're lucky if you get the chance to have more then once accident with em.

• friends
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 12:26:46 AM »
i've done 2 outa three three outa three if you count shooting my own truck
these
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Chainsaw-Professional-Chain-RG6521K-L/dp/B000PDO7W4

are a very good thing  i do regret not using hearing protection as a young feller

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 10:20:23 AM »
yep,  i second the hearing protection.  i suffer from tinitus, most of which came from playing in loud bands but chainsaws are a noisy creature.  safety glasses are a must, as well as a hard hat when needed.  watch out for the dead limbs and trees, as the upper branches may break off as the tree starts to fall.  stay well clear if in doubt.

right now i'm in the process of getting my friend into a chainsaw operator course.  yesterday he asked me to help him drop two small evergreens (about 12" at the base). we roped the first tree off to avoid having it fall onto his electric line.  we both agreed on the best place for it to go, and he insisted on felling it.    he gets his saw going and cuts a wedge in the right place. then he starts to cut on the back side and is seesawing the saw back and forth.  i try to tell him to stop, but there's no hearing me with the saw going.  the tree starts to fall, bingo right where we wanted it.  he stops the saw and i go over to talk to him about his technique. we look at the stump and i point out how the hinge is totally cut off on both sides with only a crescent shape sliver left, and how it should be nearly straight across with about an inch thickness.  he points out that the tree fell right where we wanted it, and i tell him he got lucky.  so i figure my advice hasn't fallen on deaf ears, and we rope off the second tree.  this time he cuts the hinge entirely off and the tree falls directly towards where he is standing about 90 degrees from our planned landing zone).  fortunatly he is watching and steps around the tree to avoid getting hurt.  he owns an outdoor wood furnace, and heats entirely with wood so he uses his saw all the time.  i have given him some advice on cutting in the past trying not to butt-in excessively, but after watching him fell these trees i think it's time to get him some professional instruction.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 10:37:31 AM »
Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, are all good quality saws. You should be shopping only at a real saw shop, not a big box store. Like others have said, forget about using a mill saw to cut firewood. I heat with wood using a hungry outside wood boiler and do all my cutting with a Stihl MS361. It's a professional grade saw so probably a bit overkill for firewood, but it cuts fast, starts when I need it to and will probably last me decades. If you only need a cord a year, one of the smaller, homeowner or mid-range stihl models would probably suit you just fine.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 10:40:19 AM »
Speaking of saws..  I am living proof the chaps work.  Slipped while cleaning branches off of a felled tree and touched my thigh with the saw.  It went right through the outer canvas layer and sucked in the fibers inside which stopped the saw cold.  It did not even touch the inside canvas layer or more importantly my leg!  Stood there looked at it for a few seconds, looked at my Dad, we both said "huh", cleaned the fibers out of the saw, duct taped the chaps and then went back to it.  I've been a lot more careful since then!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 10:52:55 AM »
the processor saw will be hydraulically driven

Take a look at those big "slide boom" delimbers/log processors if you have some in your area.

They use a conventional bar and chain in a much larger pitch (1/2" ?).

Hydrualic motor driven chain, and the bar swing is controlled by a hydraulic cylinder.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 11:17:03 AM »
Actually... does anyone have any good resources for safely operating a chainsaw?

I received some good basic instruction from my dad, but would like to learn more.  Build some good habits early on...

Seems like lots of homeowner types get injured by chainsaws every year.  =|

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »
now that the thread has most of the useful stuff time for some fun. [popcorn]

just remember to watch flying blades. :O

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2010, 02:45:06 PM »
Speaking of saws..  I am living proof the chaps work.  Slipped while cleaning branches off of a felled tree and touched my thigh with the saw.  It went right through the outer canvas layer and sucked in the fibers inside which stopped the saw cold.  It did not even touch the inside canvas layer or more importantly my leg!  Stood there looked at it for a few seconds, looked at my Dad, we both said "huh", cleaned the fibers out of the saw, duct taped the chaps and then went back to it.  I've been a lot more careful since then!

Like this?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2010, 02:46:52 PM »
Like this?

exactly except my leg was in there!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
now that the thread has most of the useful stuff time for some fun. [popcorn]

just remember to watch flying blades. :O

I know an instructor who used to teach people to fly helos with chainsaws...

Damnedest thing I've ever seen...