Author Topic: How Do You Hold Your Steering Wheel?  (Read 8649 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: How Do You Hold Your Steering Wheel?
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »
On any vehicle with a working non-blocked rearview I also set the mirrors to make everyone else cuss. Kick the left mirror out to where I can barely see the edge of the car with my head leaning on the driver's glass, lean to the right same amount and repeat. Takes a good while to warm up to, really a whole different scan pattern or concept. Blind spots are gone, the only way someone can sneak in is to be two or more lanes off and slightly behind and then slide over to you. Which you should have already seen them coming to that spot.... Between that and actively managing the space in front and behind my car I expect to know where everyone is at on the road. I will give a quick blind spot glance but if I need to change lanes in a hurry I know where the hole is already.

Exactly how I set my mirrors.  I've seen it called "tuned" mirrors.  It's not something you should do in a larger (bus, truck) vehicle, but it works great in a normal car.

Here's a good link describing it: http://www.smartmotorist.com/car-accessories-fuel-and-maintenance/adjusting-your-mirrors-correctly.html
DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »
10 and 2 doesn't give good control in an emergency maneuver, anyway. 9 & 3, with the two hands fully opposed, gives significantly better control.

10 and 2 worked well enough this morning.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »
Today left hand at 12 other hand on phone or adjusting radio. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »
On any vehicle with a working non-blocked rearview I also set the mirrors to make everyone else cuss. Kick the left mirror out to where I can barely see the edge of the car with my head leaning on the driver's glass, lean to the right same amount and repeat. Takes a good while to warm up to, really a whole different scan pattern or concept. Blind spots are gone, the only way someone can sneak in is to be two or more lanes off and slightly behind and then slide over to you. Which you should have already seen them coming to that spot.... Between that and actively managing the space in front and behind my car I expect to know where everyone is at on the road. I will give a quick blind spot glance but if I need to change lanes in a hurry I know where the hole is already.

I started doing that a few years ago after I read about it somewhere (I think it was Popular Mechanics). Works a LOT better on roads with multiple lanes. I still swing the side mirrors in a bit closer on roads with only two lanes, though. Don't need it there.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 12:01:33 AM »
OK, next question......middle finger on the right hand or middle finger on the left hand?.......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 12:38:06 AM »
OK, next question......middle finger on the right hand or middle finger on the left hand?.......

Both.  Simultaneously.

Mother *expletive deleted*er.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:28:52 PM by scout26 »
Formerly sumpnz

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:51 AM »
Depends. Learned old school 10 & 2. Learned 8 & 4 and a bunch of other stuff in EVOC training at the academy.

In practice it's 12 o'clock high or one-handed at the 8:00 or 9:00 position with thumb and forefinger wrapped around spoke.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »
I hold the steering wheel between my left index finger and thumb, usually holding at the 9 o'clock position with elbow resting on the door sill. In crappy weather I may hold the wheel a little tighter.

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »
With a proper wheel in a high performance setting, 9 & 3, daily, depending on the wheel, 9 & 3 or 8 & 4.

I'm going to guess 1977 to 1982, now where you were is trickier, supermodifid or 30x90?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »
I live in California.  Right hand at 4, left hand out the window with a single digit showing!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
I'm going to guess 1977 to 1982, now where you were is trickier, supermodifid or 30x90?
Boothill Speedway, Greenwood (outside of Shreveport), LA, Small Block Modified, most anything goes within a Cubic Inch cap.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2012, 09:18:53 AM »
My brother owned Quality Frame & Alignment on Raymond St off of Midway in Shreveport, LA and I was the front end / chassis mechanic. I built the chassis on that car and several others. Here is what the shop looked like back in the day:

More of my work:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:22:43 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
My brother owned Quality Frame & Alignment on Raymond St off of Midway in Shreveport, LA and I was the front end / chassis mechanic. I built the chassis on that car and several others.

Huh. Judging by your avatar, I thought you worked as a mild-manner reporter. With glasses.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »
Close, Sr Programmer/Analyst by day, Blues/Funk Rock drummer by night!

and  now, full-time gimp!

MOLON LABE!

markdido

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
9:45 and 4:27
Liberals believe that a woman, found raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is morally superior to a women with a dead rapist at her feet and a gun in her hands.