Author Topic: Buckeyballs Banned by Bureaucracy  (Read 16280 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Buckeyballs Banned by Bureaucracy
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »
Despite the manufacturer apparently putting a bajillion warning labels on them, the Consumer Product Safety Commission has banned Buckeyballs. For the children.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/26/cpsc-bans-sale-buckyballs-magnetic-toys-cites-hazard/?test=latestnews

PS - On a totally unrelated side note. I have NEVER been able to spell bureaucracy correctly on the first go. Even though I work in one and use the word a lot. It has to be a subconscious mental block of some kind.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Buckeyballs Banned by Bureaucracy
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:32:57 AM »
The spelling of bureaucracy should be changed to burro-ocracy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
We are not a nation of laws, but of agencies.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »
What the hell?

Yea.  Magnets are dangerous if you swollow (more then one of) them.  So is drain cleaner and gasoline.  Here's an idea; don't let your four year old eat any of these things!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »
Should probably ban legos too. Not only did both of my boys manage to get one stuck up each of their noses when they were little, but they also built toy guns with them.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:44:12 AM »
I consider this a very serious violation of freedom. You have to admit, there is a certain amount of 'WTF' when I can mailorder thousands of rounds of ammunition, but not buckyballs. And there are a lot of people to whom buckyballs are more important than ammunition. If the CPSC can ban magnets, they can ban pretty much anything.

I would also point out that you can buy chlorine bleach and even uranium ore on Amazon.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
My money is that if obama has a second term, expect the CPSC to go after ammunition.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »
Well, there goes a best seller for Woot!

Glad I have mine.

bob

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »
Cant find the name brand ones already.

Bought two generic Chinese sets from eBay.

Were I the owner of Buckyballs, and this my lifetime's work/investment, I'd go "UC" on whatever CPSC officials I could find. Fire and blunt trauma if possible. Don't need any more anti-gun rhetoric right now...
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
The more I think about this, the more annoyed I am.

This just in: Americans too stupid to play with small rare-earth magnets!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 11:27:39 AM »
Oh thank G-d I got my buckey balls when I could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [tinfoil] :rofl: :lol: ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »
This just in: Americans too stupid to play with small rare-earth magnets!

I wouldn't go that far.  Kids put things in their mouth, especially very young children.   

My money is that if obama has a second term, expect the CPSC to go after ammunition.
Yup.  That's why reloading and casting are good things.  Stock up on powder, primers, and brass (powder and primers are the two main consumables).  Lead isn't going anywhere for a while and remains available, even if not free like in years past. 

Chris

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
I wouldn't go that far.  Kids put things in their mouth, especially very young children.   

This product is marketed to adults.  The packaging clearly warns that it is not for persons under 14 year old.  If a very young child got ahold of it, that would be a failure of the owner, not the product - just as if a very young child were to get ahold of my loaded Glock.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »
I own a set from when they first came out.

Yes, they could be dangerous if you use them in a way they are not intended to be used, but so what?  This is stupid.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:51:26 AM »
True, I thought you were referring to the kids.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 11:52:46 AM »
Lead isn't going anywhere for a while and remains available, even if not free like in years past.  

What do you mean its not free?

Grab a bucket and a pair of pliars and head for the biggest parking lot that you can find. >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
I believe your alliterative title is missing a word.

And though the word "retards" might be appropriate, the one I'm thinking of only rhymes with it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »

Were I the owner of Buckyballs, and this my lifetime's work/investment, I'd go "UC" on whatever CPSC officials I could find. Fire and blunt trauma if possible. Don't need any more anti-gun rhetoric right now...

This

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 04:38:10 PM »
You'd think if they were going to ban dangerous stuff, they'd start with government.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »

They already have...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
You'd think if they were going to ban dangerous stuff, they'd start with government.

Excellent notion!!

Now how can we get it to catch on?
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 09:06:45 PM »
Maxfield and Oberton founder and Chief Executive Craig Zucker said his company marketed the magnets to adults and teenagers and the CPSC held the "absurd position" that warnings did not work.

"We will vigorously fight this action taken by President Obama's handpicked agency," he said in an emailed statement.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/26/cpsc-bans-sale-buckyballs-magnetic-toys-cites-hazard/?test=latestnews#ixzz21mSnv4gA
I can't seem to find the buckyball stuff on www.thinkgeek.com anymore.  They had expanded into BuckyCubes and other stuff also.  I got the cubes and they are more fun/frustrating than the BB's.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 12:28:34 AM »
I always wanted to make sporting clays with steel filings incorporated into the mix.....then load my shotgun shells with buckyballs.... =D

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 12:42:27 AM »
I saw this earlier tonight, assumed it was a joke. :facepalm:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »
Local talk show was talking to the PR guy from the manufacture of the Bucky Balls.   Basically, the timeline went something like this:

CPSC: We would like you to voluntarily recall your product.

BBM:  WTF? Why?

CPSC:  Because it kills children.

BBM:  Yes, there have been a couple of deaths.  That being said, that is after we've sold a whole pisspot full of the things.  And it's because parents don't keep them out of reach of kids, like it says *all over the friggin packaging*.

CPSC:  So you won't recall?

BBM:  No.  Now go away.

CPSC to all the retailers:  BUCKY BALLS ARE DANGEROUS AND WE'RE GONNA PROHIBIT THEIR SALE SO YOU BETTER STOP SELLING THEM ZOMG!!!11!!!1111!!!eleventy

BBM:  WTF????  There's warnings all over this thing not to give it to kids, etc.  Warnings *you* demanded.

CPSC:  Yeah, well we don't think warnings work.  BTW, here's an administrative complaint that we're going to use to shut you down.

And basically, it turns out that CPSC has violated their own procedures in how they handle these things.   They haven't quite managed to ban the sales of these items, but they're making it a living nightmare for this company.  And they have gone to all their retailers and basically bullied them into not carrying the items any more.   

I imagine the manufacturer will be filing a lawsuit *very* shortly. 

here's more detail:  http://www.getbuckyballs.com/buckyballs-only-marketed-to-adults-cpsc-press-release/

BTW, you *can* still buy them directly from the manufacturer at the above link.  If anyone was planning on buying these, I would recommend doing it just to support the manufacturer, and simultaneously give the finger to the CPSC.  I plan on doing so...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy