Author Topic: Favorite Libations  (Read 5840 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Favorite Libations
« on: August 12, 2006, 06:27:03 AM »
Ok.  So like many people, I enjoy an occasional adult beverage.  Smiley  Standard disclaimers, no guns/cars/bicycles/etc. after even one.  

Now I'm curious as to what the preferences for the APS crowd is for their favorite relaxing beverage.

As far as un-distilled adult beverages, I can't really stand the cheap beers/wines.  I like microbrews (would actually like to get into brewing my own) and probably my current favorite is "Ruby", a micro by one of the local breweries/restaurants in the Pacific NW (McMenamins for any of you from the region).  It's a nice ale, with just a hint of raspberry.  pale red in color.  A little sweeter than most, not hoppy at all.  When I can't get that, I tend to go for a Hefeweizen (no, I don't like "light" beers) or a Guiness.   As far as wines go, haven't really developed much of a specific preference, except that I don't tend to go for the dry wines.  I like a little sweetness in there.

Now, as far as the distilled spirits.  I really tend to enjoy a good blended Irish Whiskey.  My current favorite is John Jameson & Sons, 12 year.  A little pricey at $35 a bottle, but then again, my last bottle lasted me about 6 months...  Gives you an idea how often I drink, at least the harder varieties.  My other current favorite, but this is a liquer, is Drambuie.  Essentially a scotch mixed with spiced honey and some other "secret ingredients".  Very tasty, but a little too sweet.  Definitely a dessert drink, particularly with a good cigar or pipe tobacco.

So ladies and gents, what do you enjoy?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Stickjockey

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 08:44:32 AM »
A good red or white wine depending on mood/menu.

Anything Amber or darker. I am particular to Guinness and Bass Ale or Boddington's Pub Ale.

Single Malt. MacLannan's Islay is nice, smoky with just a hint of sea salt. Dalwhinnieis good too.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Favorite Libations
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 09:03:08 AM »
Michelob Amber. Most of the microbrews tend to be a little over-hopped and bitter to me.

Not much of a mixed drink kinda guy. Most of them are too sweet to me. I have been known to enjoy a vokda and Seven with a healthy splash of cranberry. The cranberry adds just enough tartness to take the edge off the sweet.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Vodka7

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 09:29:28 AM »
AmbulanceDriver pretty much took the words out of my mouth, except I have a preference for Power's over Jameson, and not the 12 year with the frequency with which I drink it.

For summer drinks, you can't really beat Bacardi Big Apple & Sprite or Disarrano & Ginger Ale with a splash of grenadine for color.  Or a creamsicle if I feel like buying ice cream, which I never do.

As for beer, Guinness at bars, Hefeweizens at home, preferably Franziskaner Hell when I can find it, or Paulaner when I can't.

That said though, I now live in the great state of Pennsylvania, and our liquor laws make as much sense at New Jersey's traffic laws, so I drink beer with much less frequency than I once did.  For a quick overview, we can't buy beer anywhere but bars or beer distributors, and bars can only sell up to a twelve pack.  The closest bar to me charges $8 for a six pack of American cans like Coors & Michelob.  Beer distributors can't sell anything less than a case.

So, instead of living in a normal state and being able to buy a few six packs of different varieties, I have to spend way too much to get what should be cheap beer, or commit to 24 of the exact same thing.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Favorite Libations
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 10:27:38 AM »
Flying Dog Brand beer and ale, out of Denver Colorado

Old Fitzgerald Bourbon Whiskey

Knockando Single Malt Scotch.

Presidente Cervza, out of the Dominican Republic

wmenorr67

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:48:07 AM »
Vodka7 does PA allow homebrew.  Maybe your best bet.  

Myself I prefer to homebrew but with getting ready to head for the sandbox I am not doing it as of late.  Don't need to have something setting around for the next 1+.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

peteinct

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 12:32:25 PM »
COFFEE     lots and lots of coffee.

Harpoon Ipa is good but Gin and tonics are better.

pete

Favorite Libations
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 01:08:13 PM »
T minus 10 days until 21. I'll tell you soon. Tongue

mfree

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 01:53:47 PM »
I'm cheap; My fridge is usually stocked with miller High Life. It's acceptable.

The daily "routine" though, is two cups of coffee, followed by OJ and a bottle of water while I'm driving to work, then water and coffee till I leave at 5, then water water water and a beer before bed.

I'm not much of a drinker... I generally just have a shot or three when I do. Maker's mark there.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Favorite Libations
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 03:16:26 PM »
Elijah Craig Bourbon coupled with a strong latakia mixture in my pipe is like 40mg of cyclobenzaprine without the come-down.  It's only $20/750ml and I distinctly prefer it to more expensive varieties like Maker's Mark or Booker's.

For beer, I prefer Long Trail Double Bag (brewed in Vermont), an 8% amber ale, or whatever my homebrewing best friend has created this quarter.  For more casual consumption I turn to Sam Adams Ale.

Wine is something I buy very infrequently, but it's almost always Vendage Pinot Noir or Albola Pino Grigio.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Norton

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 03:37:30 PM »
Spirits:

Bombay Sapphire Martinis
Glen Fiddich Scotch
GlenMorangie Scotch
Knob Creek
Makers Mark

Beers:

Beamish
DuClaw Brewery
Guinness

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Favorite Libations
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 05:26:23 PM »
Woodchuck hard cider, granny smith version.

White Russians. I started drinking these after seeing 'The Big Lebowski' and was instantly hooked. I also drink a lot of screwdrivers

beer: Widmers Hefeweisen, Bass Ale, Rolling Rock, Guiness Extra Stout

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Favorite Libations
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 05:54:42 PM »
I only take a little here and there

Im not much for carbonated stuff.  Not much for beer but mead or cider is nice

Wine not picky but nothing to tannic.  A nice chianti is always welcome though....hold the liver and fava beans.

I prefer mixed drinks though.  Lemonade with a splash of rum or Cape Breton Lemonade, basically lemonade with rum.  Not into the real fancy mixed stuff but something to cut it a bit.  But a nice well rounded strait stuff is nice on occasion.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Antibubba

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 06:29:42 PM »
Beerwise, the darker, the better.  An Irish Stout is a meal unto itself.  I'm not averse to pale ales though.  But if it isn't from the tap, I'm not touching it-bottled is almost always a disappointment.

I love the ciders, especially the cranberry ones.

Wine?  I like wine, but not too dry or oaky.  I'm teaching myself about saki.

Spirits: Tequila is dangerous, not that I object to a little danger every now and then.  I like Galliano, and the other anise-flavored liquers.   Ouzo? OPA!!!!!  I'm sure there are others, if I could just remember...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

lupinus

• friends
Favorite Libations
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 06:48:01 PM »
you think Tequila is dangerous?  Try grappa Wink

and real grappa, not this fluffy over marketed grappaish stuff some companies are putting out.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 07:01:21 PM »
The only thing I've found that I enjoy is a Blue Moon with a slice of orange in it. It's a Belgian wheat ale. With that, I'm in heaven.

I don't like most cheap beers, or most others that I've tried.

I haven't found much wine that I enjoy. Some whites are OK.

I don't like whiskey.

Not tried many mixed drinks, it's on the to-do list.

PS- Go out and try the Blue Moon with an orange if you haven't, cuz' mmmm...
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Favorite Libations
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 07:03:31 PM »
Anything with alcohol that isnt tequila.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

lupinus

• friends
Favorite Libations
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 07:09:20 PM »
spooky

if you wanna try mixed drinks most juices with a bit of bite- orange, cranberry, etc as well as lemon/orange/lime ade all mix well with vodka and rum.  Rum is pretty darned versitile esspecialy if you play with spiced or flavored rums.  151 rum if you just want to get smashed and be quick about it lol

esheato

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 08:14:06 PM »
A good red wine will suffice, but I prefer beer. The darker the better, but  I usually end up with Anchor Steam...even when I set out for something different.

Ed

Waitone

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 01:43:31 AM »
Single malt scotch.  If it don't hurt to drink it ain't hardly worth drinkin'.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Art Eatman

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 04:48:33 AM »
Back before Castro, "Ron Metusalem" was a superb rum from Cuba.  Smooth as silk, even straight.

Daily basis, beer or bourbon.  Bud in the fridge, usually, but Dos Equis and/or Bass Ale is common.

bourbon?  Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve are great for sipping.

I've never developed a taste for wine or champagne.  Or Scotch, although the better single-malts are sorta acceptable if offered.  Dunno why, but don't care, either.  Just the way it is.

Grand Marnier ("Granny Goose") is good for after-dinner sipping.

"I don't drink any more.  Don't drink any less, either."

"I don't drink nuthin' stronger'n Pop--but that ol' sumbitch'll drink anything."

"The difference between a drunk and an alcoholic?  Us drunks don't have to go to all those meetings."

"Doc told me if I didn't quit drinkin', I'd go deaf.  I told him I liked what I'm drinkin' a lot better'n what I'm hearin'.  Besides, there're a lot more old drunks than there are old doctors."

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Norton

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 05:37:03 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
D'oh.....how'd I forget about the Woodford Reserve?  I bought a bottle of this on lark, looking for something new.  It is as smooth as it gets

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Favorite Libations
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006, 06:45:19 AM »
Quote from: Norton
Quote from: Art Eatman
D'oh.....how'd I forget about the Woodford Reserve?  I bought a bottle of this on lark, looking for something new.  It is as smooth as it gets
Woodford is very good.  My brother has toured the distillary several times.  The only reason I dont buy more of it (other than price) is that at the distillary they have a letter from Clinton thanking them for the bottle and talking about how he drank some after dinner etc etc.
I usually drink Very Old Barton 80 proof.  Yeah, downmarket I know but I like the flavor and the price is right.  A good value, imo.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Favorite Libations
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 08:21:01 AM »
Newcastle brown ale.  Almost daily.
It's the elixir of life.

I have to admit to feeling a bit 'strange', down here in Mayberry, RFD.  
Probably 70% of the populus are maniacally Southern Baptist, and at least present themselves in public as teetotallers.  
20% are either malt liquor and ripple, or rolled up sleeves, pickup trucks, Budweiser & NASCAR.
5% are undocumented aliens, four feet tall and living 40 to a house.

That leaves the other 5%, a largely unknown quantity made up of a few hemp-wearing hippies, a few korean and hindu families from India,

...and me.  Big white guy, gun nut, drinks imported ale, Glenlivet and Laphroaig, ringer for John Goodman, basically best described in this community as "you ain't from 'round here, are ya, boy?" rolleyes

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Favorite Libations
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006, 09:58:00 AM »
Beer:

If its for home, 99% of the time its Paulaner's Salvator.  Dark, but not much of the bitter tones that make up Guiness and the like.  If Paulaner is not available, I'll usually just do without.

If its a get together like playing cards, I'll grab something different that we've not had before.  Usually it works out fine, 'cept for that one Maple flavor beer I got a few years ago.

Distilled Spirits:

Usually a single-malt Scotch Whisky.  

Wine:

Not a big fan of grape wine.  I am developing a fondness for Saki however.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.