Author Topic: Favorite Libations  (Read 5841 times)

thebaldguy

• friends
Favorite Libations
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 04:01:54 PM »
I found a nice burbon years ago called Old Heaven Hill. It's 8 years old, tastes great, and the price is under $10 a liter. I also like good rum too. I even got a bottle of Cuban rum years ago as a gift.

I used to be a really big microbrew fan. I still drink Summit Pale Ale, but not too many others these days. I think I got "beered out" years ago. I still like Miller High Life once in a while, and usually have some in the fridge.

Favorite Libations
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 04:12:59 PM »
"Doc told me if I didn't quit drinkin', I'd go deaf.  I told him I liked what I'm drinkin' a lot better'n what I'm hearin'.  Besides, there're a lot more old drunks than there are old doctors."
think willy nelson said something to that effect once Wink

Its summer, make mine either a Mojito or vodka tonic (made with ketle one)

as for beer, pass the Shiners!

Big_R

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »
I guess my favorite beer is whatever's available and cold.  Tonight I found a place that has Fosters pints for $2.00.  Can't beat that.

Hard Liquor wise, I really like Bison Grass vodka, from Poland.  Serve very cold and straight up or mix with apple juice.  I have a friend from Poland that turned my on to it.  Yummy.

Ryan

Art Eatman

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 06:13:50 PM »
Baus44, I first heard that line at the old Chequered Flag folk music club in Austin around 1967 or 68.  The line is probably older than Willie and I put together, though.

I was shocked when I learned he's a year older than I am.  I've known him (very casually) since 1971; he's not looking 73 so much as damned near 83 or more.  Rough life.  Late hours and nose candy will do that to a fella.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2006, 09:07:17 PM »
Beer:
Fat Tire
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Karl Strauss Stargazer IPA
Karl Strauss Red Trolley
Karl Strauss Endless Summer

Iain

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006, 01:59:06 AM »
Quote from: Big_R
I guess my favorite beer is whatever's available and cold.  Tonight I found a place that has Fosters pints for $2.00.  Can't beat that.
Yes you can. You guys pay about $3 a gallon for gas right? That'd beat Fosters hands down.

Deuchars IPA is worth keeping an eye out for.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
Favorite Libations
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 03:55:41 AM »
MILK, fresh from the farm, about the hardest I drink is my own version of 1911tuner's turbocoffee or MT dew.
Brian
<><
:)

Chris

Favorite Libations
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2006, 05:23:55 AM »
In beer, I'm pretty much open to whatever you're serving, though I have a preference for the ambers.  I started with tequila when I turned 21, with a like for tequila sunrise (not a bad flick, either).  When I decided I needed a grown-up drink for lawyer parties and such, I developed a taste for good vodka straight up, on ice, with a wedge of lime or lemon.  Currently nursing a bottle of Red Army, which has a cool bottle (shaped like a rifle cartridge).  Other than that, Grey Goose is good, and Absolut will do.  I also like finding unusual small batch vodkas.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Favorite Libations
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2006, 05:26:45 AM »
Beer:

Spotted Cow
Miller Lite
PBR
Old Millwaukee
Boulevard Wheat
Millstream Wheat
Dinkey (Wheat beer brewed by local beer pub)
Old Style
St Paulie Girl
Blue Moon
Fat Tire
Juengling
Boulevard Pale Ale
Bass Ale
Guiness

Wine
any white spicy wine
Penot Grigio
Shiraz

Spirts

Patron on the rocks
Jim Beam (with sprite)
Makers Mark on the rocks
Crown Royal on the rocks
Southern Comfort on the rocks
Old Fashioned
Manhatten
dirty vodka martini
blue martini
magarita on the rocks

Non boozy

Fresh milk, right from the cow, ran through a paper filter and brought to 38 degrees
Sun tea non lemon or sugar
homemade lemonade

Food

Tombstone Pizza
Grilled Iowa Chops
Ziti with Chicken
85% lean handmade burger off the grill with swiss and cheddar cheese, pickle, letuce, onion tomato and catsup/mustard on white bread.
Pulled Pork sandwich with coldslw and dill pickles on it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

...has left the building.

Favorite Libations
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2006, 08:28:19 AM »
I generally like a wide variety of stuff from mixed drinks to single malts...basically everything except wine. But lately I have been drinking beer exclusively. The last one I had was Warsteiner. Yum.

Big_R

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
Quote from: Iain
Quote from: Big_R
Yes you can. You guys pay about $3 a gallon for gas right? That'd beat Fosters hands down.

Deuchars IPA is worth keeping an eye out for.
Well, I guess you're right, although the latter leaves a bitter aftertaste, and don't ask me about that time I lit that cigarette.

Ryan

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Favorite Libations
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »
Somebody earlier had mentioned Rolling Rock, so I bought a 12pk this afternoon along with stocking up on Newcastle, JW Dundee's Honey Brown, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Rolling Rock, shivering cold, goes down real nice on a 96 degree day in this Al-Obammo outpost.

With the above-listed haul, I'm good to go for at least a day or two.  Wink

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2006, 07:13:34 AM »
Pabst Blue Ribbon, baby!

Actually, I'm not too fond of the feeling of intoxication.  When I drink it's because I like the taste of the drink, not because I want the alcohol.  I haven't found a beer I truly like (there are a few I tolerate, mostly local microbrews) nor any mixed drink that's worth the time of day.

I like single malt scotches.  I like variety, and I'll try something new over something I've had before.  Glennfiddich is my pick when they don't have anything new to try.

I've enjoyed a few really tastey wines over the years, but I can't remember what they were or how to find them again.  The same goes for some bourbons and congacs.  Oh well, it's no great loss.

Favorite Libations
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2006, 12:33:49 PM »
no crap, Art??  thats too cool.  Aside from being really politically obnoxious, willy nelson is awesome.

w turner

Favorite Libations
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2006, 12:43:36 PM »
Beer

Bud Light- nope not a beer snob at all
Heffeweizen, but only if I can get it out of the tap
Yuengling
Pabst Blue Ribbon when I can find it
Woodchuck Hard Cider (Granny Smith or regular)

Wine

Never found any I like enough to buy

Spirits

Old Mill Golden Rum with a splash of coke
Jack Daniel's No. 7 with a splash of coke
Skyy Vodka over a single cube of ice
Jack Daniel's Singel Barrel neat
White Russian

Don't really care for any kind of malt beverages including Zima, Smirnoff twisters or anything similar

W

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Favorite Libations
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2006, 12:52:17 PM »
kind of crazy all of the PBR fans here....

Pheasant opener of 04 a buddy of mine and me loaded up our dogs and shotguns to head up to north central Iowa to hunt a college buddy of mine's family farm.

It happened to be Halloween weekend so we hunted pretty hard that day and my college buddy decided that we need to stay Saturday night and head up town with him. Well the first bar we went to had PBR in bottles, the buddy I brought hunting just flipped a top when I came back from the bar holding a long neck of PBR, other buddy just turned up his nose. Then we scowled at him then proceeded to try and drink the bar out of PBR.

Made for a pretty rough day the next day trying to hunt.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2006, 03:48:12 PM »
Bourbon Old Fashioned with a stick of cinnamon, hold the fruit.
Wild Turkey, neat.

Glenlivet, neat or on the rocks

Rob Roy with a  twist

VSOP or XO cognac

And my favorite---RedBreast Irish Whiskey, neat or on the rocks.

Any kind of beer, ice cold, with malty overtones.  I really can't stand
many of the hoppy beers.  Too bitter for me.  Black and tan is fun.

Bohemia, a Mexican beer.  But only in Mexico.  Whatever they export under that name is not the same stuff.  Smells like a swamp but has a delightful taste and provides a smiley buzz.

I like the sweeter white wines, especially late harvest Reisling.  We have some excellent wineries is Michigan, especially up in the Leelanau Penninsula a couple hours north of me.  Leelanau Cellars has some delightful wines.   I have been known to fortify some of the whites with a splash of VSOP brandy for a little body and enhanced taste.
One of my pals makes a variety of wines.  Does a nice job, especially with some of the blends he comes up with.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mgdavis

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2006, 08:08:16 PM »
I've been drinking a lot of Weinhard's lately, Private Reserve, Northwest Trail, Blue Boar and Heffeweisen all taste good to me. The other night I had Blue Moon. It was ok with the orange, got better the more I had. Right now I can't remember what I like as far as liquor goes. I do enjoy Bailey's though.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
Favorite Libations
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2006, 06:07:04 AM »
I live within walking distance of a nice micro-brewery in Kansas City.  Their brewer makes an IPA that is ultra-hoppy, bitter, with an occasional nitrogen head in cask strength.

Yes sir, I like beer that sears my eyebrows while drinking, I just cannot help it.  Smiley

From stores?  Fosters makes a fine bitter that comes in a huge, green, oil can: if anyone else is old enough to recall oil cans.
Zeke

Big_R

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2006, 04:28:28 PM »
Quote from: Ezekiel
I live within walking distance of a nice micro-brewery in Kansas City.  Their brewer makes an IPA that is ultra-hoppy, bitter, with an occasional nitrogen head in cask strength.

Yes sir, I like beer that sears my eyebrows while drinking, I just cannot help it.  Smiley

From stores?  Fosters makes a fine bitter that comes in a huge, green, oil can: if anyone else is old enough to recall oil cans.
You know what's amazing is in Miami, you can buy those "oil cans" right at the local stop and rob.  Sometimes traveling for work isn't so bad.

Ryan

mtnbkr

• friend
Favorite Libations
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2006, 04:51:43 PM »
I like most beers that don't come from Anheiser Busch (Miller High Life, ICE cold is great while camping).  My taste in beer runs from white trash to yuppy depending on the circumstances and my taste at the moment.  I do like a heavy ale or stout served slightly cooler than room temperature.  A good barleywine is a rare and guilty pleasure.  Unfortunately, "good" barleywines are hard to find.  A local microbrewery once made a great one, but hasn't made a batch since that I'm aware of.  I bug them every time I go there.

I like most red wines and a very few white ones.  I'm especially fond of Virginia wines for some reason.  They're not necessarily the best, but they're "ours".

I can do without champagne and sparkling wines.  I'll drink them, but I rarely buy them.

I like rum and tequila straight or mixed.  Me, a buddy, and a girl at a party once downed a fifth of Jose Cuervo 1800 and many beers.  Somehow, I didn't wake up with even the slightest hangover.  I actually woke up feeling quite good in fact.  On my honeymoon, I lived off a diet of tequila sunrises and bar food served poolside during the day. Cheesy

I like a good gin if mixed with tonic water and a splash of lime.  If I'm buying, it's Bombay Saphire only.

I do not like vodka, scotch, whiskey, bourbon, etc.  I've tried them all in a variety of ways and found them all lacking.  I can tolerate Jamisons at deer camp because it's part of our "tradition", but I don't go out of the way for it.

Chris

Ryoushi

Favorite Libations
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2006, 01:01:53 PM »
Every payday I reward myself with a trip to the tavern.  I put $5.00 in the finest jukebox on the planet and order a shot of Cazadores Gold Tequilla and a pint of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with a wedge of lime on the side I toss the shot down while The Smithereens thunder out of the jukebox. I sip my beer as Lucinda Williams purrs "Fruits Of My Labor". Sweet baby indeed!  A little Ryan Adams, a little Los Lobos, some Black Crowes and Cracker, another pint of Sierra Nevada.

I leave what's left of my $20.00 for Kim the bartender because she gives me jukebox money and tells me the funniest, dirtiest jokes I've ever heard yet still manages to blush when I ask her if she kisses her momma with that mouth.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: Favorite Libations
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2007, 07:43:43 AM »
Tequila:  I've recently discovered Pancho Villa.  About the same price as Sauza or Cuervo, but much smoother for my tastes.

Fixin' to try bourbon and scotch, based on the recommendations I've seen on APS (this and other threads).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2007, 07:47:31 AM »
Gin & Tonic.

In fact, Memorial Day Weekend is the official start of Gin & Tonic season as far as I'm concerned.

I need tonic and limes...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2007, 08:01:21 AM »
RUM.

Appleton Reserve from Jamaica. Best domestically available sort of rum I've ever found. Aged in oak casts, very molasses-y scent, nice dark amber color, no artificial colorings. Excellent stuff.

Other than that, good sake. Rihaku "Dreamy Clouds" Nigori is a favorite of mine. And for beer, local craft brews, especially belgians and black-as-midnight stouts.

The only mass-market beers I can drink without literally spitting them out in disgust are Sam Adams and Guinness.