Author Topic: Another mid-size pickup is coming  (Read 5305 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Another mid-size pickup is coming
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/20/2015-chevrolet-colorado-revealed-diesel-la/

The Chevy Colorado is scheduled to hit the showrooms in fall of 2014.  Finally, some competition to the Frontier and the Tacoma.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Another mid-size pickup is coming
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
oh, mid sized diesel pickup.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
My grandfather has a 5cyl Colorado from the Mid-2000s.  Did they go away or something?

It seems to be an ok truck.  His is 2wd and he doesn't use it hard, so I don't have any anecdotal data regarding reliability or capability.

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »
Why do I suspect they will take something that could be really good and fark it all up...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
Why do I suspect they will take something that could be really good and fark it all up...

Yeah, I'm concerned they will take a $15K truck and have $10K worth of non-optional electronics on top of it.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:13:51 AM »
I don't like the current Colorados.  I can't imagine GM can make a diesel engine good enough to make me overcome dislike of the brand and the platform.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:05 AM »
Yeah, I'm concerned they will take a $25K truck and have $15K worth of non-optional electronics on top of it.

FIFY
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 12:22:07 PM »
Looks like it would be great for somebody that doesn't really need a pickup  ;/

All that fancy interior is just a pain in the butt for us bush folks  =(

I wish I could get something like those diesel Land Cruiser pickups that they sell in Australia.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 12:24:25 PM »
Looks like it would be great for somebody that doesn't really need a pickup  ;/

All that fancy interior is just a pain in the butt for us bush folks  =(

I wish I could get something like those diesel Land Cruiser pickups that they sell in Australia.

If the demand for a new pickup truck like that (with buyers), was there. Detroit would be kicking them out in mass numbers.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
If the demand for a new pickup truck like that (with buyers), was there. Detroit would be kicking them out in mass numbers.

Actually the demand is there.  Look at the UTV market.  People are buying those to fill the niche that used to be jeeps and utilitarian pickups.  But you just can't use them on the highway.

All the govt regulation for air bags etc is killing the basic pickup market.  The UTVs are getting around that - for now ....
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
I don't like the current Colorados.  I can't imagine GM can make a diesel engine good enough to make me overcome dislike of the brand and the platform.

Yep. I always saw the current colorados as fail.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »
The Colorado/Canyon 5 cylinder engine was a disappointment, which was too bad because Audi/VW and Honda know how to do 5 cylinder engines right.

I test drove a new Colorado a few years ago, and was thoroughly put off by both the exterior and interior design.

Hopefully, this new diesel Colorado with fresh sheet metal can revive things for GM.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »
Actually the demand is there.  Look at the UTV market.  People are buying those to fill the niche that used to be jeeps and utilitarian pickups.  But you just can't use them on the highway.

All the govt regulation for air bags etc is killing the basic pickup market.  The UTVs are getting around that - for now ....

UTV is not a pickup replacement, maybe small tractor replacement or upgrade from an ATV but not a pickup. That is like comparing apples to rhinoceros.

Uranus is a gas giant.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 02:28:21 PM »
10-15K for a UTV that you can't run down the highway. Economy soft or not there are still clearly people on the shut up and take my money program.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »
The Colorado/Canyon 5 cylinder engine was a disappointment, which was too bad because Audi/VW and Honda know how to do 5 cylinder engines right.
Yes, I wonder why they didn't use the 4.2L Straight-6 from the trailblazer/envoy line, which is a very solid, good performing engine.

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »
UTV is not a pickup replacement, maybe small tractor replacement or upgrade from an ATV but not a pickup. That is like comparing apples to rhinoceros.

I dunno ... would you want to drive a fancy pickup around in the brush hauling fence posts?

Some folks around here have them street legal (or not?) and drive them all over the neighborhood on the county and private roads.  They don't use their car or pickup at all except to go to town, or farther.

I would get one except I can't justify the cost, when I can get an old junker pickup for about $1500 including the repairs.

The way that UTVs are getting bigger and more powerful, they are getting right up into the small pickup range, except for top speed.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
I dunno ... would you want to drive a fancy pickup around in the brush hauling fence posts?

Some folks around here have them street legal (or not?) and drive them all over the neighborhood on the county and private roads.  They don't use their car or pickup at all except to go to town, or farther.

I would get one except I can't justify the cost, when I can get an old junker pickup for about $1500 including the repairs.

The way that UTVs are getting bigger and more powerful, they are getting right up into the small pickup range, except for top speed.

If I was a farmer/rancher, yes because the truck would have been a business expense/tool. As a outdoors person I drive my fancy pickup truck all over god's green earth, I also buy used with low miles and let the first owner put the 1st scratch on it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
Two things:
1) You'd think they would have a more aggressive and/or unnique look if they intend to go after Toyoate and Nissan. It looks plain as hell.
2) They should have a V8 option. People love hot rod trucks, and they do make the corvette and camaro...right. My Nissan accelerates like a bat out of hell, but I (and many other Frontier guys) would love to have the Titan motor in it. I don't haul brush and fence posts, I haul ass...well... And mulch.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »
Yes, I wonder why they didn't use the 4.2L Straight-6 from the trailblazer/envoy line, which is a very solid, good performing engine.

Youre talking about the 4.3 V6 which is an excellent engine.

What I dont understand is why I should buy a midsize pickup that gives me not much better mpg than a fullsize.

Also the new epa compliant diesels are *expletive deleted*ing nightmares...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
Youre talking about the 4.3 V6 which is an excellent engine.
The 4.3 is another good one, but the 4.2L is a straight -6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Atlas_engine

Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 06:38:46 PM »
The 4.3 is another good one, but the 4.2L is a straight -6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Atlas_engine

Gotcha.

Still not very optimistic about their diesel engine once they put all the stupid EPA required *expletive deleted*it on it...

Thanks EPA for hating diesels!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
If it came with a plain jane interior, manual windows and door locks, and the diesel I might be interested.  What are the odds Chevy is going to sell a Work Truck these days?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
If it came with a plain jane interior, manual windows and door locks, and the diesel I might be interested.  What are the odds Chevy is going to sell a Work Truck these days?

They say they have a "Work Truck" package, but what that means is not fully defined.  I know what it used to mean.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 07:13:18 PM »
They say they have a "Work Truck" package, but what that means is not fully defined.  I know what it used to mean.

You usually find what you think as a work truck in the 3/4 ton class.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 08:28:57 PM »
Looked at "work trucks" a few months back.  Could not find a half-ton with towing chops (mid-line motor & tranny vs entry-level) that also did not have power equipment I did not want.  Matter of fact, pricing & rebates made the similar non-work truck 1/2 ton variant cheaper. 

Very depressing.  As someone who likes to put ~200k on a vehicle, I wanted to minimize things like PW/PDL motors, carpet, power-this & that.  I got laughed at by one salesman when I said I wanted a manual transmission. 

The only real option was to go with the entry-level 3/4 ton work truck which gets crappier MPG.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton