Author Topic: If you see a story this friday for a Cessna falling out of the sky...  (Read 6387 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: If you see a story this friday for a Cessna falling out of the sky...
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2015, 11:24:54 AM »
Today's fun exchange:
"Ellington Ground, November 1-1-9-7-G." Student pilot
"November 1-1-9-7-G, Ellington Ground." Me
"Ground, N 1197G with information Uniform, is with you."  (No *expletive deleted*it *expletive deleted*ck wit, I think we just established two way communication.)
"N 97G, state the nature of your request."  trololol
"Ground, N 97G is ready to taxi." Annoyed instructor.
 :angel:

Does that answer your question, James?  :laugh:

Student pilots are students and most of us get that. Biggest thing is try and have an idea what you're going to say and why you're saying it before you take the freq.
Use proper radio phraseology.
And for the love of god, listen before you speak.  Maybe it's my pet peeve, but if you over key on someone already transmitting, I'm gonna yell at you (about the only reason I yell at pilots).
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »
Today's fun exchange:
"Ground, N 1197G with information Uniform, is with you."  (No *expletive deleted*it *expletive deleted*ck wit, I think we just established two way communication.)

Student pilots are students and most of us get that. Biggest thing is try and have an idea what you're going to say and why you're saying it before you take the freq.
And for the love of god, listen before you speak.  Maybe it's my pet peeve, but if you over key on someone already transmitting, I'm gonna yell at you (about the only reason I yell at pilots).

QFT.

Radio etiquette in simple form:
- listen for several seconds before transmitting
- speak slowly and clearly
- on initial contact state: who you are calling, who you are, where you are, and what you want.

I'm amazed at the number of airline pilots who can't do it right. Most of those are military guys.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
Same could be said for some ATCs.

"92Juliet *mumblemumble* turn *mumblefurble* runway *slurpwhisper* visibility *belchfart* atfive. "

Don't know what it's like now, but 30 years ago it was pretty bad in some places.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
Now that you've finished you flight I have only one question... how the he** did you fold your ovesized adz into a Cessna 150!?  :O

Brad

He was in a 172. A very sweet 2003 172S model.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2015, 12:51:27 PM »
Today's fun exchange:

The phrase with you drives me up the *expletive deleted*ing wall.

Along with, at an uncontrolled airport, saying "taking the active, landing on the active, etc"

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2015, 01:21:29 PM »
He was in a 172. A very sweet 2003 172S model.

Okay, so maybe not a "vaseline and a crowbar" situation but I'm guessing there was still a fair bit of grunting, swearing, and a helpful shove or two.  =D

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »
Now that you've finished you flight I have only one question... how the he** did you fold your ovesized adz into a Cessna 150!?  :O

Brad

I removed the front seat and sat in the back.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2015, 10:36:39 PM »
I was nice to a controller once- and a 727 pilot.  Was cleared for landing ahead of the 727 who was 10 miles out on final. The controller then realized the 727 was gonna have to go around because I was about 200 knots slower..... so he kept asking me if I wanted to go around, and finally I got the picture and said yes. OK- the heavy thanked me.   

So after going around, there I am on short final after a 727- too damn close- that was the day the words "wake turbulence" got burned into my brain. About 20-30 feet off the ground, I hit the wake- it took full aileron right, then left then right, then left to keep the wings level- the yoke was bouncing off the stops, but it kept the wing tip from hitting the runway.

I was a little puzzled the controller did not give a little heads up regarding separation.   my first crosscountry as a student pilot.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2015, 10:11:38 AM »
This is the plane i didn't crash

http://www.lonestarflyers.com/N383TC.html
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »
I was nice to a controller once- and a 727 pilot.  Was cleared for landing ahead of the 727 who was 10 miles out on final. The controller then realized the 727 was gonna have to go around because I was about 200 knots slower..... so he kept asking me if I wanted to go around, and finally I got the picture and said yes. OK- the heavy thanked me.   

So after going around, there I am on short final after a 727- too damn close- that was the day the words "wake turbulence" got burned into my brain. About 20-30 feet off the ground, I hit the wake- it took full aileron right, then left then right, then left to keep the wings level- the yoke was bouncing off the stops, but it kept the wing tip from hitting the runway.

I was a little puzzled the controller did not give a little heads up regarding separation.   my first crosscountry as a student pilot.

First, a 727 isn't a heavy.  It is classified as a large.

You should have gotten a "caution wake turbulence".  There is no separation required for you landing a C172 VFR behind a large (well, except a clear runway). 
A lot of ATC is contingent on the pilot taking responsibility for the aircraft.  I'm assuming after the go around, you circled back to a base turn and follwed the 727?  Because once you say "in sight" and you're cleared to land following, we are taught YOU will take the appropriate wake turbulence precautions.
Touching down beyond the point the preceding aircraft touched down is your best bet, FWIW.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »
Now that you've finished you flight I have only one question... how the he** did you fold your ovesized adz into a Cessna 150!?

My granddad, at 6'3" and somewhere around 250 pounds, took me to pick up some parts in Abilene in a 150.  (This one, actually.  Why the hell can I remember a tail number from 26 years ago?)  I was about 12 at the time, and there was barely enough room for the two of us in there.  After that, we took the 172 when we needed to go somewhere, and he pretty much decided the best way for a guy his size to fly a 150 was to sit in the middle across both seats and and just use the outside pedals of both sides.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2015, 12:08:35 PM »
I can still remember the tail numbers for the plane I soloed in (150J) and both of Dad's planes (9252J and 5350C).

Brad
-HankB

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2015, 12:40:54 PM »
I dont know if there's any way to afford this just yet. It may have to wait a while. Grrr
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »
Mexican registry is X-A, B, and C.  A is general aviation usually, B is for hire/air charter, and C is military/gov.
XAASS was flying the other day out of HOU....
JD