Author Topic: Road rage, dealing with. Avoiding the stupid, how to.  (Read 7669 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Road rage, dealing with. Avoiding the stupid, how to.
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 11:03:49 AM »
The dumb one was once tossing the contents of a full soda out the window while being tailgated.  Completely smothering the offenders window.
A woman.  She lost her *expletive deleted*it and did the pass and squat for a few miles.

This is why holes in the floorboard can be handy; at highway speeds, it gets liquids to that mist state that's so extra annoying because it's just not wet enough for the wipers to handle properly, but plenty wet to be really hard to see through even before the wipers smear it around.  I'm thinking about installing a funnel in place of one of the cup holders in the Saturn, leading to a small hole in the floor pan.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »
At a busy traffic light I can see the tension.  We have one here where the left turn signal is far too short.  During peak hours, only about 1/3 of the cars trying to make that turn get through.  The folks queued up for the turn lane end up blocking traffic in the through lanes because the turn lane is full.  They don't have a choice but to block traffic, if they miss that turn all the options afterwards to make the left turn are even worse.  An idiot not paying attention at the light means multiple people don't make it through.  It's hard not getting a little road ragey on those folks.

A bunch of us are working on the state and city to fix it, either increase the time allocated to the turn or even better figure out a bypass to redirect some traffic.  It's complicated because the road is technically a highway.

What really gets me sometimes is getting cut off by somebody who is going to go slower than me.  Then we get to a traffic light and that person sneaks through on the yellow and I have to stop.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
At a busy traffic light I can see the tension.  We have one here where the left turn signal is far too short.  During peak hours, only about 1/3 of the cars trying to make that turn get through.  The folks queued up for the turn lane end up blocking traffic in the through lanes because the turn lane is full.  They don't have a choice but to block traffic, if they miss that turn all the options afterwards to make the left turn are even worse.

I go through one of those every day on the way home from work- usually 3-5 cars in queue, and only 1 or 2 get through per left turn arrow. Almost as you described it- left turners from cross traffic cheat out into the intersection at red lights blocking the people with the current green left turn arrow until they clear out. Worse is when there is gridlock and idiots cheat out into the intersection with nowhere to go as the light turns red- this only increases gridlock.

My biggest pet peeve is what I call the 'entitlement lane'- people rolling up to a red light in the parking lane instead of acting like a normal adjusted adult and waiting in line 3 cars back. They end up causing a jam up as they get through the intersection using the parking lane then having to cut someone off up ahead because of a parked car in their way. This is the exact same thing as cutting in line at a grocery store.Some people would have no shame in doing that either, but its much easier (and safer) to cut in front of angry 250lb white guy using a SUV on the street versus in person at the grocery store.

People DO have a choice not to block traffic, but too many people are selfish aholes who think that getting somewhere 1 minute quicker is more important than everyone else's safety or time.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
This is more like 30 cars in queue

I guess I didn't explain the no choice part very well, this intersection is right after a bridge.  There are no left turn lights for several blocks after the intersection and there are no good local access roads to work back to the original cross street on even after using one of those later lights.  It's all filtering through residential neighborhoods and roundabouts.

Plus - the super wallmart is right at this intersection and anyone coming from the south side of town trying to go there needs to make this left turn which really doesn't help.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »
There were a number of left turn lights like that in Clear Lake, TX when I used to live there.  I would beep at people quickly if I could see they weren't paying attention.  Usually, the person who wasn't paying attention would make it through the light, but the follow up cars wouldn't.  I don't think I ever had anyone rage if I beeped them in that situation. 

The only time I really had anyone go close to rage is when I flipped them off.  I don't do that anymore.  It isn't worth the potential agravation.  Plus, I don't want to even be close to the one that started it if it turns into a mess.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 01:14:55 PM »
I've learned to shrug off a-hole drivers, I see a rager at least once a week. Its gotten even worse since I bought a car that is typically stereotyped as a 'liberal's car.' I used to give a 'happy retard wave' to people who gave me the finger because it almost always enrages them more, but I don't even bother doing that anymore.

Teehee
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2015, 10:26:15 AM »
...there are a lot of people out there just sort of hanging on, with a huge internal problem, and any perceived  slight, is enough to give them an excuse to erupt. They can't afford to let it out to their boss, or their wife, or anyone else they know, and it builds and builds , and any stranger becomes fair game, and  in their car they feel anonymous enough to let go. After the rage takes over for a couple of seconds,, they are so pumped with adrenaline they will do anything.

So much truth here.  I've never been a cool cucumber, yet have kept from getting my butt kicked and out of jail.  As I age, and the adrenal dump begins, after a few inappropriate thoughts or signals of impending doom, I can usually defer to a higher power, such as logic, a manager, some god, or the police. 
Not everyone needs to boost their testosterone level.
 :old:
7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »
From the other perspective, if you have "ragers" getting mad at you very often, you might consider thinking about your own driving habits.  For every "rager" that lets you know about it, there are probably 100 drivers who don't.  Just something to consider.    :angel:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »
Its gotten even worse since I bought a car that is typically stereotyped as a 'liberal's car.'

I've seen that too.  When I drive my lesbian wagon it seems there is a higher incidence, plus bro-dozers tend to cut me off more.  Drive the land cruiser, folks seem better behaved.  Drive the pickup, people tend to get out of my way because I look like I have no insurance and nothing to lose.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »
From the other perspective, if you have "ragers" getting mad at you very often, you might consider thinking about your own driving habits.  For every "rager" that lets you know about it, there are probably 100 drivers who don't.  Just something to consider.    :angel:

Yeah, no.
For the last 8 years I drove home on a different stretch of freeway and a longer drive, rarely had problems. I moved recently and use a different stretch of freeway to get home, and aggressive driving is at least 10x as bad, to the point where I doubt that I'll be riding my motorcycle to work come spring. Must be something in the drinking water...
I had a guy tailgating me in a fricken prius yesterday-  in the right lane. He couldn't have been more than 1' off my rear bumper, and it wasn't like I had a lane I could move over to or room ahead of me to speed up.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 12:58:45 PM »
I've seen that too.  When I drive my lesbian wagon it seems there is a higher incidence, plus bro-dozers tend to cut me off more.  

There was a guy with little man syndrome in a dodge ram last week that nearly ran me off the road.
Like I said earlier- people act a lot more aggressively in vehicles than they would ever consider doing in person.

Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »
Yeah, no.
For the last 8 years I drove home on a different stretch of freeway and a longer drive, rarely had problems. I moved recently and use a different stretch of freeway to get home, and aggressive driving is at least 10x as bad, to the point where I doubt that I'll be riding my motorcycle to work come spring. Must be something in the drinking water...
I had a guy tailgating me in a fricken prius yesterday-  in the right lane. He couldn't have been more than 1' off my rear bumper, and it wasn't like I had a lane I could move over to or room ahead of me to speed up.

This especially gives me the willies when I am on my bicycles or the motorcycle.  The only crumple zones are my legs.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 01:36:06 PM »

As if he could.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2015, 01:37:45 PM »
I've seen that too.  When I drive my lesbian wagon it seems there is a higher incidence, plus bro-dozers tend to cut me off more.  Drive the land cruiser, folks seem better behaved.  Drive the pickup, people tend to get out of my way because I look like I have no insurance and nothing to lose.

The car for city driving is a 20 + year old full size pickup, with dents, rust, and a bumper replaced with a railroad tie.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »
The car for city driving is a 20 + year old full size pickup, with dents, rust, and a bumper replaced with a railroad tie.

Well - other than the railroad tie you described my truck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 02:34:34 PM »
There were a lot of guys in the area I grew up with those big homemade deer guard bumpers.  Little cars bounce off of them.  I knew a guy in college that had a 6" pipe as a rear bumper.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 03:03:39 PM »

Well - other than the railroad tie you described my truck.

Mine.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
Yeah, no.
I had a guy tailgating me in a fricken prius yesterday-  in the right lane. He couldn't have been more than 1' off my rear bumper, and it wasn't like I had a lane I could move over to or room ahead of me to speed up.

One of the many reasons I leave my drop pintle hitch in even if I'm not planning on towing something.  It's a big, rusty steel incentive to not tailgate me.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 09:26:29 PM »
There were a lot of guys in the area I grew up with those big homemade deer guard bumpers.  Little cars bounce off of them.  I knew a guy in college that had a 6" pipe as a rear bumper.

This is texas, home of the big ass bumper

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2015, 11:35:22 PM »
This is texas, home of the big ass bumper

I didn't know that Kar-dashin' gal was from Texas!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2015, 01:21:18 AM »
I don't even get mad at road rage people, but I have intentionally hit other vehicles. Proud of the BMW wheel mark on my door. My goal nowadays is to not escalate anything, I'm armed and everyone else in the world has a camera. I refuse to tailgate. My goal on the road is that no one else has to change what they are doing. I do not include in that the moron that slams on the brakes when I pass them in a two-lane passing zone. Sorry buddy, I knew I was going to pass you here 2 miles ago and anything you do right now is moot I've got enough speed to get it done. My one bad behavior now is mistreatment of left lane donkeys on the interstate. Can't help it, they are wrecking people 2 miles behind them.

There was a guy with little man syndrome in a dodge ram last week that nearly ran me off the road.
Like I said earlier- people act a lot more aggressively in vehicles than they would ever consider doing in person.

Telephone tough-guy syndrome. Interests me, how the car becomes a psychological conduit.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2015, 01:32:34 AM »
The single most infuriating thing to me is when the *expletive deleted*ing idiot in the lane you are trying to get into tries to match your speed and hide in your blind spot to cause you to wreck or prevent you from merging (I've actually had them be back a couple car lengths and when I put my blinker on they slam the gas to catch up and block me). Fortunately I have my mirrors set properly so as to minimize my blind spots as much as possible and I see them.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2015, 03:51:23 AM »
The single most infuriating thing to me is when the *expletive deleted*ing idiot in the lane you are trying to get into tries to match your speed and hide in your blind spot to cause you to wreck or prevent you from merging (I've actually had them be back a couple car lengths and when I put my blinker on they slam the gas to catch up and block me). Fortunately I have my mirrors set properly so as to minimize my blind spots as much as possible and I see them.

I set my mirrors in a similar fashion. In urban driving I do not signal lane changes, that's the invitation for the moron. I know where my hole is and the relative speeds of what is in my target lane. One exception, in 3+ lanes I signal if anyone is two lanes away from me and may want the same hole.

I've also had occasion to tow large heavy trailers on I-95. You have to signal, no acceleration to match holes. So, once I see an opportunity to move over I signal and wait for those abreast to clear me. Once they do, I start moving to the lane. If you, said *expletive deleted*ing idiot, have sped up to block me that's nice, but I am still coming. I leave it to *expletive deleted*ing idiot to do the math. I've got a 7K lb pick-up pulling 28 feet and 12K of trailer.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2015, 07:52:50 AM »
Last night's brain surgeon:
Pulling up an on-ramp to merge.  Guy ahead of me accelerating for once.  And then hits the end of the on ramp and slams on his brakes.   :facepalm:  60 to 40 like that.
WITH NOBODY COMING UP TO MERGE WITH.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
Did you know thast you can get excellent dash cameras from Amazon for relaatively dirt cheap?  I've got something similar to this http://www.amazon.com/2-5-inch-Monitor-Dashboard-Accident-RECORDER/dp/B005680BX2/ref=sr_1_71?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1426361894&sr=1-71&keywords=dash+camera but in 1080P.  One mounted on the windshie;d right below the rear view mirror and one in the bottom right corner of the rear window.  Records to the SD card in 15-minute blocks with something like 25 blocks before it begins overwriting block #1.  Good picture without much wide-angle distortion but yes it does that annoying thing with the window wipers.  It can be swiveled to cover either front side window.

I've never seen the sort of driving/accidents the Russians seem to deal with on a daily basis but it is satisfying that should something happen there will be something other than he said/she said for the cops and insurance company to use in determining why I was not at fault.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.