Author Topic: Road rage, dealing with. Avoiding the stupid, how to.  (Read 7667 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Road rage, dealing with. Avoiding the stupid, how to.
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2015, 04:23:06 PM »
With the increased idiocy I'm considering getting a Falcon Zero unit at around $120. Seems to be rated better than the el cheapo units around the $30 mark.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2015, 05:39:56 PM »
Today's brain surgeon
One way frontage road, three lanes.  Left exit to the freeway.  I go to the left lane about 50 yards behind said brain surgeon, blinker on.  I accelerate towards said on ramp exit.  Literally as the on ramp comes up, brain surgeon attempts to merge with me (mid sized car vs. my F150), sans blinker.  I honk.  He has to slam on his brakes, because there is no way he's A) getting over, B) making the on ramp at his present rate of about 50mph.  I get the finger from brain surgeon.
1) Plan your *expletive deleted*ing exit ahead of time.  If you miss it, double back or take the next one.  Swerving to make an exit is poor planning on your part.
2) Use your blinker.  I generally slow down and let blinker users over.
3)  My horn prevented an imminent collision you seemed hell bent on causing.  I know where you can insert your finger.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »
Did you know thast you can get excellent dash cameras from Amazon for relaatively dirt cheap?  I've got something similar to this http://www.amazon.com/2-5-inch-Monitor-Dashboard-Accident-RECORDER/dp/B005680BX2/ref=sr_1_71?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1426361894&sr=1-71&keywords=dash+camera but in 1080P.  One mounted on the windshie;d right below the rear view mirror and one in the bottom right corner of the rear window.  Records to the SD card in 15-minute blocks with something like 25 blocks before it begins overwriting block #1.  Good picture without much wide-angle distortion but yes it does that annoying thing with the window wipers.  It can be swiveled to cover either front side window.

Might have to look into a pair of those.  Whoever designed it actually put some thought into it by having the lens come out the little side; way too many of them have it on the big side so your end up with a 3x5" chunk of your view blocked.

It says auto start at power on, but will it auto start upon receiving power, (i.e. plugged into a switched 12V line so it's always running when the car is on) or does it have to be turned on manually each time?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »
Today's brain surgeon
One way frontage road, three lanes.  Left exit to the freeway.  I go to the left lane about 50 yards behind said brain surgeon, blinker on.  I accelerate towards said on ramp exit.  Literally as the on ramp comes up, brain surgeon attempts to merge with me (mid sized car vs. my F150), sans blinker.  I honk.  He has to slam on his brakes, because there is no way he's A) getting over, B) making the on ramp at his present rate of about 50mph.  I get the finger from brain surgeon.
1) Plan your *expletive deleted*ing exit ahead of time.  If you miss it, double back or take the next one.  Swerving to make an exit is poor planning on your part.
2) Use your blinker.  I generally slow down and let blinker users over.
3)  My horn prevented an imminent collision you seemed hell bent on causing.  I know where you can insert your finger.
You can't just expect drivers to do a head check before changing lanes or be aware of other vehicles around them.  That is just completely unreasonable.   =D

Changing lanes and merging is easy if you think ahead, but many don't based on my observation.  I cannot count how many people I have seen on the highway that will run right up behind a slower driver, hit the brakes, then decide to change lanes, then accelerate again.  There was either an open lane or room to pass the whole time.  A simple lane change would have avoided all that.  I see it repeated all the time.  I wonder sometimes if it is a complete lack of depth perception with some drivers.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

erictank

• friends
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 09:04:53 AM »
You can't just expect drivers to do a head check before changing lanes or be aware of other vehicles around them.  That is just completely unreasonable.   =D

Changing lanes and merging is easy if you think ahead, but many don't based on my observation.  I cannot count how many people I have seen on the highway that will run right up behind a slower driver, hit the brakes, then decide to change lanes, then accelerate again.  There was either an open lane or room to pass the whole time.  A simple lane change would have avoided all that.  I see it repeated all the time.  I wonder sometimes if it is a complete lack of depth perception with some drivers.

I'm pretty sure it's that most people won't look further ahead than the bumper of the vehicle in front of them. I can't count the number of times I've seen people swerve out of the lane I was in to try and jump ahead via a gap (to either side), with me travelling at the same speed as the lane of traffic ahead of me. If they're lucky, they can swerve right back in behind me when the lane I'm in catches up to and passes them, because we were moving faster than traffic in that other lane all along.

There was one guy several months ago who was BOUND and determined to get ahead of me on the Beltway. Heavy traffic moving under posted speed in the afternoon rush, and he comes on, gets in behind me (at prevailing speed in the far-left lane) and proceeds to tailgate me, I'm pretty sure LITERALLY 6 inches off my bumper, under the delusion that would get him where he was going faster. We were already moving slightly faster than all other lanes, and ain't NO ONE was going anywhere any faster. Over the next several miles, dude proceeded to swerve in and out of the lane trying to get past me, sometimes falling a few car lengths back, sometimes able to recover and get back in behind me, but there literally was NO WAY he was going to be able to pass me - miracle of miracle, the far-left lane actually WAS the fast lane, that day. I watch him go shooting off to the right, making it across the entire width of the Beltway into an exit lane, and figure I'd seen the last of him, as all traffic came to a stop. Probably took about 5 full minutes to get past that exit. As we made it around the curve after that exit, I see... same freakin' idiot swinging all the way over from the off-ramp (having gone over the solid lane lines of the off-ramp to do it) and laboriously working his way back over, visibly frothing at the mouth. To slot in right behind me again, where he could just have stayed all along.

I literally laughed out loud over that. Pretty sure he saw me, and I didn't care one bit.

He shot off to the right again almost immediately thereafter, fell behind ( :rofl:), and I never saw him again.

Re: blinker use in these parts - I too will make an effort to accommodate someone using their signals, either speeding up to get past or hitting my brakes to open a gap for them. Don't use a signal when trying to break into an existing lane of traffic? Why, that means you want to follow THAT lane, not be in MINE, right?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 09:44:18 AM »
That is why I like my F150.  I can actually see ahead in heavy traffic most of the time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 10:09:32 AM »
...'happy retard wave'...

Works for me!

A memory I have stored for future reference:  A 'rager in an econobox tried to cut off an old Belchfire V8 that appeared to have already been in a demolition derby and won.  The 'rager became a participant in a PIT maneuver=D I enjoyed providing witness info for that one but was never called.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2015, 10:16:26 AM »
Might have to look into a pair of those.  Whoever designed it actually put some thought into it by having the lens come out the little side; way too many of them have it on the big side so your end up with a 3x5" chunk of your view blocked.

It says auto start at power on, but will it auto start upon receiving power, (i.e. plugged into a switched 12V line so it's always running when the car is on) or does it have to be turned on manually each time?

Plugged into the 12-volt siocket that is powered by the turning of the ignition key - comes on when the ignition is turned to either  the AUX or ON positions.  Goes off after about a 15-second delay when the ignition switch is turned OFF.

The Gimpmobile is blessed with a set of auxilliary power sockets along the driver-side wall behind the second row of seats.  Makes it easier to run the power cord to the camera mounted on the rear windshield.  Guy I know who drives a Subaru Forrester had enough cord to run clipped under the dash, up in front of the windshield pillar, along the roofline, and then back down to the camera.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »

Off topic, but I find it mildly amusing that many, many years ago, it was part of Benny Hill's comedy routine to wear his hat sideways, and that it was considered a joke and not fashion.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 11:41:24 AM »
Some of those cameras can be wired into the power supply for auto dimming mirrors. Most of the good radar detectors out there as well. That way there's no wire draped all over the place, and you can still use your lighter to charge your phone etc. The best way I've seen of dealing with these mental midgets who aren't actually aware that anyone else is on the road is train horns. We installed a set on my buddy's Ford 250 work van about 10 years ago. Its great seeing how fast someone snaps to attention when 140db of car vibrating honk goes off as they try to merge into the side of you. If there was room for all the hardware I'd have a set on my car; but under the hood is just too packed as it is. Apparently the newest thing is cruise ship horns. They could be fun too.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2015, 04:28:05 PM »
Off topic, but I find it mildly amusing that many, many years ago, it was part of Benny Hill's comedy routine to wear his hat sideways, and that it was considered a joke and not fashion.

The last few trips to the VA I've seen guys older than me with both sagging pants and flat-brim hats turned sideways.  (And they are being squired around by what looks like their adult kids and/or older grandkids (who are having similar problems with their clothing).

It it were not for the hat I woud have a completely different supposition for the condition of the pants.

Back in the day  :old: ;/ kids grew up in a gang and "graduated" into the alumni where they might retain identification but except for certain social functions (reunions, funerals mostly) did not wear the gang-identifying clothing.  They did bring their kids into the gang, but not dressing them in colors/jackets as pre-toddlers.  Nowdays I would not be surprized to learn there is a cottage industry coloring ultrasounds to show the speck wearing colors.

(BTW - what  ever happened to sateen gang jackets?)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2015, 04:59:55 PM »
I was a "victim of road rage Saturday. I was on a 2 lane highway going about 57 in a 55 mph. A lone motorcycle dude comes up behind me a 1/4 mile before my turnoff onto a township road a mile from home. I gave plenty of signal for turn and brakes and cleared my lane as soon as reasonable with no oncoming traffic. I had the window down and I hear some yelling and I look back and he locks up the rear wheel, spins it 180 and sits stopped in the middle of a curve on a state highway! Shaking his fist and finger at me a screaming something unpleasant at me.
I didn't understand how I got to be the source of his frustration, he was behind me, curved road no passing zone etc. I ignored him shrugged and went home and he didn't follow. I checked my brake lights and turn signals when I got home and it was all OK. I was driving my farm truck. A Ford F-250 super duty 4x4 with the brush rack, tool boxes and DMI rear bumper. And Yeah it was only a 9mm on my hip but I didn't feel too threatened by one skinny guy on a soft tail.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »
Some people are just looking for an excuse.  I don't know if most of them would actually do anything if you were actually face to face though I don't know how to tell the difference. 

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2015, 01:35:20 AM »
Some people are just looking for an excuse.  I don't know if most of them would actually do anything if you were actually face to face though I don't know how to tell the difference. 

It seems that bikers are more likely to act out physically if they are in groups.

Don't stop.  Call 911 and do not scream but tell them where you are, what's going on, and where you are tying to get to.  Don't stop - run red lights/stop signs with care but keep moving.  Do you have a passenger(s) that know how to use a handgun?  That SBS you have under the seat?  Can they work the cellphone without screaming?  Don't stop - there is nothing you want/need to say to them face-to-face or through a window rolled down a fraction of an inch.

I've heard that some of the "less-elegant" bikers carry a ball-peen hammer and will pound on your metalwork if they are pissed at you.  As far as I'm concerned so long as they don't try to break glass they can do anything they want.  (I may be startled and momentarily lose control should they go after the glass.)

stay safe.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2015, 02:42:27 AM »
For absolute best handling of a road rager, I have to give props to Bedlamite

We were on I43, heading south from Green Bay. Don't remember what (if anything) we had done to pee in this guys Post-Toasties, but he was bound and determined to get into it.

Traffic got a lil heavier, rager tailgaiting us. Bedlamite spotted a VERY small hole in the traffic, said "hang on", and BOOM, downshift and we're through the hole and gone.

No fingers, shouting, or anything. Just pure evasion. Although it would have been nice to have a second or so more warning between "hang on" and the downshift...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)