Author Topic: Well Whataburger can officially pound sand  (Read 6839 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Well Whataburger can officially pound sand
« on: July 03, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
No open carry in Whataburger.

http://whataburger.com/company/pressreleasedetail/whataburger-addresses-open-carry-policy

And it is their official policy to have minimum wage workers ask armed people to leave the store.   :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Well Whataburger can officially pound sand
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:15:12 AM »
well pluck them too.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 09:30:53 AM »
I completely support voting with your wallet, and it's not like I ever go there anyway.

I gotta say though, that's one of the more reasonable letters I've seen on the subject.  He doesn't say it's about safety, or any other BS.  The guy flat says it's because of whiners feelings, and he's trying to run a business.

If one liked Whataburger's food (again I don't eat there) it might be worth an e-mail to ask him what kind of numbers of gun owners you'd need to swear off Whataburger to counter the "many customers and employees". If all feedback is listened to and valued the same, he might be open to change given a large enough, reasoned campaign.

Or you could go to Wendy's.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:41:15 AM »
Yup, it's all about the numbers. If he had stats showing some worthwhile to him percentage of customers open carried or were in favor, I guarantee he would be telling the whiny employees and customers to get bent. And I'm guessing the percentage of whiners is actually small, but loud.

Gun owners need to ask the gays for the names of their attorneys.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 10:52:01 AM »
The local Chicken Express has the 2nd Amendment printed on the bottom of their receipts and a Green Circle with a Gun in it on their doors along with the text stating legally carried guns allowed here!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »
Does Texas have open carry of handguns yet?  AFAIK, almost all of Whataburger's stores are in TX.  Maybe this is a reaction to all the idiots carrying black rifles into Starbucks and Target.  I can't say that I blame them. 

A more nuanced rule would be that all firearms most be concealed or discretely holstered with a strap or other retention device.  (Nuance is generally a bad idea for policy statements)
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »
The local Chicken Express has the 2nd Amendment printed on the bottom of their receipts and a Green Circle with a Gun in it on their doors along with the text stating legally carried guns allowed here!

I love their sign, with the chicken hurtling thru the air like a well-thrown football   :lol:
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »
Can't fault them for making what appears to be a solid business-based decision (as opposed to a touchy-feely TEOTWAWKI Brady-center-driven one). I can respect that even if I don't agree with it. They remain solidly neutral on concealed carry so I'll give them a pass on this one.

Zxcv... Gov Abbott signed open carry into law a couple weeks ago. Goes into effect Jan 1, 2015. Only stipulation is open-carriers must have a CHL.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:42:19 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »
I had the initial "OMG" reaction to this, but its actually not bad, and i won't go elsewhere as a result. This, to me, is like a dress code. the subtext is "We don't mind guns, but some people whined, so keep it hidden"

Interesting thought, though. I wonder how the libtards would react if a business said "You can be gay in our store... just not OPENLY gay"

think we have a discrimination case?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 11:23:30 AM »
There are a few in Tucson. From what I've seen of the cliental, It won't make much difference. Mostly soccer moms, middle/ high school kids and a few service techs (plumbers, electricians) stopping for lunch. 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 11:47:15 AM »

Gov Abbott signed open carry into law a couple weeks ago. Goes into effect Jan 1, 2015 [sic]. Only stipulation is open-carriers must have a CHL.

Cool.  Now if they'd just recognize my MN license, like all the other states between here and there.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 11:57:18 AM »
Oops, should have said Jan 1, 2016 effective date.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »
Oops, should have said Jan 1, 2016 effective date.

Brad
You really should stop living in the past and just move on.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 12:25:33 PM »
Apparently the places around here that use the name and have the A-frame building are not in fact Whataburgers.  Which is good because as of last night they were still not freaking out when I sat down to eat.  Pretty much unless it's prohibited by law I carry, and pretty much I open carry.

I give props to the real Whataburger folks for coming out and saying they are giving in to a vocal minority that might stir up noise and discord, thus endangering their bottom line.  It's honest.

My experience is that most folks don't notice, and the ones that do want to know if it's a Glock Fo'tay or a 1911.  (I do not recall any revolver being made in either of those models.)  Maybe the next time I'm near a Mommies Demanding Attention gathering I'm going to suddenly stop and yell "She's got a baby!  Run for your lives!" just to see how much panic it stirs up, based on the theory it's not what you say but how you say it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 12:35:47 PM »
My experience is that most folks don't notice, and the ones that do want to know if it's a Glock Fo'tay or a 1911.  (I do not recall any revolver being made in either of those models.)

Colt made some changes to the Bisley in 1911, resulting in a "1911 Model" revolver.  I don't recall ever seeing one rollmarked as such, though.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
To quote a modern Western: "Well...bye."

They made their decision, I've made mine. I've been  frequent customer over many years. No more.

ETA: My e-mail reply-

Greetings:

In response to your policy decision regarding open carry in Texas,I respect your right to make decisions regarding your business operations. However, to be unwelcoming to patrons conducting a lawful activity is unacceptable to me, as I consider it discriminatory. In making a concession to the fear and paranoia of one group you insult and disregard the freedom and dignity of another. The predictions of bloody streets in the wake of concealed carry did not materialize. Open carry will have the same result. This long-time patron will no longer darken your door unless and until you reconsider.

Sincerely,

SADShooter
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:29:41 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »
Does Texas have open carry of handguns yet?  AFAIK, almost all of Whataburger's stores are in TX.  Maybe this is a reaction to all the idiots carrying black rifles into Starbucks and Target.  I can't say that I blame them. 

A more nuanced rule would be that all firearms most be concealed or discretely holstered with a strap or other retention device.  (Nuance is generally a bad idea for policy statements)

No.  It goes into effect Jan 1st 2016.
And you still have to have a valid CHL to open carry. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
The only legal open carry in TX right now is long guns. I've seen the kind of mouth breathing retards that TX has as OC advocates. I think it should be legal to buy integrally suppressed full auto short barreled rifles with under barrel grenade launchers out of a vending machine, but if I owned a business there I'd ban the Fatty and Snowboots crowd too.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 01:03:44 PM »
The only legal open carry in TX right now is long guns. I've seen the kind of mouth breathing retards that TX has as OC advocates. I think it should be legal to buy integrally suppressed full auto short barreled rifles with under barrel grenade launchers out of a vending machine, but if I owned a business there I'd ban the Fatty and Snowboots crowd too.

Long guns and antiques.  The retards should be carrying Ruger Old Armies and other antique handguns -- in holsters.
"It's good, though..."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 01:18:28 PM »
This is what they banned.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »
I see the OC Tarrant County folk as useful in a "Deal with reasonable folk like me or you get to deal with the ammotards," way.  Nope, not hanging out with them or participating in their antics, but they have pushed the OC issue and kept it front burner in the legislature.

TSRA has done good work over time, but it sure seemed like they were dragging their feet on OC.  OCTC worked around them and lit a fire under legicritters sympathetic to them.

I sure as hell am not going to play tone police or direct fire at folk who are pretty much on my side.  Shooting allies is the sort of thing pathetic moderates looking to impress the other side do.  Screw that noise.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »
I see the OC Tarrant County folk as useful in a "Deal with reasonable folk like me or you get to deal with the ammotards," way.  Nope, not hanging out with them or participating in their antics, but they have pushed the OC issue and kept it front burner in the legislature.

TSRA has done good work over time, but it sure seemed like they were dragging their feet on OC.  OCTC worked around them and lit a fire under legicritters sympathetic to them.

I sure as hell am not going to play tone police or direct fire at folk who are pretty much on my side.  Shooting allies is the sort of thing pathetic moderates looking to impress the other side do.  Screw that noise.

OCTC has dopne nothing but get OC banned in a number of retail establishments and make passage more difficult and uncertain in the legislature. If someone is "on my side" but doing things that actively harm the cause then I'll feel free to criticize them.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »
OCTC has dopne nothing but get OC banned in a number of retail establishments and make passage more difficult and uncertain in the legislature. If someone is "on my side" but doing things that actively harm the cause then I'll feel free to criticize them.

This... OCT and the operatards that go full-movie-commando at places have been directly responsible for 30.06 signs going up. I'm actually amazed their "efforts" didn't derail open carry in TX entirely.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 03:02:41 PM »
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=42540&start=0

For the TL;DR sort CL Cotton says TSRA was not opposed to OC, but also not willing to push for OC.  Not their priority, etc., etc.  This was in 2011.  All very defensible and reasonable and honest, but "not opposing and not promoting" is in the neighborhood of "feet dragging" territory.

I have little doubt the rising crescendo of vocal support for open carry has been part of the reason that TSRA has moved from their 2011 position to being somewhat more in favor of OC.  OCT and OCTC are part of this.

FTR, I think a whole lot of Cotton and I think TSRA has done yeoman work on RKBA over the years.  I give them $$$ in the form of memberships, but they have been dragging their feet on OC for some years.  They need someone to light a fire under them every once in a while, especially since one or more of their better lobbyists are not gunny-types.

I do not look at loud OC advocates and the TSRA as "either/or," but rather as "yes, more."

OC in Texas still has a way to go, as it still requires a permit.  Same with CC.

Oh, and for those getting confused by the acronyms:
TSRA = Texas State Rifle Association, an NRA-like advocacy group that has done good work on the RKBA in Texas over the years.
CC = Concealed Carry
OC = Open Carry
OCT = Open Carry Texas, an OC advocacy organization
OCTC = Open Carry Tarrant County, a splinter from OCT.  "Fattie & Boots" were part of this org.  Main source of heartburn for some folks.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
From my memory, OC wasn't a significant mainstream issue at all until 2 or 3 sessions ago.  It was talked about occasionally, but never a serious issue.  TSRA was focused on improving concealed carry and protecting shooting ranges and such.  All important stuff.  I remember there was an online poll circulated that got a great deal of support and then the issue got a lot of attention in the next session.  My impression was that TSRA was more or less blind sided by it and wasn't prepared to work for it in that session.  Since then, I thought they had added it to their agenda.  I could be wrong. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge